Q&A for Lower League Players(1Year,16 Weeks)

Protoss Discussion
Post Limit:
Just realized we didn't have one for this week after watching the week 15 one get bumped up.

Ask away before the world ends and the universe is just left with the protoss and zergs who avoided the mayan calendar influence.
Keep bumping. We must displace the old thread. xD

Thanks for starting this by they way. It was one of those Mondays and it just completely slipped my mind.
I was wondering for all them higher platinum and master players, if you guys use custom hot-keys to increase your APM and macro? If so what are some examples of your custom hot-keys?

I have a problems with macroing and APM and any tips on how to improve it would be awesome. I believe my APM is 75-100 APM avg.
75-100 APM is enough to do pretty much anything you need to do. I'm high diamond (well at least when I ladder enough and hots is distracting) and my average APM for a game is around 80. It's more about being accurate than being fast. It was around 50 when I started playing starcraft and it's just slowing increased as I've played more.

As far as custom hotkeys. I set hold position to 'Q' so that it's easier to reach. I then set patrol to 'H' because 'P' is really hard to reach. And then I set a button on my mouse to "idle worker"

I've also got camera hotkeys setup. ctrl + F[1-4] assigns a location to the hotkey and F[1-4] goes to that location, but I rarely remember to use those.
i use f1 f2 f3 f4 as go to saved location, and ctrl f1 f2 f3 f4 to save the actual location, you dont need a lot of apm, i usually get to around 260-270 entire game
How come protoss isn't as popular as other races? And how do I figure out how to counter a build? Ex. I scout an enemy protoss, and they're building a forge/ gateway. Would I build a forge too? I can never figure out what to do last minute.
12/06/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Baygulls
How come protoss isn't as popular as other races?

I would say that Protoss is pretty even on popularity these days. The only race that would warrant a claim of unpopularity is Terran, but even that is debatable and could change very quickly with the new buffs applied to it.

12/06/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Baygulls
And how do I figure out how to counter a build? Ex. I scout an enemy protoss, and they're building a forge/ gateway. Would I build a forge too? I can never figure out what to do last minute.

Looking at your stats and stuff, I see that you are a new player. I urge you to not think of this game, in turns of build orders, as the purpose of them is just to be more efficient at the highest levels. Instead, think of what you are going to do as finding answers to what your opponent is doing, and the answer you get will be what you do. I am sorry if I am being vague, but to me, this is quite an abstract idea. An example for clarification would be, the question "How do I deal with the big push that comes at 10-13 mintues?". This is an example of a question that many players ask themselves. So, you might come up with ideas such as, building sentries early on to block them off, getting a quick collossos to help deal with it, using drops or DT's to delay them, etc, etc.

My advice to you would be to just get out there and play a ton, then come back here with specific questions about how to deal with things, and we will answer them.

P.S. Always build workers. Probes and pylons man...