Buy HotS @ Gamestop

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
Cool man thanks for the info.

I want to know why Blizzard isn't supporting their own product and directly giving out beta keys for the pre-orders they sell?

Afterall, they get MORE money by directly selling it themselves.

That was my first thought as well... Strange world this place
Cool man thanks for the info.

I want to know why Blizzard isn't supporting their own product and directly giving out beta keys for the pre-orders they sell?

Afterall, they get MORE money by directly selling it themselves.

That was my first thought as well... Strange world this place

My guess is that it has to do with their distribution contacts and contracts. Blizzard probably has to divvy out so many incentives to shop at their retail outlets in exchange for "such and such"... Or maybe it's just a gesture of good will in order to sustain working relationships within the industry. Or maybe it's simply another avenue to incur more beta-testers outside of the current demographic of current SC2 players that frequent Blizzard forums and websites. Dunno
Is GameStop actually giving out Beta Keys when you put down $5 on it? If so I'm running over there sometime in the next couple of days.
Can anybody confirm if they tried this in Canada? Gamestop 's sister store is ebgames. Any confirmation if someone has tried at ebgames? If I haven't heard back by the time they open I'll head over there and try it out myself. I'll let you know what I find out.
Seems Gamestop is not the only one doing pre order to get Beta.

http://www.amazon.com/StarCraft-II-Heart-Swarm-Pc/dp/B002I0KP4G
11/16/2012 01:57 AMPosted by PanZxJassie
Is GameStop actually giving out Beta Keys when you put down $5 on it? If so I'm running over there sometime in the next couple of days.

It would appear so. I stopped by yesterday since Gamestop is literally right next to where I work, both employees didn't know or was unsure about the preorder deal, but when I placed a small amount on it the beta key was on receipt under the name of 'Heart of the Storm'.

Tho it seems like Amazon is mailing out their beta keys as well.
11/16/2012 03:19 AMPosted by Necromancer

It would appear so. I stopped by yesterday since Gamestop is literally right next to where I work, both employees didn't know or was unsure about the preorder deal, but when I placed a small amount on it the beta key was on receipt under the name of 'Heart of the Storm'.

Tho it seems like Amazon is mailing out their beta keys as well.

The Beta Key worked though right?

I plan on stopping by when I can(It's a 20 minute drive out of the way of anywhere I'd usually go) but not actually pay it off until January or February.
I can confirm Amazon.com gives you a key. I just received mine from an online order (emailed to me), and created my HotS beta account!

Pretty pumped to play it later today... As for now: Off to school.
Ok so ebgames in Canada will have beta keys by tuesday. They'll be in card form.
I pre-ordered the CE from Amazon the day it was announced and they emailed me a beta key for HotS this morning.
I got a key from Amazon this morning too. If you're going to order it from anywhere, do it from the TL site or Amazon, the key comes free.
Like others, I went to my local gamestop and asked the employee's if putting down the preorder gave a key. Neither knew so I just went ahead and placed the 5 bucks. The key was there and I contributed to staff training.
11/16/2012 03:22 AMPosted by PanZxJassie
The Beta Key worked though right?

It does. You just have to go to your battle.net account and use "Add game key"(or whatever it was.).
11/16/2012 09:40 AMPosted by DanOWar
Like others, I went to my local gamestop and asked the employee's if putting down the preorder gave a key. Neither knew so I just went ahead and placed the 5 bucks. The key was there and I contributed to staff training.

Do you have to preorder HOTS then pay an extra 5$ for the beta key, or can you just pay the beta key separably?
11/16/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Archy
Do you have to preorder HOTS then pay an extra 5$ for the beta key, or can you just pay the beta key separably?

I think you have to pre-order HotS.
My Report is in! It worked, I per-ordered at Gamestop a collector's addition and now I'm in the Beta! Only 5 dollars now, the rest later. Love it!!! :D
Lucky.
Amazon deal sounds nice, but a bit hesitant because you might have to wait awhile for the actual game to be shipped to your house.
I can confirm that Amazon emails you a BETA key virtually instantly when you preorder the standard edition. Can't say anything about Gamestop or any others.

I also don't know if they somehow can cancel the beta key if you cancel the order after you get the key in your email. The reason I am wondering is because the package is released on the 12th of march but may not arrive until the 18th-21st (their estimate), so it would be nice if I could cancel it, keep the beta, and then just order the digital version from blizzard directly.