How to play offline.

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
maddox,

Can you post your system specs? This will help out in looking at this issue.

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
Hi Machkhan, just stumbled across this thread while having the same problem. Was wondering if you could help me out. This has been a giant pain for days now. These are my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
Hardware UUID: 42960637-4E32-57C5-B8B0-081AA4E65DB9
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3533
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 1 day17:12

I first was unable to play the campaign offline after reloading a saved game from about a year ago. It would load up to being on Hyperion but wouldn't load the next mission telling me I had the wrong version of SC which is incorrect as I have the full game and CD and have played many times. I tried doing what you said about removing battle.net and the other file, but after this, it hasn't even allowed me to go in as a guest anymore. Completely blanked out which was not the case yesterday before I tried this method. The worst part is that it says I need the full game downloaded, but I have already done this and the game offers no solutions to the problem. Thanks, and hope to hear soon.
This is actually a bug for 1.5.3. No ETA for a fix yet, but when we hear more, we'll post the additional info.
Thank you for the info. However, I have to provide some feedback regarding Blizzards practices. It's frustrating to have to keep dealing with issues of not being able to play offline (it's happened many times). Im not sure if you're at all the correct person to tell this to, but I paid decent money for the game and have had to deal with unnecessary issues that could simply be solved by allowing players to avoid having to use the Internet to play this game. 99.99% of all other games do not have this issue. Not everyone who buys Blizzards products has personal access to the Internet or even want to play online at all. I realize online play is where the money's at, but no group of paying customers needs should be ignored, strongly considering it's campaign and offline play are part of the marketing. I do hope this gets fixed soon. This is just meant as slightly irritated constructive feedback. Blizzard should be aware of their shortcomings to customers if they care about them, and I've seen people complain about this and a lot more complain about similar quality control/thoughtfulness issues. And this is not directed at you personally, as you seem to be very thoughtful in this thread. As I said, I'm simply frustrated at paying $50.00 to deal with these issues over and over with such a great game, and I am compelled to offer feedback.
ok lets see. my prob is every time i try opening it wont even START . the thing says it cnt download cause of no networking and i cnt get into the game to hit the play as guest button. though it is grayed out aswell in game
This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future update.
This is how I got to get my game to work offline. Deleting the folders and files made no difference for me.

1. Go to your My Documents/Starcraft II folder.
2. Open the Variables.txt file.
3. Change "localeidassets=enGB" into "localeidassets=enUS"
Also change "localeiddata=enGB" into "localeiddata=enUS"
4. Save and close. Right click Variables.txt and go to properties. Check the box marked Read Only and then Apply.
(I also changed lowqualitymovies from 1 to 0. But I don't think that matters for this.)
5. Now go to My Documents/Starcraft II/Accounts/random acc numbers here/ and open Variables.txt
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.