Matchmaking Changes Have Been Reverted

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
I am so glad it is reverted. I don't know if it's bad luck or what but a majority of the time you fight favored or slightly favored and in very few games do you play as favored.

What I started to see was a bunch of noobs leaving games as soon as the game started just because the other team was favored. And it was really hard to move up/down on the ladder when every game you're either winning few points because you're favored, or losing few points because they're favored.

No one cares about team games....
Well, there goes laddering this season for me. I don't really have any interest in playing the same matchups over and over again, learning practically nothing because I'm facing players who are just as good as me.
I’m a little disappointed :) I think from a percentage standpoint all they had to do was cut off the top and bottom 5%. I think it’s a great idea for anyone that is NOT in Bonze or Grand Masters. I was actually looking forward to it. I get to help people under me and play people significantly higher than me, which means I can get promoted faster :). Boohoo…. Hopefully, they’ll figure it out.

**edit** It also allows you to try new strategies that you might not otherwise try when the matching system is so tight. If you play someone that is significantly lower than you, people are apt to try wonky builds.
Man I enjoyed the change.
This is sad. I really enjoyed the changes. High platinum player here. I liked being able to play lower people for a fun game that wouldn't affect my mmr much unless I lost and playing higher people that gave me the opportunity to jump quickly if I won, and not change me too much if I lost. I don't see what's not to love.
Is it really just an on/off switch? Don't you have a range to work with? Why not just make the range of opponents smaller/less extreme?

I wonder about the real reason this was axed so rapidly. It wasn't even really tested. Usually Blizzard will spend weeks to test things to avoid knee-jerk reactions. Why wasn't that the case here, even if it was only for a week or two?
:(

I wish we could choose to toggle that mode on or off and play with other players using it, or something.

I've been slaughtered by people way better than me, but somehow it was still fun. I was able to see tactics that people normally don't use, and even losing wasn't really painful because the player was obviously so much better.

Oh well.

The system was awful

I was always 'favored' or 'slightly favored' in my 1v1 games. When I won I would get 5 points.. a loss would net me -15 points.

I hated it.

Strange, it wasn't the same for me. I lost >10 points when I lost against people on a similar level as me, and gained the same when I won. When I lost to people way better than me, I'd lose 5-8 points only.
04/12/2012 12:33 PMPosted by mDuo
Care to elaborate what "undesirable consequences for players at the far ends of the range of skill" means?

My guess is that high Masters and GMs were annoyed that the quality of their ladder opponents is worse than normal (especially so for GMs who roflstomp 50% of their opponents already) while bronzies were getting frustrated at losing EVEN MORE than usual.
I think there's a possibility that when you introduced this change, Blizzard, more players played on the battle.net servers but since you reverted it... I think less players are playing now, I'm not sure but I think this is the case.
NOO!!! I was having fun playing againts Diamonds! OMG! why people cry so much for everything!!!! :-(

Edit: Im Plat BTW
NOO!!! I was having fun playing againts Diamonds! OMG! why people cry so much for everything!!!! :-(

Edit: Im Plat BTW
Welcome to the Blizzard forums :)
I am so glad it is reverted. I don't know if it's bad luck or what but a majority of the time you fight favored or slightly favored and in very few games do you play as favored.

What I started to see was a bunch of noobs leaving games as soon as the game started just because the other team was favored. And it was really hard to move up/down on the ladder when every game you're either winning few points because you're favored, or losing few points because they're favored.

No one cares about team games....

I used to think that, but as a Random player 1v1s got pretty boring/frustrating.

Anyway, your opinion in no way renders my remarks pointless. It was a mistake, and Blizzard's actions to revert the change were appropriate and well timed.
Because for team games masters were getting paired up with bad silver and plat teammates facing arranged top masters teams....
Well, off the top of my head, how can a bronze be matched up against someone worse? They would either play someone thier level or someone much better then them.... that can't be fun. Since bronze is by far the largest division, the idea probably wasnt a great one.
Idra complained, so they changed it
I personally really enjoyed the changes. I loved facing wide arrays of people. It altogether reminded me I wasn't completely terrible and still sucked.
They could easily adjust the formula so the players at the highest and lowest ends see no change, yet the people in the middle would. just sayin'.
Why not allow variance in matchmaking according to a Gaussian distribution

e^(-(x-mu)^2/(2 sigma^2))/(sqrt(2 pi) sigma)

That way the really good or really bad players don't suffer, and the middle players get more variety.
I'm still a bronze and I agree that it doesn't help the bronze out. While it does give bronze players a chance to experience better matches, they don't have a CHOICE.