[Suggestion] New Channel: Arcade Development

Editor Discussion
I suggested a new channel for custom map development long ago, however I feel that it requires more emphasis than only being mentioned in the suggestion thread.

Support for having a custom map development channel:

-Shows mapmakers than you want to support them. MANY mapmakers feel that Blizard does not support mapmaking due to the currently flawed system and previously more flawed system. I particularly do not share this sentiment, however it would not hurt to make such an effortless show of support.

-Encourages players unfamiliar with the editor to try it out. If they can see that there is a channel right there, they will feel that help is never too far away. The editor can be ran at the same time as SC2, as well as testing maps while being logged in (if SC2 is started via Test Document). Players would make more visual contact to familiarize them with the idea of editing to make starting the editor up for the first time less daunting.

-It is literally only a channel. There would be no need in waiting for a patch to add it. It would make players feel that the game is updated more if the channels changed, if only a little and only once.

-Promotes mapmaking. The development of many maps are inhibited by a lack of testers. Many mapmakers do not want to keep bothering their friends and spamming the Arcade channels (which are presumably mostly filled with people looking for complete and polished Arcade games). This allows mapmakers to test and learn from the experiences of others. It is also much more beneficial to have people familiar with the editor giving feedback.

-Provides a new medium for Blizzard to make individual contact with mapmakers and players. Blizzard employess (or officially recognized mapmakers) could log into the channel to help, support, comment, and suggest on ideas for current maps in development. Corporations making (if only the illusion of) personal contact with a player always makes one feel nice. In-game recognition of Blizzard employees would have to be implemented for this to work out. It could be as simple adding icons for recognized mapmakers and employees, though.

-Generates a greater sense of community. Almost all help for the editor is obtained through independent mapping websites. As those websites are independent, they are not capable of showing who a player is in the actual game (some exceptions). Someone dedicated to helping others make maps should not be limited to reputation on a foreign website. Having an in-game source to participate in would directly promote player socialization.
This has been suggested before. I'm sorry to say it fails because of one simple reason.

StarCraft 2, out of game can eat upwards of half a gig of RAM. That is absurd and will always torpedo any suggestion of using StarCraft 2 as a social client.

Several people have suggested the creation of a light chat client ( a like steam/facebook combo) that has forums, item shops, chat etc without having the actual game. But Blizzard, traditionally... well you know the rest.
This has been suggested before. I'm sorry to say it fails because of one simple reason.

StarCraft 2, out of game can eat upwards of half a gig of RAM. That is absurd and will always torpedo any suggestion of using StarCraft 2 as a social client.

Several people have suggested the creation of a light chat client ( a like steam/facebook combo) that has forums, item shops, chat etc without having the actual game. But Blizzard, traditionally... well you know the rest.

Not sure what you mean. If people are using the editor, they probably have SC2 open already. You're saying people will not want to use the channel while they're testing because they don't want to open SC2.... while SC2 is open? But yes, I do know the rest.

And anyway, it doesn't HAVE to be used directly for aid with the editor. It can always be specifically for testing and custom map making team finding. And the websites are still a good source, for people who want to help without having SC2 open. So it is not specifically the only place people would go to for help.
12/01/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Dogmai
Do you really want to launch the game and go to a chat channel to get help? I want my game launched testing my game mate, having to have Sc2 open to be in a chat channel is bad design.

Why do you believe that this would suddenly become the sole source of gaining information? As I said to Fockewulf, it would still have other purposes, such as testing. And there's also the 50 reasons I listed.
Fail troll is fail.

It is a bad idea in principle. Feel free to make your own custom map making channel and no one will sit in there except for you and your cronies. End of conversation.

I don't think I'll do that, if you'd read my initial post all the way, you'd know that my reasons support it were mainly based around Blizzard making it an official channel.

I feel like you're trying to be mean to me because of our previous conversation about being logged into SC2 and testing maps at the same time...
Eh, I recently formed a habit to test document while logged-in, to know if there is anything going on on SC2Mapster channel (there are actually sometimes people in there (talking about EU one)), so from my perspective it would look like a nice gesture from blizz. And it would be cool if curious players who are tired of same constant map pool had someplace to go to play/test something new, given that they had a wish to do so. More options is not a bad thing, especially for such lovely thing as b-net 2.0

As Dogmai mentioned we have IRC, which will always be a superior choice due it not being region restricted, but I feel that some nice things might come out of this suggestion, if it was made true.

..or it would just stay completely empty, further reminding everyone of how segregated we are, trolling and hating on each other :|
I don't see why people feel the need to hate on this idea. While they do point out genuine limitations, there is obvious merit to its function as a centralized place to find people who are currently logged into the game and willing to help with testing. As an editor help chat it also may be more obvious to people just starting out than IRC hosted by Mapster or other communities, and for people having runtime trouble with maps they have published, it's a small step to show someone you meet in the arcade devel channel the symptoms of your problem directly. It's a nuisance detriment to this last positive that logging on in the editor to upload your map will log you out in the game client though.

I also do not hesitate to concede that it may, like so many newly uploaded maps, fail to get much attention and overall turn out to be unsuccessful. But it also may not, and if it does, what exactly have we (or Blizzard) lost? Yeah. I'm all for it.