Is Mech play good option in WOL? :/

Terran Discussion
Post Limit:
I used to be Terran (Protoss atm) but thinking of playing Terran again. :/
Only thing I worries as Terran is AEO attacks since my micro is bad......SigeTanks, Colossi, Storms, Fungals, Banelings, etc.... They kill Marines like ants....
But I think it's the race that fits me most at the moment.

Anyway since my Bio ball will be easily countered against AEO, I am thinking of more durable Mech play style. :/
But I heard it lacks mobility and least used in WOL.
Is Mech play good option (WOL)? :/
Mech is viable against every race but Protoss.
just don't mech vs toss. Its a little different from tvz and tvt though but not by much. In tvt you need a good viking count while in tvz you need a good thor count if the zerg goes air.
There is in fact a Mech style in TvP, but it takes a very long time to end a game. Link to the guide here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=323003

There is another style of Mech, but it's harder to win though it doesn't take quite as long to end the game. Link here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=378181
Mech play is viable against all races. But against protoss is the hardest due to almost all their units counter tanks.

For me, the best units to be used against protoss are Marines/Hellions, banshees, thor and ravens.

Because their ground units are quite "OP" because they deal too much splash damage (Compared to their air units). Protoss players almost forgot that the Stargate exists, so banshees are a good DPS option.

They don't have a good mobile detection (Observers although invisible, are very easy to kill) so that makes Banshees a powerful unit against them.

Use ravens to PDD the battlefeld and enjoy the protoss retreat.

Use ghosts to EMP / Snipe HT and GG
Thanks you all for great answers. :)
Well, I am looking forward for improved Mech in HOTS, sadly War-hound was removed :/
Thanks you all for great answers. :)
Well, I am looking forward for improved Mech in HOTS, sadly War-hound was removed :/

we all were...
If you wan't to mech in TvP learn it and do it there are better players who mech every TvP then the people who post on here.
10/31/2012 03:28 AMPosted by Memadbyte

truth

11/01/2012 03:28 AMPosted by MetalGear
If you wan't to mech in TvP learn it and do it there are better players who mech every TvP then the people who post on here.

try mech vs high masters P or GM
doesn't work, at all

the only way i get it to work is if i do some cheesy crap like proxy fact + reactor into nothng but hellion runbies and then into cloak + expo
even then it's a coinflip and i die to pretty much anything more than 2gates + WG tech at my front door
doesn't work, at all

You do realize there is a small group of mech players at high masters and GM level who mech TvP basically all the time. It may not be ideal at a pro level but its defenetly not going to hold him back.
Mech is not the only way to macro/less micro...

TvT Transitions:

Mass Nukes: Use a ton of ghost academies/nukes. This is a good option when the game is in a stalemate-ish feel. If your tanks are lined up, vikings even, middle expansions hostile and undeveloped, and there is no weak spot to target... get nukes. Use nukes to force a retreat. While they retreat you can move your tanks forward and cancel the nuke so it does not kill you. Attempt to use many nukes at a time so it is harder to scan and pick off ghosts. Though the nukes might not hit anything it can throw your opponent off position and maybe you can be able to break him soon. It is also a good cycle-logical attack. A bunch of "nuclear launch detected" is enough to give even code-s players a mental breakdown. Best of all it requires less apm/micro. Just don't go "afk" for 20sec just to watch cool explosions.

Sky Terran: If you are winning the viking wars you can opt for ravens. Why? Well because ravens are good late game in general plus their pdd also helps you retain your air advantage. Once you secured ravens into the mix and still have an air edge, get battlecrusiers. Once your battlecrusiers reach 3-3, marines will no longer pose a threat. You can even stop tank production to get a few thors into your army just to keep enemy vikings at a disadvantage. Don't forget to use yamoto and a few hsm might be a good addition to add into the fray. Hsm is also a good retreat option. If caught out of position or being demolished unleash a few hsm and run for it. That way 2 things can happen.
1. Your opponent retreats from the missiles and you can regroup.
2. Even better if your opponent runs into the missiles and now you should be able to overpower them.
Remember to keep good repairs and stay pretty passive till your battlecrusiers are at 3-3. A good harassment choice if you like to add one would be banshees. Use them to prevent mass expanding. Also know that sky terran is a transition. Marine tank mid-game will always be a given.

TvZ Transitions:

Sky Terran:
Basically just ravens. Ravens, Ravens, Ravens. Your mid-game will be... Ravens. Your late-game will be... Ravens. Your midgame should be a mix of standard marine/tank with ravens. However another good mix is MMM Ravens. The reason why is because MMM is cheap and it sets up infantry upgrades and medivacs. This will help your ghosts a lot, later on. As a sky player go for Ravens, Battlecrusiers, Ghosts, supported with a few vikings and medivacs. Throughout the game try to keep your ravens alive. Use ghosts to emp infestors. Also during the time zerg is transitioning into broodlords... get a pf wall going. Use the planetary fortresses to stop counterattacking. In the late game don't overbuild vikings and don't be afraid to overbuild ghosts. Vikings can get mauled by a good fungal so having an entire armada of one is unnecessary. Just keep a few to keep corupters at bay. Use yamoto to snipe full energy infestors and try to emp. The good thing about overbuilding ghosts is that you will be able to kill off an unlimited number of lings and broodlings. Try not to hsm the corrupters. Save the energy to hit the infestors. Don't go for broodlords too much either since your entire army is air and your ground force is anti broodling with cloak. Just keep repairs up and you should be good.

TvP Transitions:

Sky Terran (again):
Similar to vs zerg. But get waaayyyy less ravens. Ravens are a good support but they don't help out too much besides for pdd vs stalkers. Feedback will rip them apart so keep numbers low. Vs protoss your main mix should be consisted of Ghosts, Vikings, Battlecrusiers, supported with ravens and medivacs. To transition out of MMM Just cut back the marine marauder and start hardcore ghost viking production. When 3+ bases are obtained go for bc. Use ghosts to emp templars. Use bc to yamoto any deadly units like archons and maybe some wierd voidray transitions. More importantly scan and kill observers with vikings. Without observers ghosts will become almost invincible plus while replenishing so many observers any kind of robo production will be shut down. No more immortals or colossi. Keep good rapairs, don't overbuild bcs, get a ton of ghosts, and you should be fine.

Thorzain VG:
Similar transition to sky terran but it is pure mass ghosts and vikings. Killing observers is the #1 key to this build. Without observers your oversized ghost army will be able to cloak and snipe/focus fire templars and colossi. To kill observers just scan and use your overly sized viking force to take them out. With all of the colossi and templar tech gone you can also then stim in your meager bio force for the kill. This build will outright kill any zealot heavy armies due to ghost auto attack anti-light attributes. Just keep on building orbitals for scans and keep your ghosts alive. Soon protoss will complain how op terran late game is.
10/31/2012 03:28 AMPosted by Memadbyte
11/01/2012 10:32 AMPosted by SenzaErrori

truth

doesn't work, at all

the only way i get it to work is if i do some cheesy crap like proxy fact + reactor into nothng but hellion runbies and then into cloak + expo
even then it's a coinflip and i die to pretty much anything more than 2gates + WG tech at my front door
Hammer does a pretty good Mech style vs toss in Masters.