APM why so high?

Terran Discussion
Hey guys,

I'm a bronze player and I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but why is the APM of Platinum and higher players insanely high? I love to watch Day9, but I my eyes start to burn every time I hear his keyboard click constantly and the screen shift like every nanosecond. It's a a bit annoying. For me, Hot-keying my command centers to 1, my barracks to 4, my factories to 5, and starports to 6 seems to do the job. I just toggle between them to make sure I'm constantly producing workers, units, etc. So why do the really good players of Starcraft 2 constantly go nuts with their keyboard and mouse?
Day9 Is a grandmaster, A lot of the actions from his APM come from tiny little details that we in Bronze don't have to fiddle with. To a Grandmaster those little things can mean the game, at least I think. I only have like 40 APM on average, I think it's something you pick up as you advance to higher leagues.
I'm almost in plat. Around high gold and I now manage around 100-110 APM per game. Honestly, it's just something that goes up as you get better at the game. That's really how I can put it. There's no way to get it higher other then just improvement. You can try spamming at the start of a game, but it won't last for long if that's not how fast you really play.
It's more about just how your multi-tasking improves over a period of time because you know what to do and can start focusing on more things like micro because your macro becomes automatic!
Once you know what to do and have practiced it mechanically so you can execute the same thing in shorter amounts of time, your apm will naturally increase. If you have the apm, there is always something that you can do with it that will help your game. You will never be in a situation where you will wish you had less apm.

With that being said, there are people with 60 apm in masters and people with 200 apm in plat. Apm doesn't directly correlate to skill or mechanics but you will find in general better players have higher apms because it allows them to do more of the stuff they want to do.

If you want to improve apm, just spam alot to get used to moving your fingers fast and whatnot. You will eventually be able to translate those random keypresses to a meaningful action once you have the physical capacity to produce a certain level of apm.
Yeah to give you an example, in TvP I do stutter stup like crazy with stim, and splits(to dodge storms) and at the same time I basically am instantly making units and scv's at the exact same time. So your apm just kinda starts to raise when you get better lol.
That being posted, Some builds require more apm than others. Or a simple way to put it (control) as more factors come into it than just apm. You also have to be thinking faster too. Like Drop play as Terran or, Infestor baneling ling roach as zerg lol. Or High templar sentry mothership..
To be honest I've played all of the races at mid-high diamond level and the race that requires the most apm is Terran, and the least is Protoss, unless your doing some funky stuff.
well how i see APM is this

1) am i building SCV's?
If im not then i make 1 at each command center

2) am i making marines or marauders?
If no then i make 2 more at each rax ( if reactored )

3) am i close to supply blocked?
if you are make 2-3 more supply depots

4) after that either expand, tech or attack! and do this non stop :) you will then start to do better!!
A platinum player sounds like "click...........key press......................................click...." to me. Pretty much what I would sound like if I was trying to play while constantly tabbing out to play a flash game at the same time. I suppose this is what it sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRSE4Ccl_A&t=16m0s

Day9 on the other hand has more than 3X as much apm as your average plat player and to me and most everybody he does sound fast. This is mostly spamming.
APM doesn't always matter. Some of it can just be spamming where you're really doing nothing worthwhile. Day9 has a high APM, as he is grandmaster level and a former pro. You gain APM as you move up. Mine is only like 60 or so but obviously increase in battles and the like.
because Day9 was a broodwar pro, and to be good at BW you actually had to have like 300 APM. So, if you can mentally keep up with everything going on at 300 APM, then having a higher APM will help you do more with your time, and all these little things can add up to a noticeable improvement in your game.
Well i have seen tournament replays of thorzain cruising at 80 - 90 apm and he does well. Having said that he does have the ability to go a lot higher.
Assume the following:

- If you are using hotkeys to improve speed
- If you have at minimum 2 bases with the appropriate 5-8 production structures working fairly consistently
- If you have at least 2 upgrade buildings working
- If you are moving your army and building supply to maximize your chances of gaining advantage

You are doing at least:

- consistent tapping of selection hotkeys every second or two to monitor production of workers, units, and upgrades, etc.
- between 1-3 button presses every 17 seconds for workers
- between 1-16 button presses every 20-ish to 40-ish seconds for units, depending on production cycles
- constant mouse clicks to select units
- constant mouse clicks to move units
- constant mouse clicks to place new structures

That is already racking up to over an action every second. Now figure that you want to actually move out and do an attack. No matter what the stereotype, simply A-clicking on the map area won't do well. You need to monitor where your army is and adjust their path on the fly, plus continue to select all of your production and upgrade buildings.

Then on top of that, figure a big fight where you need to pull certain unit types back, advance others, activate multiple abilities/spells, and continue to press forward while target-firing critical units and structures. There's the secret to high APM (i.e. 300+); it's no secret except that in order to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of your forces, all those actions end up being necessary.
09/16/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Jameswm
Day9 Is a grandmaster

Day9 is not a grandmaster, and he never was.

He might have gotten GM in the beta, but there's platinum players that also go it.

Day9 is high masters at best.
Hey guys,

I'm a bronze player and I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but why is the APM of Platinum and higher players insanely high? I love to watch Day9, but I my eyes start to burn every time I hear his keyboard click constantly and the screen shift like every nanosecond. It's a a bit annoying. For me, Hot-keying my command centers to 1, my barracks to 4, my factories to 5, and starports to 6 seems to do the job. I just toggle between them to make sure I'm constantly producing workers, units, etc. So why do the really good players of Starcraft 2 constantly go nuts with their keyboard and mouse?

Many reasons why. Always checking your production groups ensures you will be constantly producing units than you would otherwise. You click the control group, you see units being made, you check another, then you go back and noticed the white dots just disappeared prompting you to make more.

Where as the less you click the less you are checking the buildings the more likely the building will stop producing and the longer it will be until you get it producing again.

Also allows you to check your production without looking at your base which can help prevent your units from getting trapped by force fields or run away from approaching banelings.
Ketroc and Hammer are each around 50 apm. Ketroc laddered up from scratch on the EU server in a few weeks with his blistering keyboard speed.
Comes down on what Style you play ore what you prefer more. I am High Master/Low Gm and play with a EAPM around 130 and a APM around 250-300 but it is easy enough to play with 150 APM i just prefer a higher Speed so i do not forgett about anything i need to do ore Micro ore Macro :)
09/16/2012 04:57 PMPosted by abhat
my eyes start to burn every time I hear
09/16/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Daegulma
Day9

Day[9].