http://i.imgur.com/qEHMY.jpg

Map Thread:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=339713
Okay.. I finally finished the project. Available on NA as Khaydaria

Overview:
http://i.imgur.com/qEHMY.jpg

Map Thread:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=339713

as a high level player let me address some really bad things about the map that should be resolved.

1. The 4th base expos are "forward". Meaning if both players have 4 bases, the distance between one another is far too close. Its too tempting to engage. Because of this, i feel long term people will stay 3 base longer than expected or have their 4th towards the side.

2. The 4 player spawn positions gives spawn postional advantage. I find that silly since its going to be another "antiga shipyard situation" where 1 player's 3rd base cant be near their natural. It should be cross positional enforced.

3. 100% no dead air space. I mean even 1% is ok, but having 100% is just like cloud kingdom all over again. Makes drop impossible and easily caught by level high protoss. They dont even need obs, just a pylon to know if its coming.
Very odd 4 player map. I looked at it the first time, and thought it was a 2P map... The 2 and 8 o'clock mains don't feel like main bases to me.

Perhaps you should extend the high ground towards those bases, similarly to how it extends towards the 11 and 5 o'clock bases.
It would improve map balance and symmetry IMO.
If it was a TvX, couldn't the Terran player use a siege tank in his main to attack a players 3rd base if it wasn't cross spawn?
I like it!

So, I see you are back to making maps IronManSC. You were saying a few months ago you were thinking of quitting, but I am glad you stayed.
looks beautiful, very nice work. balanced or not, i want to play it
Looks...Zerg favored
Love the map. Please disregard my Zerg favored comment, that was just based on the looks of it. Send this in for Season 8, this is a great map. Good job comrade.
Looks nice, but why does the high ground differ with spawns?
Horizontal spawns look imbalanced. 11/5 o'clock gets a less harassable third, and a very defensible fourth on the high ground. Meanwhile 2/8 gets a third right next to their opponent's main and has a low ground 4th with wider entrances and no ramp. And they need to travel further to attack or defend multiple locations. Disable them maybe?

2. The 4 player spawn positions gives spawn postional advantage. I find that silly since its going to be another "antiga shipyard situation" where 1 player's 3rd base cant be near their natural. It should be cross positional enforced.

This is what I thought. Cross spawns are more fair anyway. I was never a fan of straight 4 player maps because theres always that random factor of scouting someone last or first.
Too many bases, 16 bases for a 1v1 game is a little rediculous imo. Other than that, if you took some bases out it looks fine.

Hey ironman, what do you think about making a 3 player map & each race spawns in designated spots like Zerg always spawns north position, Protoss always south & Terran always east. The Zergs spawning spot, for instance, is balanced in a way that favors Zerg, Terrans spot favors them & Protoss how it favors them. The middle of the map would be most difficult IMO, you probably know better than I, however. What do you think of the tvface idea? Just something to think about.
Too many bases, 16 bases for a 1v1 game is a little rediculous imo. Other than that, if you took some bases out it looks fine.

Hey ironman, what do you think about making a 3 player map & each race spawns in designated spots like Zerg always spawns north position, Protoss always south & Terran always east. The Zergs spawning spot, for instance, is balanced in a way that favors Zerg, Terrans spot favors them & Protoss how it favors them. The middle of the map would be most difficult IMO, you probably know better than I, however. What do you think of the tvface idea? Just something to think about.

So... what happens when there's a mirror?
5 and 11 o'clock are identical to each other but not identical to 2 and 8 o'clock.

5 and 11 only have 1 small ledge where reapers and colossus can use their ledge abilities.

Also is 1 Zel'naga Tower wise choice? Holding 1 is easy and can be game breaking like on Antiga Shipyard.

as a high level player let me address some really bad things about the map that should be resolved.

1. The 4th base expos are "forward". Meaning if both players have 4 bases, the distance between one another is far too close. Its too tempting to engage. Because of this, i feel long term people will stay 3 base longer than expected or have their 4th towards the side.

3. 100% no dead air space. I mean even 1% is ok, but having 100% is just like cloud kingdom all over again. Makes drop impossible and easily caught by level high protoss. They dont even need obs, just a pylon to know if its coming.

Dead air space is a bad thing though. It makes it too easy for Terran to abuse lift off in a base race and hide buildings. Just playing Terran shouldn't mean you auto win a base race...

Completely not having it would make terrans unable to drop "look at cloud kingdom for reference". They dont even need the minimum requirement of obs in the field to catch the drops. They can have pylons instead since there is the ground so close to the ends of the map
As a 2 player cross-spawn map, I think this is excellent and I would play it if it were in the ladder pool. However, I think there are a couple slight positional imbalances that would prevent it from having all 4 spawns enabled.

1) The radial symmetry almost always forces small imbalances when players start in close positions. One player's third can be shot at from the other's main base or is within easy reach of drops.

2) Specific to your map, I think there is an imbalance between the 4th bases (the ones with the single geyser). Half are on the high ground, half are on the low ground. In close positions, this gives one player a significant defensive advantage later in the game because it is far easier to defend the top of a ramp than the bottom of one.
05/24/2012 12:35 AMPosted by dainbramage
So... what happens when there's a mirror?

it's just a fun idea that might hold some creativity & promise but i didn't think of that rofl

good save entropicxg hahahah....