The Ghost, EMP, and Protoss

Protoss Discussion
11/29/2011 09:01 PMPosted by Soxes
Why does Ghost EMP remove Protoss shield AND energy?

Because Davie plays terran?

Are there any other units in the game who's abilities affect a race as a whole and not just serve as a "counter" to a specific unit/set of units?

Winfestor affects the whole race of every race and counters everything
I do complain about ghosts, I hate how my army is hard countered with a single unit, It would be better if ghosts only dry energy, that would be faire, but shields? really?

Archons are very different, even if they have additional damage aganist all zerg units and buildings, we don't see very often an only archon strategy win
04/27/2015 09:03 PMPosted by Flecha
I do complain about ghosts, I hate how my army is hard countered with a single unit, It would be better if ghosts only dry energy, that would be faire, but shields? really?

Archons are very different, even if they have additional damage aganist all zerg units and buildings, we don't see very often an only archon strategy win

If protoss had repair and healing options the EMP wouldn't bother me.
They are quite micro intensive however and if one mistakenly gets caught in the wrong hotkey group and you get into an engagement its over cause the ghost hotkeys will override stim and pretty much make you suicide the game

edit: tab does help with this but its quite often far too late already
Ghost are used mostly in late game and late game TvP engagements are probably one of the hardest thing to master in the game. If you miss to emp some HTs you are just dead. So no ghost aren't OP.
They're too hard to micro loool. It might not seem like much, but having a unit that overrides Stim is absurdly annoying - especially since a late game TvP fight is only gonna last like 3 seconds

Spending that fraction of a second switching from EMP to cast Stim is a big deal when there are infinitely more important things to manage like Vikings and army splitting

I'd probably use Ghosts a lot more if Stim would auto-cast like Zealot Charge :P
Poor attempt to disguise a QQ post. Ghosts are really hard to micro, in lots of different ways. And before you say: "So are HTs", let me just say that with Ghosts you can't just blindly blanket the enemy with EMPs as you can storm. You have to very specifically target the HTs during a battle, while remaining cloaked, while keeping your other army back, while trying to scan for observers and kill with vikings, while positioning for the big after battle.

So yeah, they work well but require a lot of skill to use effectively, too.
It is true that a ghost e.m.p. damages all protoss units but only their shielding so a units that are less reliant on shields would be better against ghosts. A high templar could also be used against ghosts because of feedback but that is not an easy thing to do against a good terran player. i also find (if your opponent has no detection) dark templar to be effective vs ghosts but again a ghost needs only emp and the dt is as good as dead.
I've always though EMP should be more selective..

• It makes some sense that EMPs can knock out a little bit of shields (energy burst vs energy shield = shield dmg?)
  • It makes sense that EMPs can affect mechanical units with energy (emp can shortcircuit/overload electronics)
  • It does not really make sense that EMPs affect bio units with energy (emp does not affect brain like it would affect electronics) .
  • If anything.. it should have a small stun-effect on mechanical units or something similar to that.. (Edit: but stuns are OP.. so ignore that)
    ~Just my thoughts..
    If emp was not able to reduce protoss shields, protoss would be unstoppable against terran. Protoss has to much health. 1 zealot has 3 x more health than a rine.
    06/12/2015 11:38 AMPosted by monster
    If emp was not able to reduce protoss shields, protoss would be unstoppable against terran. Protoss has to much health. 1 zealot has 3 x more health than a rine.

EMP is not essential, terrans do just fine without it. It is however the best counter to HTs and if you manage to carpet-emp a protoss army. Nomnoms ensues. Protoss army at half health and no energy due to an instant-effect is easy pickings.

I wouldn't justify EMP's all-encompassing effectiveness vs the Protoss race with "protoss has too much health". Terrans can deal with protoss fairly well and consistently without needing it. Same can't be said for protoss without colossus/HTs.