Mission briefing movies stutter

Mac Technical Support
Hi,

I'm going through the campaign and I noticed that every time a movie plays within a mission briefing cutscene (usually with a live 3D character portrait on the left), that movie seems to jump backwards a fraction of a second about every second of playback, looking as if it were hiccuping at a very quick and steady rate. Everything else is fine about the briefing and the game overall. Even the training movies and the ones shown in the Armory, Cantina and Laboratory run fine.

Overall a pretty minor problem, but one I thought you might like to know about, as it detracts from the polished look of the game and happens before every mission.

I'm running 2560x1440 with Graphics Quality on Medium and Texture Quality on Ultra, resulting in 29fps.

I look forward to any comments, advice or questions. Thanks!

System specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B24
    SMC Version (system): 1.69f3
    Hardware UUID: E270D201-11AA-506F-96AE-892BF38E6378
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
      State: Enabled

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6741
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
    gMux Version: 1.9.23
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
    Displays:
      Color LCD:
        Resolution: 1680 x 1050
        Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
        Mirror: Off
        Online: Yes
        Built-In: Yes

DELL U2711:
        Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
        Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
        Display Serial Number: D971T04M1FWL
        Main Display: Yes
        Mirror: Off
        Online: Yes
        Rotation: Supported
        Connection Type: DisplayPort
        Television: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 11.2.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
    Time since boot: 3:23
Thanks for the report. Does it only stutter on this graphical setting? I'll see what I can find out about this.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The mechanical sheep with a heart of gold...
If at first you don't succeed... call it Version 1.0..
No, I've also been playing at 1920x1080 and 1680x1050, and also had the Graphics Quality setting on High for a while. None of those settings made any difference.
Looks like we are aware of this. This is something we are looking to address as well. It goes something like this, right?

1. Progress through the first mission.
    2. Notice the video playing in Joey Ray's Bar.

The playback is very un-fluid, it almost looks like its rewinding back every few seconds, right?

Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
When I moved my settings from Ultra (SC2 recommended) to High it got rid of the stutter.

Funny how the recommended settings are very generous! But in reality the performance hit forces me to knock things down to High/Medium.

Overall, though, Single Player is acceptable performance-wise.

Multi-Player on the other hand...well, that's already been addressed. (see every other fps spike thread).

On another note:

I hope Apple releases 10.7.3 soon with some driver updates that will improve overall performance and fix some of these nagging issues.

Tony, do you folks get to test out the developer seeds of the OS X updates as Apple releases them? Any predictions on 10.7.3 and SC2?
I personally do not do any of the testing. I'm just Mac tech support, thought I do work along with the team, I don't perform the same functions as them. I do know that our team does test out developer seeds with all of our games.

I'm not able to do any predictions on the next seed and SC2. But if I hear anything, I will pass this along.
It goes something like this, right?

1. Progress through the first mission.
    2. Notice the video playing in Joey Ray's Bar.

The playback is very un-fluid, it almost looks like its rewinding back every few seconds, right

I don't remember the one in Joey Ray's Bar specifically and I'm not in a position to check right now. Your description of the stutter is pretty good though.

As far as I can tell the problem applies to all the pre-rendered videos that are shown on a "holoscreen"-type surface in the otherwise live-3D-rendered mission briefings. Those videos almost always show scenes from the upcoming map to help the player understand the mission objectives, and all have a greenish low-fi look (which appears intentional).

The stutter does not appear on any other pre-rendered videos in other parts of the game.

Does this help narrow it down?
Yup it does. Thanks We're aware of this, and we're addressing it :)
I'm having the same stuttering issues with the mission briefing movie cutscenes on my early 2011 2.2 GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB and 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 of RAM running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

I have the default graphic settings which are mostly at ultra, although I tried knocking them down to high or medium, and I still get the stuttering. I made sure to also check my energy saver system preferences settings, and I do have graphics switching turned off. So it's not that.

Does SC2 perhaps run better on Mountain Lion?
I am having the exact same problem with my brand new iMac running 10.8.2
I, too, have started encountering this. I haven't played SC2 in a while, but came back in to run through the campaign again in advance of HotS releasing. I never had this trouble before. I have upgraded the version of OSX I run, as well as my video card and RAM since then, though. I'm running Lion (10.7.5) on a 1,1 Mac Pro (2 x 3 GHz Dual-core Xeon processors), 6 GB RAM, with an ATI Radeon 5770.

Due to the improved hardware, the game bumped up my default graphics settings from the last time I played. I think my first time through I was using custom settings somewhere between Medium and High, and now it was putting me at Extreme. I've tried lowering to Ultra and reducing the movie quality from High to Low, but it hasn't had much impact that I could see. The rest of the game runs perfectly fine at these settings, even the regular cinematics. It's only the video that purports to be running "on-screen" either showing in-engine material, or sometimes the TV newscasts.
I'm having the same problem, running a mountain lion macbook pro, 17-inch from early 2011 with 8 GB of DRAM. Choppy cutscenes, but only TV screens and pre-mission briefings.
I am in the same boat as Seedrive, though mine has been happening ever since patch 2.0.4.