Q&A for Lower League Players(1Year,15 Weeks)

Protoss Discussion
11/27/2012 11:16 PMPosted by CATSCLAW
How to deal with massed Voidrays or massed mutas. Mainly voidrays? I usally play as random.

Mass Mutas is best dealt with Psi Storm. Phoenixes are only strong against Mutas in small numbers (>10). After a certain point in Muta production, it is best to get a sizable force of Blink Stalkers to ward Mutas, but this solution only lasts until Muta numbers get to 25+. After this point, Psi Storm is required to deal significant damage to the Muta Ball.

Mass Void Rays are multi-pronged attacks. Void Rays are slow, meaning a mobile force like a Speed Prism and Blink Stalkers have plenty of opportunities to harass, snipe Tech buildings, destroy economy, and pick off some units.

Should you find yourself in a direct engagement with Mass Voids, Blink Stalkers, Archons, and a few Sentries are your best bet. Make sure you have AT LEAST 12+ Gates or else you will not be able to reinforce quickly enough.
Let me preface this by saying, I am currently terrible at this game. I've only been playing for a few days and I jumped straight into ladder play. I've never really been a huge RTS fan, but I saw Sc2 on sale for Black Friday. I downloaded a starter edition and loved the campaign missions. So, I bought SC2 right away and jumped in feet first. After, losing 40 something matches, I have say I still love this game.

Which is rare for me since I tend to get frustrated easily. SC2 is the only game in recent memory that I find extremely frustrating but also completely addicting. I went out there, read a bunch of guides and watched about a day's worth of Day[9]'s "Newbie Tuesdays" to try to learn a bit about the game.

I got a few victories but I still feel like I need to learn a lot more. Specifically, I'm trying to learn how to macro manage better. I always feel like I'm making way more minerals than I can possibly hope to spend. (Without queuing things, which I hear is one of the worst things in the universe) Conversely, I can never seem to get enough gas.

Also, I never know when to expand. I know that when I'm attacking or when my opponent has just attacked are good times. But what about when there's a lull in the action? Should I have a certain number of bases by a certain time/supply number?

Anyway, I'm going to leave a link to my most recent game replay. Feel free to criticize but keep in mind I've only got about a day's worth of play time under my belt.

http://drop.sc/players/US/4021042/HulkSmash
Let me preface this by saying, I am currently terrible at this game. I've only been playing for a few days and I jumped straight into ladder play. I've never really been a huge RTS fan, but I saw Sc2 on sale for Black Friday. I downloaded a starter edition and loved the campaign missions. So, I bought SC2 right away and jumped in feet first. After, losing 40 something matches, I have say I still love this game.

Which is rare for me since I tend to get frustrated easily. SC2 is the only game in recent memory that I find extremely frustrating but also completely addicting. I went out there, read a bunch of guides and watched about a day's worth of Day[9]'s "Newbie Tuesdays" to try to learn a bit about the game.

I got a few victories but I still feel like I need to learn a lot more. Specifically, I'm trying to learn how to macro manage better. I always feel like I'm making way more minerals than I can possibly hope to spend. (Without queuing things, which I hear is one of the worst things in the universe) Conversely, I can never seem to get enough gas.

Also, I never know when to expand. I know that when I'm attacking or when my opponent has just attacked are good times. But what about when there's a lull in the action? Should I have a certain number of bases by a certain time/supply number?

Anyway, I'm going to leave a link to my most recent game replay. Feel free to criticize but keep in mind I've only got about a day's worth of play time under my belt.

http://drop.sc/players/US/4021042/HulkSmash

If you are able to look up Build Orders, most of them have the 1st Expansion at your Natural planned out, except for PvP.

If you're starting to spend too much gas, then it could mean that you're teching too hard, or you're not producing enough Gateway Units and too many higher tech units. This is, of course, assuming that you've already taken all assimilators that are available to you given your current Base count.

As a rule of thumb, when you see your enemy expand, it's good to expand soon after, with the exception of PvZ. In PvZ, If you run an FFE Build Order, the Zerg *MAY* (more likely than not) take a VERY early 3rd. In this scenario, you are expected to secure your 3rd only after you have applied good pressure on the Zerg or built a sizable army to defend it with or have the resources to place down cannons, etc.
Hi guys,

I'm switching to protoss and I'd like to have some help!

1. Can you guys give me a good 3 colossus push build againts terran?
2. When I try to go for a macro opening againts Terran such as getting a colossus againts the 10 minutes push... How do you defend from 2 raxes w/ addons? If I do defend it I scrapped my build of about 2-3 minutes lol. So all my tech is delayed and it shouldn't happen.
3. In PvZ is it much better to just all-in? I'm working on that Parting immortal sentry push.

Thanks that's all for now!
JoKeR
11/29/2012 05:13 AMPosted by SgtJoKeR

there is no such thing really....just defend yourself until you have 150 + supply of army. Then you can start to push back.

2. When I try to go for a macro opening againts Terran such as getting a colossus againts the 10 minutes push... How do you defend from 2 raxes w/ addons? If I do defend it I scrapped my build of about 2-3 minutes lol. So all my tech is delayed and it shouldn't happen.

Scout better, so you can prepare ahead.

3. In PvZ is it much better to just all-in? I'm working on that Parting immortal sentry push.

it's more like....denying Zerg 3rd, denying Zerg 4th while getting your 3rd up.
Is it better to keep stalkers or a high templar to prevent drops?

1. It's not really a definite order or timing, it's the aggregate unit count you're looking at. If you're feeling greedy, I've seen people go Gate - Core - Expand - Robo - Gate - Gate - Robo Bay, and get their first Colossus off the back of 2 Sentries and a Zealot. Of course, if the Terran DOES do some sort of early pressure, he will mess you up hard, but that's why it's 'greed'.

In regards to the 'push' itself, it's going to depend heavily on what time his Medivacs come out, when he's switching to Viking production, and whether or not he takes a third. You CAN push as early as with your first Colossus (but the lack of Thermal Lance may hurt you, or if he has enough Marauders to risk sniping it), or wait until you have 3 with Thermal Lance and about 130-150 supply of stuff. Test the range of Colossi numbers and then watch your replays to see when you should be delaying for more units and when you should be just going for it.

2. 2-rax pressure is DESIGNED to halt your tech and force you to play a different game. Unless you scout it early, you have to accept a significant delay in your plan. Remember that his expo and tech is likewise delayed (of course, that tends to be good for him because small numbers of Marine/Marauder eat Gateway units for breakfast), so keep getting Sentries and Stalkers to fight off the packs and just try to avoid too much economic damage. You'll need at least 3 Gates or quick Immortals to defend the pushes from the Terran, but in general both sides are just going to be walking a razor's edge of unit control to keep their opponent pinned back. Once you have enough Sentries and other units to not worry about your front, make sure you guard against drop attacks and speed your way to your chosen tech path (in this case, Colossus), because you need to restore your game plan. However, this is ONLY after you have defended everything.
While XxXxX was really unhelpful, Jazzman helped out.
Thanks
Phoenixes are only strong against Mutas in small numbers (>10). After a certain point in Muta production, it is best to get a sizable force of Blink Stalkers to ward Mutas, but this solution only lasts until Muta numbers get to 25+. After this point, Psi Storm is required to deal significant damage to the Muta Ball.

~10 Phoenixes with range upgrade are good against any number of mutas in the open, but you want some ground-based AA (preferably archons) to protect suicide runs on your probes if he stubborn enough to keep making mutas.
Best way to bust through Terran base defense? Normally they have it blocked off, with bunker and siege tanks.

I also seem to have issues with zerg- too many roaches / lings that seem to give me major issues. I will admit I am horrible at FFs, I really need to get better at using those.

1-gate expand into 3-gate robo with either the greedier form of the robo or the 3 gates first. You'll need 3 gas geysers in total. Go up to 6 gateways and start moving on to the map at 2 colossus rallying the 3rd. Put down a proxy pylon and do a warpin and move in with the 3 colossus reinforcing with only gateway units.

Keep in mind that is a 2-base all-in so you'll have to do plenty of damage. The alternate version is to not get as many gateways and take a 3rd base, but it's more typical to stay on 2 colossus as the more you invest in colossus the more vikings can hurt, but if they don't build enough vikings more colossus do a lot of damage.

If you precise in your build order you can hold off 2-rax pressure with a 1-gate expand. Going gate > assimilator > core > zealot > stalker > nexus > sentry > 2 more gates.
This can hold off 2-rax without needing to stop probe production and without having to pull probes assuming you micro well. In fact this can make a 2-base counter attack deadly if you kill off the units from the 2-rax with minimal losses.

It's really hard to win PvZ without doing some form of all-in because getting an army capable of taking on brood/infestor/spine is almost impossible. There are various pressure builds and well as all-ins on 2-3 bases.
And because this is like the greatest guide ever for pvz: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=383628
11/29/2012 09:01 AMPosted by DocSlowMo
Best way to bust through Terran base defense? Normally they have it blocked off, with bunker and siege tanks.

There are a few different timings you can do.

My favorite is a 1-gate expand into 3-gate sentry bust pressure vs a gasless expand. You FF behind the bunker to prevent SCVs from using repair and use guardian shield + zealots with a couple stalkers to take down the bunker(s). This doesn't work vs 1-base terrans though.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5837014628

The next timing is an immortal bust. This can actually be done with a cheese off 1-base or even with a proxy robo. It is possible to do this off of 2-bases, but it's really slow and weak to a force of stimmed marines. Generally works cause immortals tear through both bunkers and tanks.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=309028

Next in line is to try and break through with zealots and collosus. Colossus can take free shots on bunkers. Charglots swarm tanks and colossus do pretty well against them as well.

Storms on stuff never hurt either.

I also seem to have issues with zerg- too many roaches / lings that seem to give me major issues. I will admit I am horrible at FFs, I really need to get better at using those.

There are a whole punch of different roach/ling timings so it's hard to give advice on in general except to say that FF are probably the most important thing in dealing with both of these. Oh and immortals for roaches.
11/27/2012 11:16 PMPosted by CATSCLAW
How to deal with massed Voidrays or massed mutas. Mainly voidrays? I usally play as random.

Mass voidrays are only a problem when you sit there for 30+minutes before engaging (which i know happens a lot in bronze, I've been there). The best solution is to just use observers to scout them, and if you see a lot of stargates, just attack (with your hopefully bigger ground army).
How do I survive the first early push that happens around 8-10 minutes?

1. dozen roaches when I FFE into Stargate
2. 2 dozen marines when I gate FE

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks Wraithcube. I really need to work on using those FFs ;)
How do I survive the first early push that happens around 8-10 minutes?

1. dozen roaches when I FFE into Stargate
2. 2 dozen marines when I gate FE

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1. use sentries, have 4 gates, and a robo to make an immortal
2. have collosus out by then, split a bit of your army to defend against potential drops
11/29/2012 05:33 AMPosted by Rtsprog
Is it better to keep stalkers or a high templar to prevent drops?

Mid Game, I like to keep stalkers at the back as I do not have any warp gates yet, and if I see their entire army moving out towards my front and no drops coming, I can still react in time.

However, Late Game, I prefer High Templar and a couple cannons as they are more supply efficent and by that time I can get a large warpin depending on drop size and it allows me to be more flexible moving out and stuff.
11/29/2012 09:01 AMPosted by DocSlowMo

I was really bad at force-fields in PvZ too. I suggest you try the Sentry-Immortal All-In exclusively for your next 20 PvZ's. It has greatly improved my FF usage from using that strat. Also for defense, a good sim city will help against roch ling and will decrease your reliance on FF if you are bad at it. Seriously, in PvZ, do not be hesitant to just plug up all the holes in your defense with Gateways and cannons, and leave just 1 main entrance that can be easily Force-Fielded.
This is the biggest newb question ever and I swear that I've looked for the answer but I just can't find it. (maybe it's staring me in the face and I don't realize it) How do I cycle between individual units that are the same control group? For example: 4 HTs are control group 1. When I hit the 1 key it takes me to HT #1, how do I cycle through 1-4 when the first guy is selected?
11/30/2012 08:19 PMPosted by HulkSmash
This is the biggest newb question ever and I swear that I've looked for the answer but I just can't find it. (maybe it's staring me in the face and I don't realize it) How do I cycle between individual units that are the same control group? For example: 4 HTs are control group 1. When I hit the 1 key it takes me to HT #1, how do I cycle through 1-4 when the first guy is selected?

Press tab.