Zurvivor Zerg: Rebirth Official Thread

Map Showcase
I decided to make a thread for my custom game, "Zurvivor Zerg: Rebirth". You can tell me your feedback, give suggestions, ask questions, etc., and I'll also post any updates of the game here.

Current Heroes; their roles and a brief description:

1) Marine (Assault)
^Marines have a high rate of fire and good armor, making them good fighters in nearly all circunstances. Best used with some support.
-High armor
-High rate of fire
-Higher mobility than other highly armored units
*Shares "Combat Shield" with the War Pigs

2) Ghost (Overwatch)
^Ghosts are meant for support at long range, and their abilities were made specifically for this job. Situational awareness is their best friend.
-Long weapon range
-High damage
-Can sprint to relocate quickly
*It's main weapon does double damage to Armored enemies

3) Marauder (Defense)
^Marauders work great when covering a given point. They are also highly effective support units and can heal friendly biological units.
-High health
-High damage
-High energy supply
*It can heal two biological allies at once

4) Spectre (Psychic)
^Spectres use their abilities to tip the balance of the fight in their favor, whether it be by stunning enemies or temporally controling them.
-Long weapon range
-Very high damage
-Over-average movement speed
*Highly effective against enemies with a lot of health

5) Commando (Commando)
^Commando unit. Elite Marines that are awarded upgraded weaponry as well as improved defensive capabilities to support squadrons under their command.
-High armor
-Can sprint to relocate quickly
-High energy supply
*Has the highest rate of fire

6) SCV (Builder)
^SCVs can quickly create bases for their allies, improving both their defensive and offensive capability. Be careful when using Siege Turrets!
-High base armor
-No fighting capability whatsoever.
-High movement speed
*Only survivor that can construct multiple permanent structures

7) Reaper (Demolitions Expert)
^Reapers are great in hit-and-run missions, plus their abilities can heavily weaken the enemy. Caution is adviced when using explosives!
-Can regenerate health quickly when not taking damage
-Good balance between rate of fire and damage
-High movement speed
*Can jump up and down cliffs

8) Firebat (Frontline)
^Firebats are meant for crowd control. They can take the most amount of damage and their abilities are meant to annihilate groups of enemies.
-High armor
-High base damage
-High energy supply
*Can take a lot of damage while it has shields

9) Hellion (Skirmish; "Copy-Cat")
^Hellions can do a lot of damage in a short time, and their speed grants a higher agility for effective shoot-and-scoot tactics and quick escapes.
-High health
-Very high damage
-High energy supply
*Has the highest movement speed

10) Vulture (Grenadier; "Copy-Cat")
^Grenadier unit. Vultures can bombard their foes with a wide variety of weapons, as well as provide defense with smoke grenades. Just don't help the enemy too!
-Over-average weapon range
-High damage
-High speed
*Only survivor that can permanently upgrade its rate of fire

11) Goliath (Multi-Task; "Copy-Cat")
^Goliaths are well-rounded heroes that can replace the role of other heroes, but they do not excel in a specific role themselves.
-Slightly over-average weapon range
-High rate of fire
-Over-average movement speed
*It can fill any role to a degree, but not as good as other heroes

12) Siege Tank (Support; "Copy-Cat")
^Siege Tanks can greatly weaken the enemy before they are within range of most allies. They are not effective when deployed at the front lines.
-High weapon range
-High armor
-High damage
*Its default ability can do heavy damage in a large area

13) Sentry (Caster; "Copy-Cat")
^Sentries rely on their abilities in the battlefield. They can be deployed in a supportive role or a defensive one, where they hold a point on their own.
-High health
-High rate of fire
-High energy supply
*Has the highest energy regeneration

14) Dark Stalker (Harasment; "Copy-Cat")
^Exiled renegades of the Protoss army, the Dark Stalkers teammed up with the Survivors and improved their arsenal with Terran technology for harassment.
-High health
-Good balance between rate of fire and damage
-High movement speed
*It's shields regenerate very slowly by default

New Update's main features:

- Fixed a bug with the lobby caused by patch 3.0.
- Unfortunately, couldn't fix the Zurvivor Siege Tank's attack bug, also caused by patch 3.0.
I see you haven't updated this in a while lol Wheres the Spectre Hero.
It's under the Marauder, and I just updated it
Hey, just wanted to say, pretty fun game.
Have played it a few times now, and have won once so far, ha.
The biggest problem is getting a good team I think, and once you do get a good team, winning is much easier. But of course, in public games, getting a good team is hard. I think it would be helpful if there was more waiting time at the start of the match, say an extra 15-30 seconds, so that people can organize their hero selections.
The heroes themselves are all fun to play, though some do seem better than others. I've had several games where the Firebat, for example, can just solo and tank himself to level 30, whereas some other heroes, while still fun, have a hard time getting kills and exp. So maybe some minor tweaking and balancing there.

Anyway, great map. I hope you plan on updating it with more things! Like difficulty options, different/new map and terrain, etc. Good luck!
I think it would be helpful if there was more waiting time at the start of the match, say an extra 15-30 seconds, so that people can organize their hero selections.

Do you mean in the lobby or before the waves start spawning?

08/13/2012 01:00 PMPosted by thewrongvine
The heroes themselves are all fun to play, though some do seem better than others. I've had several games where the Firebat, for example, can just solo and tank himself to level 30, whereas some other heroes, while still fun, have a hard time getting kills and exp.

Well, to be honest, any hero can solo if played right, and the Firebat's job is to take hits and fight groups of enemies, so that might be why if feels slightly easier to solo with it sometimes. However, once its shield is down, most often than not it'll get killed, so one still needs to come up with a strategy to prevent getting surrounded.

I do agree that some heroes do kill more due to different factors (abilities, rate of fire, damage, mercenaries hired), but I always found it better to focus on what your hero can do to help the team instead of how many kills it can get (some heroes are better at killing 10 zerglings while others can take down 5 Ultralisks with ease). As a side note, all heroes can always do something to get a higher amount of kills, whether it be by casting abilities or getting some reinforcements.

And thanks for playing
I mean after the game starts before the waves start spawning, like a short "hero selection phase", so people can talk and plan out who they are going to be.

Are you planning on updating the game with more content/stuff?
I mean after the game starts before the waves start spawning, like a short "hero selection phase", so people can talk and plan out who they are going to be.

Are you planning on updating the game with more content/stuff?

I think I can increase the time until waves begin. And yes, I'm constantly adding/fixing things. I also play the game often to see if there's anything that might need changes/fixes, or if someone suggests something that can prove useful
I really enjoy the game!

I would like to ask for some tips on making it far in the game.

I seem to get swarmed rather early. I understand this is a team game, so teamwork and composition matters a lot. But what are some individual player tips that can be helpful for beginners?

Edit: Okay, after playing some more games (great job btw, it gets better each time I play), I have some specific questions I would like to ask.

- What are some upgrades that players should prioritize? The mercenaries purchases often seem to die out quick if you aren't micro'ing it in and out of combat. So I either end up wasting vespene with poor micro or just don't bother with mercenaries. Improve Skill option seems to be a great one that I go for first now. But I'm still wondering if this is a economic move.

- It seems SCV is a must (but this may be just prejudice carrying over from other "defense" type of games where a unit that produces static defense is often very valuable). But it seems like either SCV isn't being played properly or the structures are too weak to keep up with the increasing swarm later on. Would 2 SCV play be more survivable? Is 1 SCV optimal?
I really enjoy the game!

I would like to ask for some tips on making it far in the game.

I seem to get swarmed rather early. I understand this is a team game, so teamwork and composition matters a lot. But what are some individual player tips that can be helpful for beginners?

Edit: Okay, after playing some more games (great job btw, it gets better each time I play), I have some specific questions I would like to ask.

- What are some upgrades that players should prioritize? The mercenaries purchases often seem to die out quick if you aren't micro'ing it in and out of combat. So I either end up wasting vespene with poor micro or just don't bother with mercenaries. Improve Skill option seems to be a great one that I go for first now. But I'm still wondering if this is a economic move.

- It seems SCV is a must (but this may be just prejudice carrying over from other "defense" type of games where a unit that produces static defense is often very valuable). But it seems like either SCV isn't being played properly or the structures are too weak to keep up with the increasing swarm later on. Would 2 SCV play be more survivable? Is 1 SCV optimal?

In that order:

- As an individual, try to use your abilities as often and efficiently as you can (try to not waste them), learn the strengths of the hero you're using and play accordingly, avoid dying too often, and, if you feel like the enemy is far too strong for your hero, get some mercenaries to increase your firepower. I feel that mercenaries are too underestimated nowadays.

- The upgrades vary on the situation. If you are sure that the enemy will have a hard time getting through the defensive line, you can concentrate on getting actual upgrades or massing mercenaries and putting them behind your heroes so they can farm experience.

Mercenaries can be highly effective, but they need the chance to level up a bit. Also, each mercenary has a "special" trait. For example, Hel's Angels and Dusk Wings deal extra damage to air and ground respectively, War Pigs have a very high damage potential since they come in packs of 4, and Jackson's Revenge, aside of having two abilities and having the most health, gets the same upgrades per level as a hero.

Upgrade Abilities is a great upgrade to get. Unlike armor and weapon upgrades, which are more effective on some heroes but not as much on others, it will have a possitive effect on every ability; even the extra abilities get a benefit from it. Most of the time it'll be a great choice

- Like I have always said, SCV is not needed to win. The problem is that people become too dependent on their buildings so they do not get mercenaries. Therefore, if the buildings fall, so does the team that relied on them. Mercenaries are extremely helpful in games with no SCV since they increase your damage output and the amount of guns firing at the enemy. Before 1.5, most of the people that played ZZR were used to playing both with and without an SCV, so I see no reason why the new players cannot adapt to playing without one. Having an SCV can be quite helpful, but it also has its drawbacks.

One of the main problems with SCV players is that if they want to rush to get the Zurvivor, they will not spend their Vespene in structure upgrades for a long time. As waves progress, the enemy gets stronger, but not the buildings, so the outcome is quite obvious. Other than that, there are some enemies that deal double damage to turrets; mainly Ultralisks, Aberrations, Immortals, Bosses, and I think Hybrid Reavers too.

The amount of SCVs doesn't really matter. It's the amount of skill the player has that should be the highest priority. Like with normal heroes, SCV players need to cooperate with the team, have some situational awareness, and try to build in order to help their allies rather than be the first to get Zurvivor or have the highest amount of kills.

It's good to know that you like the game :P
@SierraFoxOne: I suggest getting the Hero Spec Upgrade First. For Example For the Marine Combat Shields to increase life and armor if I remember correctly. I personally do not use Mercs due the fact that I like to solo a lot. Now for the SCV I suggest 1 if you have a decent SCV. If SCV I suggest getting P.T. and Barricades then go for Siege Turrets then Healing Towers. Also if you do not have a SCV buy Mercs for they WILL will make the difference in the game.

P.S. Glad you love the game =D
Any team (almost any team{except the team where a member nukes allies} can win with 2 SCV. Best strategy I have found to level the playing field would be for 2 offensives hold the far corners from where the SCV(s) are setting up or leave one corner unblocked to allow SCV to earn vespene. For good reason SCV is the most vespene heavy unit, I have began using vespene mine to convert mineral to vespene. Early game not very effective because you need mineral to build your defenses but mid and late game not a bad piece of equipment. Invite me if you see me on. Peace
It'd be nice if there was some kind of persistent leveling system. Fantastic game, but I think having a reason to play game after game would possibly put it into the top 10.
08/27/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Ash
It'd be nice if there was some kind of persistent leveling system. Fantastic game, but I think having a reason to play game after game would possibly put it into the top 10.

Well, the main reasons that the leveling system is not persistent are:
- I have no experience with making a bank system in the editor.
- Starting a game with a high level unit will make the early game too unbalanced.
- It's not hard to get to the max level in one game (due to the high amount of enemies that spawn).
- It could possibly make the people that solo for experience/vespene even more violent when someone comes next to them (which is already a big problem, especially in games with no SCV).
Doesn't necessarily need to be freebies involved. Maybe have new classes that are unlocked as you play or maybe some unique perks for units depending on your overall experience. Little things.

Banks are kind of intimidating, but they're easy if you ever get a chance to see a simple example of how they work.
Doesn't necessarily need to be freebies involved. Maybe have new classes that are unlocked as you play or maybe some unique perks for units depending on your overall experience. Little things.

Banks are kind of intimidating, but they're easy if you ever get a chance to see a simple example of how they work.

Well, there's different things you can do depending on your overall knowledge of the game (and the one you get with each game). You can learn to do different tricks with each hero. You can also attempt different strategies in different areas of the map, not just stick to one every game.

I'm not sure about restricting certain classes to people since each was made for a different playstyle. It's better to play what you want until you decide to try new stuff than grinding a unit that you do not like to play as to get one that you don't even know how it will feel like. I understand why you're suggesting it, but I don't want to add too much restrictions into how people want to play.
Pretty good game, and you are able to replay it and feel a new experience each time by choosing a new hero/role. Moreover, the number of available heroes/abilities is not excessive like in other Custom maps, where you become overwhelmed with too many choices.

I would really like to see how you are planning to expand this game. Maybe you are planning to do PvZ instead of TvZ. I can see it now: a new map resembling Auir where probes and Heroes fight the Zerg swarm.
Pretty good game, and you are able to replay it and feel a new experience each time by choosing a new hero/role. Moreover, the number of available heroes/abilities is not excessive like in other Custom maps, where you become overwhelmed with too many choices.

I would really like to see how you are planning to expand this game. Maybe you are planning to do PvZ instead of TvZ. I can see it now: a new map resembling Auir where probes and Heroes fight the Zerg swarm.

I have been thinking in making a Protoss version, but that may take a while. For now I may add smaller things. For example: the next patch includes a new caster mercenary unit
a new caster mercenary unit? oh boy I cant wait to see it in action :)

Have you thought about adding a new hero as well? It could be a non-warrior support class just like the SCV is. This option could be an alternative for people who do not like to hack/slash or build all game long.

For example: a medic that is able to heal HP and energy of other units and has other nifty spells to help out other players. More specifically, It could provide momentary buffs to the stats of warriors nearby and it could also help the SCV with resource drops that could be picked around the map (a nice mini-game that would keep medics busy running around the map). Finally, it could assist in global defence by using Mass Recall of other warriors in order to protect a location, or Cloaking Field to increase survivability of buildings/warriors momentarily.
a new caster mercenary unit? oh boy I cant wait to see it in action :)
Have you thought about adding a new hero as well? It could be a non-warrior support class just like the SCV is. This option could be an alternative for people who do not like to hack/slash or build all game long.

For example: a medic that is able to heal HP and energy of other units and has other nifty spells to help out other players. More specifically, It could provide momentary buffs to the stats of warriors nearby and it could also help the SCV with resource drops that could be picked around the map (a nice mini-game that would keep medics busy running around the map). Finally, it could assist in global defence by using Mass Recall of other warriors in order to protect a location, or Cloaking Field to increase survivability of buildings/warriors momentarily.

Well, I've been working to see if I add a new hero, but currently it's more of a harassing unit instead of a fully supportive one. The role of a "Medic" hero is currently somewhat covered by the Marauder (for biological heroes) and the Sentry (for mechanical ones; the SCV can also be included in this area). Furthermore, the role you described is very similar to the one the Wyvern, the new mercenary unit, is made for.

The idea of getting supply drops sounds interesting, but it would be an extremely hard, if not nearly-impossible, job for a non-combatant unit to do (especially with the number of enemies that spawn), and I'm not even sure if an SCV hero would/should need a supply drop throughout the game, aside of getting Smart Shells and the Zurvivor
Hi, first I would like to give a thumbs up for this awesome game, second to ask if it is legal something that I've seen lately about some players farming kills using de broodlords in order to get early reinforcements althought it´s something dificult to acomplish, I tried myselft to do it and it´s quite helpfull but not the mean of the game so just wondering if that would be legal or are you going to change that fact. Third I have acomplish this game soloing to the point of reaching the second end all alone, I would like some ingame history system to count how many times you´ve acomplished zurvivor and to increase the dificulty of the game just like for example: there is going to be an extra queen after you win 30 times, an extra ultralisk after you win 60 times and extra archon by wining 100 times, I don´t know but I would expect some recognition to some of those players that already know what´s next inside the game after playing for some time. Thanks