No Offracing Allowed

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 15 Next
Having different mmrs for the practice area (unranked play) makes a lot of sense. We'll discuss it internally as well to see what the best direction is.

I can already see Dayvie entering the room where they take all the decision and mention this idea.

He would probably go back to his chair quietly after being told "So we should put efforts into losing sales opportunities?"
If Blizzard wants money, they market WoW. I bet they would have made Starcraft II an MMO if they wanted cash that much.

As I haven't posted here yet, I +1 the OP and the suggestion to have unranked play have different MMR's, whoever made it.
Doncroft always with amazing thread!
11/02/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Dayvie
Having different mmrs for the practice area (unranked play) makes a lot of sense. We'll discuss it internally as well to see what the best direction is.

Thanks for the input, Dayvie! I think you bring up a good point that some hadn't thought of!

That is, use unranked play for practice and offracing (per race mmr applies), but when you play for rank, you should be using your best mmr anyways.

Maybe you should give the option to reset your MMR for unranked play. That way if you try a different race you can just reset your MMR so you can play more closer to a level you are at with that race. Maybe have a cooldown on the reset option as well like once a week or something so it's not too hard on the system from too many people resetting their MMR in unranked play too much.

I am so glad you responded and gave us a heads up on your possible decision making.

Although if this were implemented I could probably live with it. I still would love to have a ladder rank for every race. I just have a feeling that that isn't what they want to do. I would love to see where I can get my offrace to. Otherwise it is just a secret MMR and I won't really know how good I got other than seeing more and more wins.

Again, I would prefer this to nothing, but would love to see multiple ladder rankings.
Dayvie, this is great news for people excited about unranked play. Don't stop here though! Unranked play still needs an option to let people choose specific racial matchups.

If you guys can sort out the technical challenges of multiple MMRs for off-racing, I hope you can figure out a way to implement this as well.
I endorse this.

Upvoted at reddit.
I would gladly pay a monthly subscription for this service, but I do not think that doing so is required.

This I do not understand. You would be more willing to pay monthly for the game rather than having a one time payment (and expansions) for the game?
The reason that I am willing to pay a subscription is because it would be better to have one account with easily visible stats and friend's lists and such.

Dayvie, thank you for responding. Please keep us informed. I believe that different MMRs for the unranked ladder would improve SC2 as a product and thus raise sales. I would never buy a second account, but I would tell all my friends that you guys care about your customers and make amazing games. It feels too F2P if I need to pay extra for the "extra" account+ladder.
There is no reason for this. A player at high level should know all races upgrades and abilities as is, there is no reason for this at all especially with unrank option in hots.

This is unfair for people in lower ladders, it allows people in higher leagues to low cheese lower leagues, this will cause rage and chaos among bronze silver and low gold.
Firstly, unranked still uses a MMR to find matches. Secondly, your off-race MMR will still show your general skill level, so high level players will still be high level unless they are lower level with a specific race.
Yeah!

Woot, its a good idea, will encourage folks to try a different race and play more.
Random isn't a race, it's a feature.
I wrote this thread just yesterday:

"Something I would personally like to see is separate league placement for each race. I think one reason that players get so stuck in playing one race is because they invest a bunch of time in getting good at one race then they're afraid to switch and try out the other 2 because they're afraid of bringing down their league placement. For example, I play only zerg- not just mostly, only. This is because any time I try out protoss and terran in custom games (just to try them out), I lose to players in lower leagues. I was wondering if anyone knew if the new leveling system would have separate leagues for each race or does it simply show your statistics with each race now? Keep in mind, the point of this thread is not about which race is easier to play."

I think this is about the best-case scenario. Having different mmrs for league play may just be too chaotic. Imagine going to someone's profile and having to look at 3 separate sets of stats for all the different categories of stats there will be in HoTS. Different mmrs for just the practice area I think would be the best way to do this.
+1 Awsome idea!
Too be honest, having different mmrs for the practice area (unranked play) will triple SC2's playability for me. I have played zerg pretty much exclusively for most of SC2's life. This will open up Terran and Protoss for me because this would allow fair matchmaking separately for those 2 other races.
Doncroft FTW!
11/01/2012 09:40 PMPosted by OceanFlex
I am having trouble fighting the urge to continue this flamewar with you. Then again, free bumps...

Not flaming at all. I agree with this topic completely and would love the change.As long as the topic is getting recognition i really shouldnt care. I obviously could have put more time into making my topic before but i was just putting something up before i left for dinner.
Well as long as smurf accounts get the benefit of being able to play ranked games then it would be fair.
Eh, honestly I don't care that much. If I lose a bunch as terran, which is a lot cause I'm bad, it tanks my mmr and I then roflstomp as toss or zerg (I'm random most of the time.)

Then again I have zero desire to climb the ladder, I like where I am at and have fun at this level, so to me it doesn't matter but I can see how some people would care.
11/02/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Ponera
Then again I have zero desire to climb the ladder, I like where I am at and have fun at this level, so to me it doesn't matter but I can see how some people would care.

Exactly. Like you told me in an earlier thread, you don't 1v1, especially not competitively. This is for people who want that excellent, equally matched feel when offracing too, in 1v1.

I really hope this can be worked in even if it is just for unranked play.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this will allow us to also gain XP points for all the races without forcing ourselves to play outside of our MMR levels for particular races.