Why the widow mine won't work

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Imagine how effective storm would be, if a storm cloud appeared over the area for 10 seconds before it went off, or how effective fungal would be if a pool of goo appeared under the units about to be fungaled.

Look at how super effective storm and fungal have been in StarCraft 2 and how totally useless HMS has been. Most of this has been how you can easily avoid the splash damage of a HSM compared to a storm or a fungal.

The widow mine attacks the first unit it sees so there for it will be very easy to micro against. In fact the widow mine will be very easy to remove. All you have to do is send 1 zergling ahead to pick up mines. And when that mine attaches its self to a zergling all it has to do is run for you mineral line.

What Blizzard should do is make it so you can’t see which unit the widow mine is targeting unless you have some form of detection.
What's HMS and HSM?

And by the way, a good player won't just burrow them into the ground. They will burrow them during engagements in strategic spots.

Perhaps even a drop can be done with the mine that can destroy tons of workers while stopping gathering at that base. Not a huge investment, really cost effective.
Are you sure? I'll ask you these two questions. Unless you can answer these with 100% confidence and give me a link to your source (make sure it is a realiable one), this thread is quite pointless.

1) Do Widow Mines do friendly splash damage?

2) Can multiple Widow Mines attach to a single unit?
Widow mine is not supposed to be an offensive spell like storm or fungal. It's supposed to be a map control tool.
The widow mine does not do friendly splash and is cost effective 1v1 versus every unit in the game except for zergling/marine/workers and arguably zealot.

If you manage to detonate on multiple mobs its insane how efficient the unit is. Your comparison to storm or fungal is like comparing apples to orangutans. Compare it to the baneling, its closest similar unit in the game, and you will see that it makes them look awful.
The widow mine is going to probably end up like the void ray. It's going to be the ultimately low league noob crusher, and as a result it's going to get overnerfed.
07/10/2012 12:55 PMPosted by JVnein
Imagine how effective storm would be, if a storm cloud appeared over the area for 10 seconds before it went off, or how effective fungal would be if a pool of goo appeared under the units about to be fungaled.

If Storm and Fungal had a guaranteed kill of a unit they targetted, this might have a point.

Widow Mine deals a lot of damage, enough to pretty much kill or at the least severely wound whatever it's attached to, and is effectively unavoidable.
Are you sure? I'll ask you these two questions. Unless you can answer these with 100% confidence and give me a link to your source (make sure it is a realiable one), this thread is quite pointless.

1) Do Widow Mines do friendly splash damage?

2) Can multiple Widow Mines attach to a single unit?

no on both counts. you can watch in the tvz preview.

Compare it to the baneling, its closest similar unit in the game, and you will see that it makes them look awful.

not realy, banelings detonate on death and can hurt buildings (widow mines cannot, again watch the preview and see the creap tumors completly uneffected when the queen is killed). Also with the 10 second time its fairly simple to remove them from the heard.
What this means is banelings have a little less risk, at least once you have a decent count (widow mines have close to twice the health and a 5 range instant "leap", so a small count of widow mines will be more effective than a small count of banes) so you can reach the targets alive.
Widow mines do 6 to 10 times as much damage and effect air, but its easier to mitigate the splash.
esentialy because a dead widow mine is just dead, wereas a dead baneling will explode, its much easier to use banes offensively, also busting buildings. widow mines are more powerful defensively by a large margine, but a very risky to use offensively.
The only closest thing to a Widow Mine is the Spider Mine with an added twist.
widow mines are going to be nerfed. I can almost guarantee it. They are simply going to be too cost effective.
07/10/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Mostharmless
widow mines are going to be nerfed. I can almost guarantee it. They are simply going to be too cost effective.
You forgot that it is also a Terran unit so they are defiantly going to nerf it.
they designed the widow mine, at the last mlg build anyways, so that basically no pro player would ever get hit by it. The bigger thing the widow mine does is the TREMENDOUS amount of damage it does tot he unit it attaches to (which currently 1 shots a swarm host). banelings are good, but they dont one shot tanks. they dont 1 shot marines.
Widow Mines will be like Roaches that can attack air against Protoss.
I recently played the beta in a TvTvT FFA and widow mines seem rather stupid because they stalemate the game to a ridiculous degree. everyone is so scared of the little bastards that we have perfect wall offs and amazing detection and just mass siege tanks
09/01/2012 04:11 PMPosted by MrBuckets
I recently played the beta in a TvTvT FFA and widow mines seem rather stupid because they stalemate the game to a ridiculous degree. everyone is so scared of the little bastards that we have perfect wall offs and amazing detection and just mass siege tanks

Why not just scan and use marauders. Marauders have 6 range, widow mines have 5, banshees also 6. Mater of fact SCV's marines reapers and hellions are the only things terran has who do not outrange the mine. And technicly if you are cleaver you can make the hellion outrange it, though honestly more effort than its worth.

Edit: also from watching the PvT preview, you can see that the AOE on the widow mine is HUGE, but it "only" dealt 50 damage to the splash targets regardless of range.
Also, immortals can basically ignore widows, at least in the HotS custom, their hardened shield triggers, and they don't take full damage. Meaning you can basically just use an immo to clear a whole mine field.
uhh... so more speculation on something few have gotten to use.

Seeker missile of terran is slightly useful, and much like the widow mine coming out.

1. you see it so you have to micro units away from it or away from the unit that is going to die.

Widow mine gives vision were it is at, it does damage to units around it when it explodes. IT will damage the unit and there is nothing you can do about it. Widow mine is like an uber baneling that fires by itself and can jump due to it affects air as well.

To me it seems like detection became more important against a Terran, even if they are not using banshees or nukes. Also Micro of units is more important now due will have to move units away from the doomed unit.
Think a bit, two fungals or two storms won't kill a tempest. It one hit kills. it is stupid