Does equipment really affect SC2?

Off Topic Dicussion
I'm curious to know if upgrading my current PC will make the game run a lot better than it does now. I play on low settings at a low resolution. Basically I'd like to know if I were playing on ultra at 1920x1080 or above, would that gradually change the way the game is played? For example, I know on xbox, if you're using a 1920x1080 PC monitor and run a vga cable from your xbox, than it makes the game run top notch and you get to see a wider view point for first person shooters. Which gives you an advantage over someone who's playing at a 4:3 ratio with a dated tube TV since you can see them from around the corner slightly faster than they can view you. Also the response allows you to play the game at it's full potential. This statistic has become a standard for MLG and their tournaments for shooters so all the stations are equipped with monitors and VGA cables. Long story short, how important is a good PC setup for SC2? I'm not going to post my PC's specs because that is irrelevant, but I will say that it's about 5 years old. I'm currently saving my money and SC2 isn't the only game I play so I guess this question applies for other recent titles as well. Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
09/26/2012 07:28 PMPosted by PMB
I'm curious to know if upgrading my current PC will make the game run a lot better than it does now. I play on low settings at a low resolution.

It will make the game play better, but that won't necessarily mean you'll be at a competitive edge. Some pros prefer to play at low settings because they can see contrasting textures better. Your computer will be more efficient at playing the game though

Basically I'd like to know if I were playing on ultra at 1920x1080 or above, would that gradually change the way the game is played? For example, I know on xbox, if you're using a 1920x1080 PC monitor and run a vga cable from your xbox, than it makes the game run top notch and you get to see a wider view point for first person shooters. Which gives you an advantage over someone who's playing at a 4:3 ratio with a dated tube TV since you can see them from around the corner slightly faster than they can view you.

I think the bigger issue here would be the 4:3 ratio, and that issue doesn't exist in SC2 since you can specify which aspect ratio you're using. In otherwords, the issue from the older tv's is that they didn't support resolutions that the xbox games were made for.

Also the response allows you to play the game at it's full potential. This statistic has become a standard for MLG and their tournaments for shooters so all the stations are equipped with monitors and VGA cables. Long story short, how important is a good PC setup for SC2?

They use DVI or HDMI cables almost certainly. Digital video is strictly better than analog for almost every reason for the end user. Perhaps it uses slightly more power. That said, you're computer hardware show more of an impact than any cable would. Since the game is only ~two years old, it still requires a decent machine.

I'm not going to post my PC's specs because that is irrelevant, but I will say that it's about 5 years old. I'm currently saving my money and SC2 isn't the only game I play so I guess this question applies for other recent titles as well. Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Basically, you can get a really good computer to play SC2 good for ~$500-600. There's other people and more importantly other threads on the forum that can point out decent computer builds.
Cool, I appreciate your helpful input on this topic. I will continue gaming on my current setup, a new PC would be ideal, Idk where you came up with that number for a PC since I've already looked into some builds that add up to around $800 not including the OS or a monitor. Thanks for your response.
See this guide:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6293460070

CSmith isn't messing with you when he said a good SC2 PC can be built for $600 tops.
Eventually I'll save that link Hibachi ;)