Using Starcraft in a college essay.

Joeyray's Bar
I'm aware that the responses here might be a tad biased, seeing as all of you are probably starcraft players. But see, this one college that I'm applying to has the essay question of "Tell us about an interest or experience you have/have had" and my mind immediately said STARCRAFT! I could easily write up to 300 words about how analytical I get when I'm watching my old replays and such, and how I watch pro games to try to better my strategy.

What do you guys think?
sure. But that could vary depending on colleges. You might want to see how hostile it is to gaming first.
Agreed. There are some people that simply do not appreciate the complexities of internet gaming.
Here here.
08/11/2011 01:00 PMPosted by Thundercrash
Agreed. There are some people that simply do not appreciate the complexities of internet gaming.

Sadly....but I heard from a little birdy that some colleges actually have starcraft teams lol

Sadly....but I heard from a little birdy that some colleges actually have starcraft teams lol

You wouldn't happen to know which, would you? Just curious. I also heard about some university down in the southern states where some prof did a paper about the online gaming sub-culture. I haven't actually read it, but we need more people rooting for us in the real world.
Here here!
If you compared Starcraft to college sports, it would put a new perspective on it, as well as helping to ease any anti-gaming prejudices your proffessor may have. Just like college football, you practice Starcraft in order to get better. Winning requires an extensive knowledge of the game, as well as a good grasp of strategy, and (at least in team games) teamwork. Good players study the methods of better players in order to increase their skill. Strategies in both starcraft and football have become sciences of their own.

Just a thought
300 word essay?

college?

wtfamireading.jpg
My highschool has a BW and DotA/Hon team, and our captain put that in his resume for university and didn't get rejected. And it wasn't a crappy university. Its the most prestigious in the province. I guess it won't hurt since they can't exactly judge you unless its overly unorthodox , but don't explain that you play it every waking hour over summer vacation and its the only thing you've got.
Good luck. Make all of our kind look good, and I hope you get in.
have you considered attending DigiPen?
300 word essay?

college?

wtfamireading.jpg
Unfortunately some people are prejudiced against gaming. While I would like to write in a college essay about how overly complicated and stupid the admitance process is, I can't do that if I want to get in.
08/25/2011 10:03 AMPosted by PeterM
Unfortunately some people are prejudiced against gaming. While I would like to write in a college essay about how overly complicated and stupid the admitance process is, I can't do that if I want to get in.

It is a sad fact that on occasion, prejudice can impede/halt things like this. This is why you need to plan ahead. Check the general attitude towards gaming of the university/college that you are applying to. If the negative stuff is limited towards a few individuals, and not to the administration, don't worry about it. If the over all attitude is against it, then either pick some place else, or pick another, less sensitive topic.
I think your a wizard.
yer' a wizard harry
I wrote my 55% of grade final on eSports. 13 pages rationalizing how eSports are just as worthy of being sports as physical ones. Starcraft was my focus, but I used other eSports. It is doable, and easy if you care enough.