StarCraft Art of War - Warp Prism

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Strategy, tactics, and skill. At the heart of StarCraft II are the legion of skilled tacticians and brilliant strategists leading armies of zerg, protoss, and terrans to war across the scarred battlefields of the Koprulu Sector. Knowledge is power; the greatest commanders throughout history earned their victories not merely by virtue of strategic brilliance, but also by applying themselves to rigorous study of warfare and the tactics used by those who fought before them. You too can tap into this valuable resource, and that’s where StarCraft Art of War comes in.

Are you a veteran player? Are you new to StarCraft II and striving to improve your skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share their tactics, post replays, and provide advice for understanding and defeating today’s most popular units or strategies.

This week, we’re analyzing:

Warp Prism. As protoss, how have you made use of Warp Prisms since the 1.4 changes? When playing versus protoss (as any race), how have the changes to this unit affected your play?

Art of War Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and the Art of War guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their record, or perceived skill level.

• Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player. Claiming that a unit or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.

• No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.

• Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.

• Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide replays illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos or replays please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action in which you’re referring.

• Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills.
what's better use of a single warp prism, double prong attack, or army reinforcement on-field?

anyone work on this speed prism pvp i saw in gstl i think?

sry bout that, dax.
I personally like to burn out an observer, followed by a warp prism, followed by another observer whenever I make a robo (assuming I'm not desperately scrambling to hold some sort of pressure). This lets you have a warp prism out on the map very quickly, allowing you to scout, do annoying Zealot drops, or to just position it for later use.

If you can time it right, try dropping as you're attacking with your main army. Also, drop other Protoss players. Seriously, we suck at drop defense in PvP (just, on the whole) >_<
I haven't played since the patch...But I realise this along with the immortal change will make me look like a copy cat.

tougher Warp Prisms, means it will be more likely that players will make them...The mass drops will be back in the game.
10/06/2011 08:06 PMPosted by Fenix
sry bout that, dax.

S'okay =).
i have also been working with 4 zealot FE off 2 gates. chrono probes until core is done, then drop double gas, and double robo. chrono obs + immo 1st, then 2 immo, then prism + immo. go generally zealot/sentry, and get twilight OR support bay.

i end up with 2 prisms, one for the army, one for 2 immo drop for gas/tech/pylon snipe w/ zealot warp-ins.
I've been using it a lot more efficiently as harass, however my harass itself needs to be better, but the upgrade has definitely helped give Protoss a better harassing unit. I like to go with DT drop into the main during late game while the main battle is going, it really hinders them if I don't win the main battle.
I've actually done warp prism drops...not warp-ins, dropping immortals, chargelots, blinkstalkers, archons. Bring phoenix's to lift up da siege tanks too...
5gate robo one base attack. CRUSHES any kind of terran build as long as you micro well.
Before I say this I want to note that currently the Warp Prism is fine, Its not making to much of a change that I can see on the game with this latest patch.

That being said.

I find it kinda annoying that the strongest race by design, now has the fastest, most durable dropship that can reinforce the drop every 45 seconds (This being the longest possible waiting time.) We all know what drops are a very potent tool for each race, but the protoss have this ability called Force Field, And they can drop into your base, and then FF your ramp before warping in a ton of units to destroy the core structures you need. Quite honestly I think that the warp prism didn't need that powerful of a Hp buff, for a dropship as dangerous as the Warp Prism, it should be slightly more vulnerable then it is now.

Once again, with this being said I do not think that currently it has made to much of a difference, these are just my views on the change.
I see Warp Prism play being used much more often, regardless of me watching pro people use it or just me use it (my favorite race is Protoss). Because of the health upgrade, I feel it could be used just as much as other harasses, such as Medivac drop and Mutalisk harrassment. In addition to the attacks, you can effectively harass two bases, because of Dark Templars or High Templar drops. In conclusion, I like this change very much and will see it affect people's economy (harassing the mineral or gas line of an enemy Zerg, Terran, or fellow Protoss player), decision-making (what units to drop-off and what units to warp-in), and the overall skill and timing attacks.

However, I feel that not only should Warp Prisms have a power field, but Motherships too. Can anyone tell me why that change hasn't been implemented (not trying to question the rule of Blizzard, but I would like to know why the Mothership, the most powerful unit in the game doesn't have a power field around it)?
What kind of units or unit compositions do you use in your drops, both early game and later? What seems to be most effective (or annoying, if you've found yourself on the receiving end)?
will be trying osiris' idea soon.

melody, the shuttle in BW was the fastest transport, though there were no FFs. sentry dropping or warp-in can be effective, but not often cost-effective by itself.

now, due to the durability increase, it is much more cost effective to go speed-prism, and possibly multiple prism style. need to try unit composition drops, like zealot/DT, or DT/immo, or HT/DT... or DT/sentry, or ARCHON/SENTRY...

i usually put 2 immos in a prism, and harass/snipe. i would assume we could talk about all the match-ups, and drops are effective against all players for multiple reasons, but in different ways. protoss and terran, you're looking for supply often. zerg are more vulnerable to tech snipes, and terran add-ons are good to get, especially reactors.
10/06/2011 08:17 PMPosted by DeadlyMelody
I find it kinda annoying that the strongest race by design, now has the fastest, most durable dropship that can reinforce the drop every 45 seconds (This being the longest possible waiting time.) We all know what drops are a very potent tool for each race, but the protoss have this ability called Force Field, And they can drop into your base, and then FF your ramp before warping in a ton of units to destroy the core structures you need. Quite honestly I think that the warp prism didn't need that powerful of a Hp buff, for a dropship as dangerous as the Warp Prism, it should be slightly more vulnerable then it is now.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but by the time a Warp Prism is out on the field, you can easily counter it if you are going 1) Medivacs with a Viking or 2) Thors. Compared to Terran drops, the Warp Prism must be stationary and can provide units to be dropped in. However, if there is a Siege Tank, they can easily blast away the warping-in unit and making the Warp Prism relocate. By this time, a Terran player will be en route to your base, all sieged-mode and ready to go, but his main base will be under fire. He or she will hope that you're getting ready for an attack, that you will concentrate your attention to your main army and not your attack. You'll miss one on accident and have his troops destroy yours. As I stated above or possibly on the previous page, using a Warp Prism is an economical choice and anyways you can take your units back into the Warp Prism to avoid any costly losses. This is in my opinion, and I am an average Terran player learning to get better, but as Protoss I am in my best condition.