1.5.3 patch framerate drop

Bug Report
10/07/2012 07:49 AMPosted by WightyCity
i am always at 58 fps when before the patch i was at 128 fps average. no other programs running

Same issue here.

Pre 1.5.3 I got up to 220 now I'm lucky to hit 130.
I have had this same issue since patch 1.5. I run the game on the lowest settings on windowed (fullscreen), and the game ran smoothly on low before patch 1.5.
Hey guys,

Magically when battle.net was down this morning, I went and played against the AI in offline mode. My FPS jumped to by more than 100 to 157 FPS (all on low settings).

Has anyone else tried unplugging their PC from the network and seeing if that helps? I wonder if there is something fishy in the SCII back-end or network code that is causing it to be so slow.
I didn't get any improvement when I disconnected.
I gave up already. Off to play xcom now.
Thanks to xcom, I've solved the framerate issue. The cpu is overheating and I am assuming somewhere something is throttling the cpu speed or just using less cpu to prevent over heating. My cpu heatsink is gunked up with dust and getting over 100 degrees C which is overheated way too high. Computer would shutdown during xcom for no apparent reason. Replaced power supply and still the same issue, found out cpu heatsink was gunked up with dust when replacing power supply. Checked the cpu temp and with nothing going on (in the bios) the temp was at 85 degrees C and not going down, so I cleaned up the dust and it went down. computer was no longer shutting down. Beat xcom and decided to try SC again and no more fps drop.
i dont have overheating problems.
blizzard is the problem.

we still have no answer.
i'm facing the same issue, any solutions for this?
Same problem here. Since 1.5.3 I'm having all kind of problems with this game. Texture corruption, crashes, low FPS. stuttering....

I'm sure blizzard cares they're just playing it cool. I can play cool too ya know and I'm not alone.
I too am having issues playing games, my fps starts out fine, then slowly drops to 0 fps within 15 minutes or so. I have no applications running and few processes in full screen mode. I haven't had an issue with this game before last patch. please fix this game there's nothing worse for a game company than ignoring a problem. I've seen many forum posts without any admin support. Why would I want to buy the expansion that is going to be coming out relatively soon if I haven't been able to play this game for weeks? Blizzard, Help us!
im having the same problems since patch 1.5.

some games i start with 130 fps, some others with 70 but in every game, at some point it always go to 0.

i cant play like this.
Same problem. I thought it was my GPU for a while and have been trying to fix it. But finally did a google search and realised heaps of people are experiencing the same problem.

Blizzard please fix this bug.

My system is 64bit if that matters. Anyone else on 64bit?

In another thread someone said it might be a server issue as he experienced different fps on EU and NA servers.
not computer inclined at all but if you guys are talking about being able to browse sc2's bnet just fine and use the chat services and all that but as soon as you get into any sort of game the loading screen takes forever [15 minutes most times] and when finally do i get into game it just lags and gets choppy to the point of not being able to play, its like this with 1v1 etc. etc. etc.

and yeah like spirit says the game will slow,speed up, freeze,go back to normal,speed up slow down etc. and this has been happening to me for the last three days.
Any update? SC still plays like garbage. Curious if HOTS will have the same issue.
11/19/2012 08:26 PMPosted by HoneyBadger
Any update? SC still plays like garbage. Curious if HOTS will have the same issue.

Confirmed.

HoTS Beta is doing the same thing. I can't figure it out either. Nothing is over-heating. In fact, my CPU temps stay below 40C which is more than safe. My GPU temps stay below 60C. I'm now cycling through different driver versions. This game use to run at 100+ FPS... Now, no matter what settings I get 25FPS, which soon drop to an unplayable ~15.

CatalystAI is disabled. There is nothing running in the background, (not that that should matter) GPU Activity goes from ~50% at the start of the game, down to 0% by ~8 minutes. My FPS drops with GPU activity respectively. It's like StarCraft decides it no longer need the GPU and relies soley in CPU.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
8GB RAM DDR3
Multiple hard drives, one used for pagefile while OS is on the other.
MSI Twin Frozr II HD6950 2GB
700W PSU

I have more than enough required to play this game. This is beyond frustrating.
Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but my fps actually went up after 1.5.3 went live. Intel GMA 4500HD (it's an integrated) Intel Pentium Core2 Duo @2.3GHz, 4GB RAM. 5400rpm 283GB HDD. Obviously plays on lowest settings, but fps is stable at 40 in most situations.
11/20/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Pokekid
Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but my fps actually went up after 1.5.3 went live. Intel GMA 4500HD (it's an integrated) Intel Pentium Core2 Duo @2.3GHz, 4GB RAM. 5400rpm 283GB HDD. Obviously plays on lowest settings, but fps is stable at 40 in most situations.

It appears the newer cards are the ones that took the performance hit. My HD4870 ran at full-throttle and out-performed my now HD6950 when playing StarCraft II.

I think there is some confusion between applications (games) and card manufacturers. They are BOTH trying to optimize gaming on two different levels. One is tweaking hardware / firmware. The other is trying tricks to optimize their code.

I'm pretty sure that if Blizzard would have left SCII alone, the newer cards would change performance states perfectly fine. Rather than get confused and up / down-clock randomly. The new cards detect what is being used (shaders / whatnot) and switches states automatically. That may not be it because my card still shows 0% GPU Activity after 8 minutes in a SCII game.

Of course, this is just me rambling. Who knows... maybe it's just all of us are doing something wrong. But all benchmarks say my card is fine. In fact, MSI Kombuster will run my card at 99%. StarCraft II won't...
I've restored my computer, reinstalled nothing but Starcraft 2, tried multiple different versions of my graphics driver, to no avail. Same issue as everyone else. I used to run the game on low settings with about 150 fps throughout an entire game. Now, every 30 seconds or so, the fps drops to 15-30, and as the game progresses, it literally becomes unplayable. Makes it near impossible to micro.

I've tried other games and they all still run perfectly. My GPU temperature fluctuates from 65-70 degrees Celsius, which is normal for my system. I know the problem is Starcraft 2 because other games run perfectly fine.

My system is a Lenovo Y570 laptop. Intel i7 2.8ghz processor. Nvidia GT 555m video card. 8 gb RAM. Solid state 180gb HDD. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

The responses we've been getting from Blizzard make me think they have no idea what's going on. They ask questions like "Are other programs running? Are you running in Full Screen or Windowed?" These questions imply that we are morons, which we definitely are not. No, Blizzard, no other programs are running. Yes I'm running in Full Screen, as I know Windowed mode affects the fps. Like I said, this is after a fresh restore with nothing but Starcraft 2 installed. The game used to run perfectly fine, nothing has changed but the game via patches. Please resolve this issue, I miss playing. =(
I've restored my computer, reinstalled nothing but Starcraft 2, tried multiple different versions of my graphics driver, to no avail. Same issue as everyone else. I used to run the game on low settings with about 150 fps throughout an entire game. Now, every 30 seconds or so, the fps drops to 15-30, and as the game progresses, it literally becomes unplayable. Makes it near impossible to micro.

I've tried other games and they all still run perfectly. My GPU temperature fluctuates from 65-70 degrees Celsius, which is normal for my system. I know the problem is Starcraft 2 because other games run perfectly fine.

My system is a Lenovo Y570 laptop. Intel i7 2.8ghz processor. Nvidia GT 555m video card. 8 gb RAM. Solid state 180gb HDD. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

The responses we've been getting from Blizzard make me think they have no idea what's going on. They ask questions like "Are other programs running? Are you running in Full Screen or Windowed?" These questions imply that we are morons, which we definitely are not. No, Blizzard, no other programs are running. Yes I'm running in Full Screen, as I know Windowed mode affects the fps. Like I said, this is after a fresh restore with nothing but Starcraft 2 installed. The game used to run perfectly fine, nothing has changed but the game via patches. Please resolve this issue, I miss playing. =(

The next question is "Does this happen in other games?" Nope. BF3 in 1080p on Ultra settings runs 60+ FPS. (Fullscreen - Windowed)

World in Conflict performs flawlessly. In fact, I can run StarCraft II and World in Conflict at the same time and SCII still only gets 20 to 30 FPS while World in Conflict is smooth as silk. SCII by itself, same poor performance.

This only started happening after 1.5.3. I paid $60 for WoL and then pre-ordered HoTS. As soon as I get my HoTS beta key, I update the game and get ready to play only to find out I can no longer run the game at a playable frame rate.

CPU Temps: Always below 40C
GPU Temps: Below 60C, highest I have ever seen is 64C (My GPU idles at 43C)

Using Kombuster to test stability and my card can run for 10 minutes with a max temp of 78C. That's 99% GPU usage for a solid 10 minutes.

Again, this is beyond frustrating. Blizzard already has my money. They could at least respond. Although, if you look at the Featured Sticky thread "Known Issues 1.5.3" which was updated about a week ago. You will see that "Stuttering and other performance issues with 1.5." is under the "Issues that should now be resolved:" section. Clearly, this is false.
I cancelled my pre-order of HOTS. It has already been confirmed that the problems exist in HOTS. No sense in throwing money away.