World's End II

Joeyray's Bar
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
"I noticed the statues but believed it would've been more likely due to the effects of time. But I shall edit in the notice of Seth."
Astrid read the note the raven had. It appeared the celestial was already terrorizing settlements outside the city walls and already, bodies were beginning to pile up. It was not a good sign. The families of the victims would be informed of their losses and grieve over what remained of their loved one's body.

He took off his glasses and massaged the brow of his eyes. This celestial was proving to be rather irksome, a mindless killing machine with no purpose. Hopefully, Agathe was enough to stop it. She was always resourceful.
====
L: "Soloman, I have been thinking of raising our banner once more to aid the war effort."

S: "The banner of our old regiment?"

L: "Yes."

S: "I see where you are coming from. This idea has a lot of merit. Then who do you have in mind?"

L: "Do you remember Cleo?"
10/09/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Zarkun
smylez, do I have your blessing for an The Invasion Redux?

You don't want another "smylez" to happen eh? Go for it.

@CR
Which is why I'm agreeing to let you do your thing.
=======================
So on the topic of maps, it's going to be pulled from Final Fantasy Tactics because I am original and lazy and it's much faster to find a map than draw the whole thing. However, this map meets all of my criterias in that it's a pan continent and the locations makes sense in my original posts. These "teleportations" are really skewing my ability to enact the Day/Night cycle. Unless you find a free map making program or find a really good continent map, this is what we are working with.

http://i.imgur.com/Ugbbm.jpg
How do I rewrite the locations there? Maybe redraw the lines to be finer? Just download the image and extract to MS paint?

HOW TO READ THIS UNTIL I FIX IT:
-Lesalia and Fovoham Dyllen (Human)
-Lionel is the Gyr'eah (Beastmen)
-Gallione is the Edelyn (Sylt'ar)
-Limberry and Zeltennia is Sallum (Krynar)
-The Royal City of Lesalia is J'are, the human capital.

Location is not completely set in stone yet. But this should give you guys a sense of scale.

Edit: When did I make that post above me?
smylez why u ignore me? :(
Yes you can use paint, however, if you download paint.NET, it's a lot more user friendly. And thanks :D
@Zanon
"You humor me. Although I would like to see what you are made of, I have much important things to do. Such as hunting a celestial. Whoops! You didn't hear that did you?"

@Owlfeathers
I'll do that now.

People, I will get to you. This is a lot of busy work. How often do you see me make story posts?
Sel also has a shotgun, by the way.
@smylez

Ohhhhh, a major city. It wasn't just a village. Okay.

10/09/2012 07:21 PMPosted by smylez

??? How can you not know?

10/09/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Owlfeathers

We have that technology? Well, figures, we have airships right? I wonder if I should have made those archers riflemen. Whatever...
@smylez

Ohhhhh, a major city. It wasn't just a village. Okay.

??? How can you not know?

We have that technology? Well, figures, we have airships right? I wonder if I should have made those archers riflemen. Whatever...
Evidently guns exist, but are fairly rare. My people just happen to focus a lot more on technology, aircraft, and magic than more conventional things. Partly due to the fact that without them having better equipment than everyone else, they would just get Zerg Rush swarmed.
HOW TO READ THIS UNTIL I FIX IT:
-Lesalia and Fovoham Dyllen (Human)
-Lionel is the Gyr'eah (Beastmen)
-Gallione is the Edelyn (Sylt'ar)
-Zeltennia is Sallum (Krynar)
-The Royal City of Lesalia is J'are, the human capital.

What is Limberry then?
Limberry is part of Sallum.

Recently (maybe in the last 40ish years), only the humans have shown interest in developing guns but they are prohibitively expensive as they require a special type of alloy to make (my rules!) which explains their rarity. Magic does not give any incentives to make guns. If I had to make a comparison, the designs of guns will be up to the American Civil War but slightly worse.

Thus, most nations still use swords etc., as they are cheap and still very reliable.

The bullets are relatively cheap.

Ex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Army_Model_1860
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1861

Cannons are the only form of weapon airships can model at this time. Also, no shotguns, only rifles and handguns.
10/09/2012 08:00 PMPosted by smylez
they are prohibitively expensive as they require a special type of alloy to make

... Steel? The swords are magical or are made of iron.

Edit:
From Fawwer:
OOC: For purposes I'll put the Tosk inside the Dorvauldar Marsh.

IC: I nudge the foxgirl with my foot.
Limberry is part of Sallum.

Recently (maybe in the last 40ish years), only the humans have shown interest in developing guns but they are prohibitively expensive as they require a special type of alloy to make (my rules!) which explains their rarity. Magic does not give any incentives to make guns. If I had to make a comparison, the designs of guns will be up to the American Civil War but slightly worse.

Thus, most nations still use swords etc., as they are cheap and still very reliable.

The bullets are relatively cheap.

Ex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Army_Model_1860
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1861

Cannons are the only form of weapon airships can model at this time. Also, no shotguns, only rifles and handguns.
Okay, replace it with a rifle then. Can the coilguns stay, by the way? I figured out a way to make them work theoretically (magic + technology = win, which is what Cerius specializes in), and they still have drawbacks compared to ordinary guns. The only real advantage that they give me is having a lot of range and hitting power, but they shoot very slowly, since they are powered by a modified version of a self replenishing lightning trap. Plus the fact that they are ridiculously expensive for me to make, so only one ship has them.
Steel and a few other rare minerals in this fantasy universe makes gun click. Steel is fairly expensive too. Human industrial levels aren't at the capacity to mass produce cheap goods and steelmaking has not found that efficient process to make or produce it so it is a very labor intensive work. The other rare ores need to be refined etc. Thus, iron is the most widely used metal in weapons.

Any more clarifying questions?

EDIT:
That could work but I need to know drawbacks. Don't want to be in the middle of fight and then suddenly your coilgun does something unimaginable.

EDIT 2:
Very well, I doubt you have THAT many coilguns. Just to be sure, they shoot lightning really fast?
OOC: I'll ask them tomorrow. Too tired to think. Need sleep.

IC: "She's not responding..."

"Looks like she's breathing though."
I smile and incline my head slightly.

"I am a master of selective hearing. As far as the effective use of your time... If you wish an expedient demonstration of my skills, simply throw a fireball or lightning at me. Or we could just talk on the road. As I am unemployed, I have scarce else constructive to do with my time."

Hunting celestials is is hardly safe. I hope this mage knows what she is doing.

A sudden gust of wind blows in, causing my cloak to billow outwards.
And... Revealing my armor.

I can only hope that she has not read Shalten's Warnings to the Magus. The Agiel is described in it alone. I recall the passage that has caused me so much trouble.

Warning to the Magus. (All passages started like that)
This next threat is one not to fear, but to flee. Flee from the Agiel. For it brings pain and pain alone. Pain greater than any any other mortal torture can provide. But the barer of the Agiel... Fear this being more than the Agiel itself. They are pain's masters. They are pain's servants. They are pain's standard bearers.

And they are the a mage's end.

For the Agiel gives its user a reward for surviving the pain. Not the pain of one strike... Nor the pain of a hundred strikes... or even a thousand.

But the pain of a thousand strikes inflicted on a child. For it must be a child. That is how the Magic of the Agiel works. The wielder must brake the child of pain. It is rarely the only thing the child is broken of.

Pity... Compassion... Love... these can be broken as well.

True Warning to the Magus. (This signals the important part)
The Ageil causes pain... But the user redirects magic.
Cast not Lightning... Lest you be struck down.
Cast not Fire... Lest you be burned.
Cast not Toad... Lest you croak.
Steel and a few other rare minerals in this fantasy universe makes gun click. Steel is fairly expensive too. Human industrial levels aren't at the capacity to mass produce cheap goods and steelmaking has not found that efficient process to make or produce it so it is a very labor intensive work. The other rare ores need to be refined etc. Thus, iron is the most widely used metal in weapons.

Any more clarifying questions?

EDIT:
That could work but I need to know drawbacks. Don't want to be in the middle of fight and then suddenly your coilgun does something unimaginable.

EDIT 2:
Very well, I doubt you have THAT many coilguns. Just to be sure, they shoot lightning really fast?
No, coilguns are basically super high velocity sniper rifles that accelerate projectiles using electromagnets. They are fairly easy to build, but have huge energy requirements (hence the lightning runes). The main drawback is the fire rate, as a lighting trap that is sufficiently powerful takes a fair while to recharge (I'm going to say maybe 15-20 seconds between shots). And no, I don't have many. There are currently 16 mounted on the Tranquility, and Miranda has one as a sniper rifle, and I'm not planning on making any more of them until possibly much later.

edit: And before you say it, no, it's not a railgun. Coilguns are much easier to build, and you can make a small one in your basement, so it should be possible for me to have.
OOC: This is going to be the first time I reveal my existence to anyone outside of Skycastle, as well as a demonstration of military power.

IC:

///Synthis///

The Tranquility flew perfectly. Evidently, Cerius had maintained the airship very well while I had been dead, making sure every system performed flawlessly even now. We are flying due eastwards, to survey the area for a suitable location to build a ground base. Accompanying Tranquility are two Supply Carriers and a Recon Spotter, smaller airships designed by Cerius to help support our larger ships. I look out the side of the control car, watching the mountains drift by serenely.

"Sir, message from Recon Spotter 12."

I turn to see Sel Rayis, a Sylt'ar soldier and mage behind me, having just come down the ladder. "Continue."

She pauses for a moment to take a breath, and then proceeds. "There is a village below us under attack by what appears to be a group of bandits. I was asked to inform you as soon as possible."

Confused as to why she is bothering me with this, I reply, "And why do I care?"

She looks down a bit. "Well, the village is right on top a perfect flat area with plenty of natural resources nearby..."

"Ah." I turn to Miranda Frost, my the Tranquility's tactical officer, sniper, and one of my best students, as well as the person closest to the ship's radio. "Miranda, call the Supply Carriers. Tell them to land and deploy 20 Constructs and then wait for orders. Oh, and get your coilgun ready. We have bandits to kill."

"Tranquility, reduce altitude and speed. Adjust angle for optimal field of fire toward the village, and inform the crew that they are needed at battle stations."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the bandits, criminals, and murderers charge into the village under Dora's spell, the head of one of the bandits explodes, followed by a sharp bang.

"Good shot, Miranda."

"Thanks," she replies, not looking up from her scope as she fires another shot out the control car window.

The first shot is soon picked up by a chorus of others, bandits' bodies shattering as the Tranquility's guns rain supersonic death down on them.

Bang, bang, bangbang, bang... bang, fzssssss...

About half the bandits are dead within seconds, between cannon shells, coilgun shots, and the destruction caused by the focused power of the sun. The confused raiders scatter, some going berserk and attacking everything in sight, some fleeing, and others simply wandering around, stunned. Soon, however, a second terror begins to stalk them.

Mechanical Constructs, animated by the raised souls of fallen warriors, step into the battle, slicing their enemies to pieces with blades. The bandits try to fight back, but the Constructs' armor is far too thick, the weak blows deflecting off as if hitting a wall.

After the last of the bandits are dead, the Constructs round up the townspeople into an open area, and I come down from the Tranquility to speak to them in person, remaining invisible, and then appearing out of nowhere in front of them for dramatic effect.

"Greetings, townspeople. We are now your effective "government", and will be indefinitely. You will abandon all tasks that are not necessary, and begin work immediately, on constructing a fortress surrounding this village. Details will be provided later, but for now I will tell you this. Do not, attempt to resist us. You will not be harmed, and food will be flown in by airship, provided that you cooperate. If not, you will either have your work doubled, tripled, or be killed, depending on the severity of your infraction. Airships will maintain watch continuously, and will not miss anything that you do. Until tomorrow," I say, turning and walking back to the Tranquility.

The people start muttering to themselves, confused. One man then yells back at me, and I turn around.

"You can't do this to us! This is unjust! You scum, you're just as bad as those bandits!", he screams, before charging at me with a dagger.

I turn back around and continue walking, as his blade stabs through me and does nothing. I gesture to one of the Constructs, which promptly impales the man on its upper pair of blades, before slicing his writhing body in two with the lower pair. The Construct pushes the top half of the corpse off its blades, and then walks back into its original position.

"And that counted as resisting. I bid you farewell."
Seth, behind his mask was silent. He stared at Lisora, and maintained an absolute silence. After a few seconds he responded, "I live here, and The temple has given me permission to be its guide."

Seth's body blocked the narrow entrance, and blocked the angular view around the corner of the entrance.
Basically, the cave temple hallway turns right, and Seth is in the line of sight preventing people from seeing any futher. Also the statues are not damaged by age, or lack of care, but rather physical damage.