MASSIVE fps drop and lag since Arcade patch.

Bug Report
Post Limit:
09/02/2012 10:50 AMPosted by akanna
It seems mostly limited to custom and arcade games, the normal games generally are lag free.

Im a campaign player mostly and it does lag the campaign. Not as bad a multiplayer probably because the "opponents" are you local harddrive and RAM.

If I use my pre-1.5 settings in the campaign, the big skimishes drop to 1-7 FPS.
this is lame..... they still haven't fixed this problem yet and this has been a few weeks....... i am pissed
I had the same problem but I am running a 64bit system. To fix it I adjusted my graphics settings first... duh most people realized they got lost during update but then THIS is what fixed my problem:

(Works if you have 64bit system)
Under the file structure(windows 7)
C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\.agent.db
I opened the .agent.db file and changed a line inside there
from
"run64bit" : False
To
"run64bit" : true
^^^^^^^^^^^ That change made the game stop lagging especially while playing the map Cruiser Command where the lag was the WORST.

Hope it helps some of you at least.

I tried this on windows 7 x64 and it literally increased my fps by 5x. I'm not saying it will work on everyone, but it made a large differenct on my system.

Went from: Low Settings @ 25 fps -----> Low @ 140 fps. And to High Settings @ 75 fps after making the change suggested above. Thanks a ton OmegaRed!
I had the same problem but I am running a 64bit system. To fix it I adjusted my graphics settings first... duh most people realized they got lost during update but then THIS is what fixed my problem:

from
To
^^^^^^^^^^^ That change made the game stop lagging especially while playing the map Cruiser Command where the lag was the WORST.

Hope it helps some of you at least.

Didnt help on my side.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz 48 °C
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (7-7-7-16)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD P45-C51 (MS-7519) (CPU1) 36 °C
Graphics
PX2710MW (1920x1080@60Hz)
FHX2300 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (ZOTAC International) 46 °C
Hard Drives
699GB Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (SATA) 40 °C
112GB OCZ OCZ-VERTEX3 ATA Device (SSD) 30 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Open your task manager and click view. Then choose CPU History, and select One Graph Per CPU. If all of your graphs have a CPU activity spike while running SC2, then you're probably using more than one core. SC2 is based on 2 core processors. They don't support multithreading for quad or hex cores, "yet." (That's Starcasm not sarcasm). In other words, if your computer is running 2 cores when running SC2, then it's not your computer. It has something to do with the multithreading being sent by their Battle.net servers. It is a Server based problem, not a client based problem.

Battle.net needs to get with the program and offer multithreading for quad cores and up, but that might not necessarily fix the current problems. This is more of a futuristic prespective that they should establish.

Currently they are not sending us enough threads while in game. Maybe they are waiting for us to send them our threads from our computers; therefore, I am sending this one thread in exchange for a patch or a promise from blizzard to increase the amount of threads they send me while in game (more Starcasm).

If they don't fix this then I'll just go into the SC2 Editor which is not supported by Blizzard even though they just updated it (Blizzard's Starcasm). Then, I'll create a trigger that goes like this:

Events - Increase multithreads sent to clients
Conditions - If multithreads are increased do Action 1 otherwise do Action 2
Actions -
Action 1 - Clients play more games and enjoy Starcraft
Action 2 - Clients stop playing Starcraft and Blizzard loses shareholder value
Use the Unit Preloader. It is a custom map which plays all unit animations and casts every spell in order to cache effect assets. Once all done, you should experience no lag. If that dosn't help, then it is a network connectivity problem, and that is beyond me.
Thats true. SC2 consumes my entire CPU while playing and i cant switch to another program or else ill get 10+sec lag, though this is a recent problem :\

from
To

OmegaRed, you are a brilliant man! I was having the same issues described and after tweaking everything from the graphics settings to power states, this is what ultimately solved the problem. Prior to patch 1.5 I didn't have any issues with FPS drops unless it was on a select few custom maps (Special Forces Elite, mass unit spawns). However after upgrading to 1.5, I would drop to 1 fps during 4v4 matches in which there were a lot of units on the field. I just finished a 3v3 with units everywhere and didn't get even one slowdown, so I believe this has solved it. And I can go back to medium gfx settings again!

Someone give this guy a beta key already!!
Im not the type of person to say this but...

Blizzard, fix your game! Ugh. its the only thing to play before borderlands 2 and i cant play it because i lag too much :(

(too poor to buy GW2)
Bliz said my DXdiag and MSInfo is fine, my trace route is fine. Bliz said try disabling all startup apps and disabling all non-microsoft services at boot time (I did them all at once), didn't help one bit. Unit preloader doesn't help. Yadda yadda yadda....

IT'S IN THIER CODE. Don't let them tell you anything different.

Proof? 1) It wasn't like this for us all before 1.5, but it is like this for us all after 1.5. 2) Many people with ridiculuos high-end comps are also experiencing issues like these after 1.5.
Same issue here. Was running on ultra with no lag even in 4v4 games. Now its very stuttery even after turning the settings to medium.
Since patch 1.5 I get in the 5-10FPS range, and the entire time the game is lagging out and crashing. I usually average above 300FPS (don't ask i'm just obsessed with my computer being the best) running at 2560x1440 resolution with settings on Extreme. I'm really surprised that this patch got released with such a huge bug lingering. I know it's in their code, this is obvious. If the game run's fine then suddenly after a patch it takes a 300% performance hit then they have some bad code that needs to get fixed.
09/07/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Aleil
I usually average above 300FPS (don't ask i'm just obsessed with my computer being the best) running at 2560x1440 resolution with settings on Extreme. I

Your gonna **!@ your computer at that rate unless your computer is like aquatic or something :O
I am water-cooling my CPU so technically it is aquatic. I get high FPS because I have multiple high end Graphics cards running in SLI and yet the lag/stutter/performance hit is horrible.
Before the patch, I could maintain a solid 60 FPS (w/ vsync on) with the highest settings @1920x1080 regardless of which part of the game I was in (Hyperion, game maps, loading screens, etc), and now that the patch is put in, I can only get 40 FPS with lag spikes that bring me down to 24 FPS during gameplay to as low as 7 FPS during the loading screens. I seriously wish Blizzard would fix this soon.
Processor: Intel Core-i7 2600
Graphics card: Radeon HD 6870
RAM: 12GB 1333MHz
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T Black Edition Processor (using 1 out of 6 uints...WTF) water cooled
8 Gigs of Corsair Dominator GT RAM at 1333 (which is the lowest cache possible)
2 Radeon HD 5770s in CFM (both on 16X PCI-E slots) 1920x1080 HDMI Cable and all.

If I can't run this game on Low let alone Extreme with the system I have, then it is on Blizzards end. Pre 1.5= 60 FPS steady. Post 1.5= 1 FPS......seriously?? Someone needs to fire their programers. My machine runs EVERY other game I own including Crysis 2 at 100% maximum graphics settings between 60-300 FPS. So they screwed their game up OVER NIGHT!!!!

I tried OmegaRed's suggestion and it worked on my x64 system but still can't figure out a fix for my x86 system which has the same specs. (GFs computer) If anyone can come across a fix for an x86 OS, PLEASE let me know.
I was getting 90fps before the latest patch. It dropped to 30fps with this patch. I changed some variables in variables.txt to increase it to 60-70fps but wow thats a big performance decrease.
Could you tell us what variables you changed to fix this spike. I get 60 fps but keep getting network spikes/min=2-4 and it really lags at those times. I cant tell you the times i have lost entire set of units because of this stupid spike.
I wonder when Blizzard is going to fess up to this and fix the problem, as it lies on their end.

I play way more CPU intensive games than SC2 with no issues, on max settings.

SC2 used to run on the highest settings with no FPS issues, until this patch.

This has been going on for months.