Why double zerg structure?

Zerg Discussion
So, I'm destroying the enemy base, then lo and behold, two hydra dens next to each other? Two baneling nests? Two ultra dens? Why do people even do that?
some times ppl will double spire or roach for upgrades but those specific buildings no idea. Sometimes i will build like a second spawning pool at an expansion just in case a drop defense comes late and i lose some tech i might really wanna save
Sometimes people accidentally do it. It happens especially often with buildings that take a while to build.
That's..not normal lol
Welcome to wood league, man.
11/12/2012 12:43 AMPosted by DukeInstinct
Welcome to wood league, man.
Because it's bronze :)
11/11/2012 11:31 PMPosted by LoneZealot
So, I'm destroying the enemy base, then lo and behold, two hydra dens next to each other? Two baneling nests? Two ultra dens? Why do people even do that?

Because twice as many hydra dens lets you build hydras twice as fast. And we all know how crucial hydras are to any build.
That's normal lol

11/12/2012 11:34 AMPosted by BlackAdder
Because it's bronze :)
He was trying to surrender.

He was aware that if you build a hydralisk den you will lose the game, but he wasn't really aware of the timeframe. When it didn't work immediately, he built another one.

He was also aware of the destiny quote about making ultralisks when you are ahead and want to lose (although this one is less true than the hydralisk one) so he tried that as well.
Because bronze
I've built an extra Baneling Nest when I meant to build my Evolution Chamber.
I've built a two extra Spawning Pools after my opponent sniped my original with a drop.
@oboemam: I don't know why people criticize hydras so much, they're great meat sheilds and the range upgrade helps during assists.
@ Almost everyone else: I know I'm a bronze. I'm not exactly good and I know it. Now I can understand this if it was, for say, double evo chamber or double spire, but I can't think of anyone in their right mind would do that with ultra caverns.

And I saw someone wall off a choke with a bunch of lings. Ah, mutalisks, always give me a good laugh.

@dukeinstinct: I thought that when my qualifier for season 5 opponent had 10 lings when I had roaches, hydras, mutas.
its most often a mistake. happens most often with infestation pits, can also happen with roach warrens, spires, ultralisk dens..

double spire is often done for upgrades. double infestation pit and roach warren is very rarely done for upgrades, hypothetically someone could go double pool for upgrades but i cant imagine a build that would be like...nah i dont need lings and then hive tech comes and u cant live without speed and cracklling upgrade at the same time.

if an opponent is targeting tech, players will sometimes double tech structures, but this is done at a different base, not right next to eachother. i.e. u target my greater spire at my main, i throw up another spire at my 3rd incase it goes down.

but like i said, most often a mistake.
I don't know why people criticize hydras so much, they're great meat sheilds

Umm.. want to try again?
11/12/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Chris
spires

wtf you are talking about
11/12/2012 10:57 PMPosted by LoneZealot
@ Almost everyone else: I know I'm a bronze. I'm not exactly good and I know it. Now I can understand this if it was, for say, double evo chamber or double spire, but I can't think of anyone in their right mind would do that with ultra caverns.

No, you're absolutely right and we shouldn't tease you :) Almost anything with upgrades has at least some rare justification for duplication. Anything else duplicated had better be a backup at another base because you main is under attack.
But even pros accidentally double build things occasionally because they hit the wrong hot key.

EDIT: Oh, and don't build hydras. There are situations where they are useful, but you can just assume they never apply to you and be perfectly fine for a long time.
likely mistakes! i sometimes build to spawning pools instead of 1 spawning pool and one spire....same thing happens with infestor pits and hydra dens, because itend to build both at the same time!

Now, if a building has 2 or more upgrades, i might build both to hurry the upgrades along, but that's only if the unit is really important to my strat. If I go muta-ling, for instance, i double evo and likely go double spire so my units upgrade that much faster...
11/12/2012 10:57 PMPosted by LoneZealot
I don't know why people criticize hydras so much, they're great meat sheilds

This is the exact opposite of what hydras are. They're glass cannons that are awful without a meat shield in front of them (preferably roaches, but lings can work as well).

And yeah, even pros do this from time to time where they build two of the same tech structure, the reason is simple: it's a mistake.