"Failed to read a required file."

Technical Support
After trying to update to 1.5.3, my update hung at 94%. I decided to close the downloader and restart it, to see if that would fix the issue. However on opening the downloader again, I get an error popping up that says

"Failed to read a required file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again"

The only programs I have open are SC2 and Chrome, and I closed my anti-virus (Microsoft Security Essentials) but still get the same error.

I'm an administrator on this account and have full read/write access to everything

When I right-click on Starcraft 2 and select "Run as Administrator", it still gives me the same problem.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 SP1

EDIT: After googling this problem I came across a solution for it, deleting the cache. After deleting the folder, I'm still having the same exact problem.

EDIT2: After checking google further I saw a post in the WoW:MoP forums about agent.exe (the updater process) hanging - I had noticed fishy things going on with my agent.exe the day before yesterday where it was taking over 2mb/s of my bandwidth despite there being no downloading, and SC2 wouldn't get past the launcher. Anyways, I shutdown the agent.exe and still am having the same issue.

EDIT3: After deleting the cache, and restarting, still nothing.
Good news! I was able to get the launcher to stop erroring out by deleting all but the "Liberty.SC2Mod" folder located at Starcraft II\Mods. I had about 150 MB left to download and it took about 30 seconds to start downloading again, but now I'm good to go :)

Yours may require you to delete everything in the Mods folder, however I would first try and delete everything but Liberty.SC2Mod as that's a ~2.6GB folder.
Well! After doing that I am now getting an error that pops up and says "Files are missing from your StarCraft II Installation" and am given the option to Reopen, or Close. Reopen simply re-launches SC2 which loops me back into the same 'ol error.

I've decided to delete the entire Mod folder to see if that'll "restart" the entire process.
I'm getting your same error message "Failed to read a required file. etc. etc. " Seems odd to me that I should need to shut off anti-virus protections and everything was working just fine yesterday (pre patch).

I'm running an iMac btw, though if your PC is still having the issues, I want to appeal to the lowest common denominator.....blizzard's patch.
Yea they're trying to troubleshoot with steps that mean it's the user's fault. Obviously, since so many people are having this problem on different OS' and computers, yet the common denominator is it's happening after this patch.... This is their problem, not the end-user. Hopefully we get a solution soon!
"Files are missing from your StarCraft II Installation":

Well! After doing that I am now getting an error that pops up and says "Files are missing from your StarCraft II Installation" and am given the option to Reopen, or Close. Reopen simply re-launches SC2 which loops me back into the same 'ol error.

I've decided to delete the entire Mod folder to see if that'll "restart" the entire process.

You're probably missing the Product.SC2Archive and Index.SC2Locale files. These files are created when you install the game and are one of the few files the launcher won't re-download when deleted.

You can download these two files
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6759186303#3

Or, you can repair your StarCraft II using this method instead of the Repair tool:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6935295107#3

(Downloading these files will not fix "Failed to read a required file.")
This is not just a Starcraft issue....there's a nearly identical thread in the Diablo 3 forums that's about four pages of user complaints. Blizzard has been totally ignoring it since about page 2, and those posts were the useless ones that are blaming antivirus.

They don't have a clue and are ignoring this issue hoping that someone more clever than them finds a solution.

Blizzard...please fix this issue and tell us how to get it working again. If you don't know, at least admit it. To ignore it makes it look like you simply don't care that your paying customers can't play your games.
Hey I'm having the same problem and I re-installed the Index.SC2Locale and Product.SC2Archive files and nothing.
09/18/2012 05:21 PMPosted by MercuryAAA
Hey I'm having the same problem and I re-installed the Index.SC2Locale and Product.SC2Archive files and nothing.
Those files wont fix the 'failed to read' error.

For the failed to read error, first reboot your computer and if you get the same error, you need to check a log file to find out which file is causing this.

So, assuming rebooting didn't help:

1. Go to:
C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.xxxx\Logsxxxx = Highest number. (probably 1267)

2. Open the most recent AgentErrors log and, in it, you should find the error and the file that's causing the error.
3. Now delete the file shown in the log and try again.
I found a solution that worked for me. See details here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6607191971?page=1#12
This was by far the easiest fix to the problem. Other suggestions out there may work, but this took less than one minute to do. Thanks a ton to eld!

1. Go to:
C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.xxxx\Logsxxxx = Highest number. (probably 1267)

2. Open the most recent AgentErrors log and, in it, you should find the error and the file that's causing the error.
I've seen a few posts now that seem to point to the mods folder. I deleted most of the files in that folder as part of my fix, but I've seen folks reference the file "Challenges.SC2.Mod" as the only one they needed to delete (in addition to the battle.net cache folder).

My solution is the other thread worked for me, but it's probable that you don't need to delete nearly as many files as I did.

Cheers, Eld and kcheu.
does anyone have the battle.net folder that they could upload? i deleted mine and for some reason it didn't seem to help the problem or come back after trying to launch the game
09/18/2012 07:23 PMPosted by ienjoyhead
does anyone have the battle.net folder that they could upload? i deleted mine and for some reason it didn't seem to help the problem or come back after trying to launch the game

http://patchup.info/Blizz/tools/Win/
1. Go to:

The most recent AgentErrors log shows that "Failed to open archive 'C:/StarCraft II/Updates/s2-0-23260-Win-final.MPQ".
After I deleted the MPQ file the launcher still have the same problem, and when I check back the MPQ file just reappeared. This is truly frustrating.
I'm having this problem but it says failed to write to the required file. I don't know what to do and I want to play SC2.
09/22/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Vezon
I'm having this problem but it says failed to write to the required file. I don't know what to do and I want to play SC2.

Right click your StarCraft II folder, click on the Read-only box until it's unchecked and apply. Then go in the SC2 folder and delete both, StarCraft II.tfil and StarCraft II.mfil files.
Thanks but after I search StarCraft II and I right click the folder I don't get the Read-only option. I'm a PC noob so this is all new to me.
09/23/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Vezon
Thanks but after I search StarCraft II and I right click the folder I don't get the Read-only option. I'm a PC noob so this is all new to me.

Oh, sorry. You have to click on Properties first.
Thanks man I'll have to try this later.