1. whole army
2. tanks or ghosts
3. all air (medi's,vikings, whatever)
4. CC, OC and PF's
5. Rax
6. Factory
7. Starport
8. SCV's building supply depots
9. misc. ( upgrades, ravens, ghosts that are nuking, drops)

The problem is i think i need another control group for all my bio. Because when I try to stutter step, my medivacs are worthless. I would prefer to keep my rax, fact, starport on seperate control groups.

So what control groups should I use?
What control groups do you use?
` Medivacs/Scout/Drops
1 Bio
2 Vikings
3 Ghosts
4 Command Centers
5 Production
6 Upgrades
7/8 Drops/other stuff

I wouldn't put your Medivacs on the same hotkey as your Vikings.

I also made a thread last night about Medivacs and kiting. The most efficient way to heal is to have Medivacs on a separate hotkey from your bio and constantly give them "Follow" orders. Obviously this is going to require more APM than just putting them on the same hotkey as your bio. The benefit is that while you kite, units will be healed. But Medivacs will also be caught out of position a lot more.

I think (at least vs Protoss and Terran) it might be best to put the Medivacs on the same hotkey as your bio to ensure that they're roughly always on top of/behind your bio and they can't easily get picked off.

Do whatever feels comfortable. I would recommend putting all production on one hotkey just to try it if you haven't already. I thought I would hate it, but it made my macro 10x easier.

I see a ton of Korean players use ` or 1 for their CCs and 2 or 3 for Barracks, but I've also seen them do 4 CC and 3 or 5 for production, some put it all on one key, others don't. Just do what works for you.

I would remap 0 to ` though.
Use whatever is comfortable for you

1 cc
2 prod
3,4,5 army

apparently the above is not normal, but it works for me. Use whatever works for you
Whatever you choose it will be harder when compared to toss or Zerg which generally only need one hot key for units and 1 hotkey for production. I specifically use 1, 2, and 3 for units, 4 for CC and 5, 6 and 7 for production; however, using 5 for production and using tab to alternate between production facilities works too. I just dislike doing it this way, mainly because of rally points; furthermore, different stokes for different folks.
I am not a terran player but, I think the following applies to all races: DO NOT USE ALL NUMBERS FOR CONTROL GROUPS!

I have been using 1-0 forever. But, recently I had the chance to watch some pro's play, and I noticed that (in general) their keyboard hand always stayed on the LEFT side of the keyboard. So, in trying to imitate their Mechanics, I limited my control groups to 1-6:

1 - Main Army
2 - Early Scout -> Air Units
3 - Casters
4 - Nexus/Command Cntr./Hive
5 - All Production Buildings (tab through to choose)
6 - All Research Buildings (tab through to choose)

*for Zerg, 5 can be assigned to Queens since the production buildings are the same as "4"

The result was, for me, that my APM more than doubled. I think it is the fact that I simply do not have to manage 4 less control groups. Also, I made a couple more changes...

Made a video based on this! check it out if you want to: http://youtu.be/E2KCm8PSN30
I don't think and control group keys really matter that much i think it is more important to have a good overall set up like changing unit producing hot keys and building hotkeys so you are able to build rax and depots ect fast. And having better micro hotkeys like stim and EMP in good positions so your hands don't need to move all over they keyboard.
07/26/2012 07:17 PMPosted by MetalGear
I don't think and control group keys really matter that much i think it is more important to have a good overall set up like changing unit producing hot keys and building hotkeys so you are able to build rax and depots ect fast. And having better micro hotkeys like stim and EMP in good positions so your hands don't need to move all over they keyboard.

I absolutely agree, hand positioning is SOOOO important. May seem like a small thing, but not having to reach all over your keyboard speeds up your play a lot. So, change your Hotkey setup to GRID, and keep your control groups limited to 1-6. Your hand can stay in one place!
It doesn't really matter just make sure now when you're building your foundations for control groups that you include 3 buttons for army. Boy do i regret not including that once i started playing.
Move the 0 key to the ~ spot and you get another ez to push hotkey
You can also use F2 F3 F4 in addition to ~.
F1 is already used for your gatherer :)
I always have CC on 1 which is different from a lot of players I've noticed as they usually put them on 4. The reason I put it on 1 is cause scanning is easier, pressing '1' then 'c' is more natural for me than '4' and 'c', this way I can get scans up asap in emergency situations lol.

Also I found that having dedicated keys that are used for specific units is vital to micro better as you burn that mechanic into your fingers, this way you never have to think '!@#$ which group are my ghost in?' It's just an instinctive reaction.

My setup, which I'm always trying to make more effective, but this is what I use for now.

1. CC
2. Tanks (early scout)
3. Army
4. Vikings (or special units)
5. Rax
6. Fact
7. Port
W. Research buildings
Q. Ghosts
Q, ` for Drops
1 for Main army
2 for Ghosts
3 for Vikings
4 for CC
5 for Barracks
6 for Factories
7 for Starports
1. Main army or early game hellions
2. Vikings or tanks or early game banshees or drops
3. Ghosts or ravens
4. Rax + Fax + Ports
5. CCs + Ebays + Armories <-- I strongly recommend combining these. You will remember your upgrades if you see them every time you build an SCV.
6. Nothing

F1. Main CC
F2. Natural CC
F3. Third CC
F4. Main Ramp
F5. Natural Ramp
I think at times during this game you can over hotkey yourself. Keep it simple and effective. Jumping the wrong hotkey in an engagement can be awful.

my hotkeys are in weird positions but I keep my control groups simple.

1. All production, use tab to cycle
2. caster units ghosts / tanks
3. offensive air, vikings and the like
4. CC's
5. Whole ground army + medi's
6. harassment units, drops helions etc