HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 34 Next
Since the Widow Mine is no longer a 'mine', will there be a name change to this unit? I think the idea of hitting cloaked units is great (helps defend against pesky Dark Templars and Banshees), but I think the 'Mine' should only be allowed to burrow when positioning itself, and has to come back up if it wants to attack; force Terran to micro a bit to make it less OP.

The mine change has gotten me thinking lately, there was a period of time during the alpha where terran didn't have the widow mine, but instead had a missile launcher that was intended to be an anti-air replacement to the thor (with the warhound replacing it as an anti-ground unit). I wonder if they have gone so far in re-tooling the widow mine that they have almost re-made that launcher in it.
Yay, sticky =]

10/10/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Snow
The mine change has gotten me thinking lately, there was a period of time during the alpha where terran didn't have the widow mine, but instead had a missile launcher that was intended to be an anti-air replacement to the thor (with the warhound replacing it as an anti-ground unit). I wonder if they have gone so far in re-tooling the widow mine that they have almost re-made that launcher in it.

Not sure what unit you're talking about? They talked about adding a missile launcher once, but it was for "breaking siege lines" not for anti-air.

10/10/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Aftermath
How are carriers in HoTS? I know that they know longer have to interceptors when switching targets and can attack while moving when the interceptors are out, but in game, how are they? Are they any more useful in HoTS than in WoL?

Still not that good, but they see some use due to meta-game changes. They've not been changed since WoL.
Question 1: Can you abduct burrowed units? Mobile burrowed units (roaches, infestors)? Units currently affected by graviton beam? Morphing air units (Broodlord, overseer cocoons)? Uprooted spore/spine crawlers?

Question 2a: Can you save units from a Yamato Cannon using Abduct? How about 250mm Strike Cannon?

Question 2b: Can you stop the channeling of Yamato Cannons or 250 Strike Cannons using Abduct?

Question 2c: Can you abduct units currently immobile because of Fungal Growth?

Question 3a: Will a worker currently gathering minerals continue to gather after being abducted?

Question 3b: Does abduct trigger the "Our units are being attacked" message?
Can you abduct a burrowed mine?
Does reaper high ground vision work from inside a bunker???
Question 1: Can you abduct burrowed units? Mobile burrowed units (roaches, infestors)?

Yes. They unborrow automatically and reburrow after landing.

Units currently affected by graviton beam?

Yes, it cancels graviton beam though.

Morphing air units (Broodlord, overseer cocoons)?

Nope. ("Can't target eggs" it tells you)

Uprooted spore/spine crawlers?

No.

Question 2a: Can you save units from a Yamato Cannon using Abduct? How about 250mm Strike Cannon?

No to Yamto, Yes to strike cannon. o.0

Question 2b: Can you stop the channeling of Yamato Cannons or 250 Strike Cannons using Abduct?

Temporarily pauses Yamato, cancels Strike Cannons

Question 2c: Can you abduct units currently immobile because of Fungal Growth?

Yes.

Question 3a: Will a worker currently gathering minerals continue to gather after being abducted?

Yep.

Question 3b: Does abduct trigger the "Our units are being attacked" message?

Nope.

10/10/2012 11:13 PMPosted by AntareSpicA
Can you abduct a burrowed mine?

Yes. Gotta be careful, they shoot you after they land :P

10/11/2012 05:34 AMPosted by Tuna
Does reaper high ground vision work from inside a bunker???

No, it doesn't.
I use a Mac and I downloaded the SC2 HOTS beta launcher, but for some reason it downloaded the WoL version (I think). Do i need to uninstall the WoL beta launcher first before downloading the HOTS version? Or does both betas use the same launcher? I had to leave for work this morning when it was installing the game. I fear that it's installing WoL beta instead of HOTS. Can someone confirm if I'm doing the right thing? Thanks.
10/11/2012 08:05 AMPosted by phlipzter
I use a Mac and I downloaded the SC2 HOTS beta launcher, but for some reason it downloaded the WoL version (I think). Do i need to uninstall the WoL beta launcher first before downloading the HOTS version? Or does both betas use the same launcher? I had to leave for work this morning when it was installing the game. I fear that it's installing WoL beta instead of HOTS. Can someone confirm if I'm doing the right thing? Thanks.

What makes you think it downloaded the WoL version? As long as you downloaded the mac version from https://us.battle.net/account/management/sc2/dashboard-hots-beta.html you should have the right thing.

It is recommended that you uninstall previous SC2 beta test clients before installing it, though. It can cause issues.
why am i the only person without a beta key? I did everything they say to do before they said to do it. :,,,,(
10/11/2012 10:29 AMPosted by BeagIBAGI
why am i the only person without a beta key? I did everything they say to do before they said to do it. :,,,,(

You aren't -- there are thousands of people without beta keys. Its just random luck; they keep sending out waves weekly so you still have chances to get in.

Be sure to regularly check the beta key giveaway thread! http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6712881870

What makes you think it downloaded the WoL version? As long as you downloaded the mac version from https://us.battle.net/account/management/sc2/dashboard-hots-beta.html you should have the right thing.

It is recommended that you uninstall previous SC2 beta test clients before installing it, though. It can cause issues.

Thanks! CRAP! I don't think I uninstall the previous beta. What issues will arise from this? The instructions didn't say to uninstall the previous beta.
As far as I know, the Arcade Beta is the one known to cause issues with it.

Usually it has trouble installing, so if you made it past that point you should be OK; but occasionally it causes log-in problems as well.

I have it on a computer that used to have the Arcade beta. I tried uninstalling it, but evidently I missed something as I can only run the beta through SC2Switcher.exe and cannot install patches.
Thank you. I will try it when I get home tonight and I will post something here whether if it works or not.
Another sticky, TheSkunk. Winning!
10/11/2012 11:40 AMPosted by TheSkunk
As far as I know, the Arcade Beta is the one known to cause issues with it.
I'll confirm that :)

Uninstalling the Arcade Beta and reinstalling the HOTS client will 99% guaranteed fix the issue.
Does the widow mine's special attack automatically target cloaked or burrowed units when detected and undetected? Specifically, observers?

I read on teamliquid that it does, but I'm unaware if this is true. If so, terran just needs 1-2 widow mines which automatically kill the observers, and then they just cloak their ghosts and win.
Does the widow mine's special attack automatically target cloaked or burrowed units when detected and undetected? Specifically, observers?

I read on teamliquid that it does, but I'm unaware if this is true. If so, terran just needs 1-2 widow mines which automatically kill the observers, and then they just cloak their ghosts and win.

Its absolutely true. Widow Mines can kill your observer with no Terran detection.

It has such sort range that a reasonably skilled opponent can keep their observer from being killed, but it is definitely a scary strategy you have to watch out for.
10/11/2012 04:46 PMPosted by TheSkunk
It has such sort range that a reasonably skilled opponent can keep their observer from being killed, but it is definitely a scary strategy you have to watch out for.
Yes, I have found that correlating the flyer-helper indicator for the observer's position can still place the observer at risk against a mine if there is a 1 range differential. Noticed the same thing with Stalkers firing at mines from 6 range. They sometimes get blown to bits for no apparent reason even when the stalker next to it never triggered the mine at the exact same range...
10/11/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Zamara
Yes, I have found that correlating the flyer-helper indicator for the observer's position can still place the observer at risk against a mine if there is a 1 range differential. Noticed the same thing with Stalkers firing at mines from 6 range. They sometimes get blown to bits for no apparent reason even when the stalker next to it never triggered the mine at the exact same range...

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but the mine has some delay -- if you move a unit within range and then back out of range, it may *decide* to fire, but not actually do it until you are back out of range.

Again, this might not be what you are talking about, but it can do some funny things.