in game movies are choppy and stuttery.

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
n game movies are choppy and stuttery.The in game movies in movies are very choppy or they stutter. The movies themselves play fine but the in movie movies are choppy. Like the UNN videos are choppy. Or the debrief movies that show in game graphoics, at the first of a level are choppy.Is this a bug? Is this something that can be fixed?
Daregh
Customer Service Representative
Greetings JP,What you are describing is usually caused by running the game at higher settings than your computer can handle or having out of date drivers. With that being said, I'm going to provide you with a link that will cover various video troubleshooting methods. However, I'd specifically make sure your video card drivers are up to date. From there I'd try running the game at the lowest settings possible just to see if that fixes the problem; if it does, then you can pretty much gaurantee that it's your computer hardware. Anywho, here is the link to those steps:http://us.battle.net/support/article/100609Please give them a try and if you still need assistance from us, don't hesitate to contact us!Regards,DareghSenior Game MasterBlizzard Entertainmentus.battle.net
11/12/2012 9:42 PM

JP Willardson
Hello,That article is for PC's however i went to the mac one and tried those options and no go.I tried turning down the video settings to medium and the videos ran fine. However this seems dumb since I pretty much have the top of the line mac hardware and I cant play the game with full settings. What Mac can play Starcraft 2 at top settings with no issues? Also when I play the game i easily have 60 FPS in the menus and in the game I sit at about 50FPS in heavy action parts. I have set the variables so that it cant go over 58 FPS.So while it does run fine with lower settings this does not seem conclusive since the rest of the game plays just fine at extreme settings.
11/12/2012 9:57 PM

JP Willardson
Also until a patch or 2 the game ran fine on ultra settings. No issues at all.
11/13/2012 8:40 PM

Vergukka
Good morning,Kit from Mac Support here and I hope that your week is going well so far. Luckily we were able get your ticket escalated to our team of Mac Techs who specialize in supporting our players that run our games on a their Macs.I did just check to make sure that the information that I have for you, matches the same information that we have in our Support Artical (step by step) under the troubleshooting section at http://us.battle.net/support/article/6256This article is a lot prettier than the wall of text that I would ahve for you. Try those steps, all 8 of them, and let me know if they help!If you need any further assistance, please feel free to reopen this ticket using the "I need more help" or "add a reply" the link at the bottom of the page.If everything looks good, you can go ahead and close the issue. Thank you again for your time, and take care! Regards,Kit GMac SupportCustomer ServicesBlizzard Entertainmenthttp://us.battle.net/support/en/
11/14/2012 1:38 PM

JP Willardson
Hello,This did not work. Still the same issue. I have notated the results of everything in the article below.Restart the MacNo goClose Background ApplicationsNone openOverheating PreventionDoesnt applySetting Graphics Performance (MacBook Pro) - does not applyReset the System Management Controller (SMC)No change in performanceRepair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk.No change in performanceReinstall Drivers (Combo Update)No change in performancePerform an Apple Hardware TestNo issues found.Please let me know if you need any logs or anything else I can try.
Greetings!Thank you for the information! Can you tell me exactly where you have the game installed to? Looking at the Apple System Profiler you sent, I can't actually see an installation of the game which most likely means you have it installed to a secondary drive. This type of installation is unsupported, and can very well cause a number of performance/permissions issues.The game needs to be installed into the Applications folder on the main OS drive to function properly. If this is not the case, please uninstall and reinstall the game entirely to the default location, and test it again from there!If you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this issue. If you would rather speak with a representative directly, please contact Account & Technical Services. Our contact information can be found at http://blizzard.com/support/article/cs.Regards,MeosianeMac Tech/Customer ServicesBlizzard Entertainmentwww.blizzard.com/support
11/17/2012 6:31 PM

JP Willardson
Hello,I have tried this on several different setups.Right now my setup is my OS and applications on my SSD and my user folder on a regular platter drive. This is an option with in OS X.I have also tried this with everything on a regular platter drive.As well as everything on my SSD. All have the same glitchy UNN videos and gameplay mission videos.
11/18/2012 7:59 AM

JP Willardson
its always in the main application folder in my OS. I have also tried this in 10.6 and its the same thing.
11/18/2012 8:00 AM

Meosiane
Greetings!Thank you for the clarification! I do now see the installation, and I do apologize for the misunderstanding. At this point, I also want to ensure that you're running the game from the following location:/Applications/StarCraft II/StarCraft II.appInstead of the location:/Volumes/Snowy/Applications/StarCraft II/StarCraft II.appWe need to make sure that it's running from the main OS drive, but I'm seeing both of these installations here.Additionally, we may need to clear out the StarCraft II temp files, as it may have something to do with old data.First, let's reset the permissions on your Starcraft II folder:1. Navigate within a finder window to the location of your Starcraft II folder.2. Select the Starcraft II folder3. Press Command + I 4. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.5. make sure you have Read & Write permissions 6. Click on the Burst icon (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed itemsNext, let's try clearing your Battle.net Cache.1. Navigate to Mac HD/Users/Shared/Blizzard/2. Move the Battle.net folder to the trash.3. Empty the Trash.4. Launch Starcraft IIWhat this will do will delete all your downloaded maps and Cache. Now the maps will still show up in your recently played list, however, the green checkmark icon will now change to the download required icon. Let me know if this helps.There's really no point in testing the game in 10.6, as this is no longer a supported OS for the game. We do appreciate the effort of course, but it's not going to help much. :)Go ahead and test these steps, and let me know if it helps!If you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this issue. If you would rather speak with a representative directly, please contact Account & Technical Services. Our contact information can be found at http://blizzard.com/support/article/cs.Regards,MeosianeMac Tech/Customer ServicesBlizzard Entertainmentwww.blizzard.com/support

JP Willardson
Tried all of the above. No go.Still choppy on the mission prep movies and the UNN movies.I tried this on another mac pro with the 5770 and its doing the same thing.Both machines use to be able to play these movies on ultimate settings with no issues.Also on a side note according to this blizzard article it says the minimum requirements for wings of liberty is still 10.6https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirementsPlease let me know if youd like me to try anything else.
Meosiane
Customer Service Representative
Greetings!

Try this first and see if this helps in anyway.

Repairing StarCraft II:

1. Navigate to /Applications/StarCraft II/Battle.net
2. Delete the Battle.net.MPQ file
3. Launch StarCraft II

This will force the game to see it is missing data and self repair. If you continue to have issues after this, you may want to look to the forums for further assistance, as it may be something that the developers need to look closer at. Posting this information on the forums will be seen by the community managers and developers, and they can launch more of an investigation using the information you provide!

If you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this issue. If you would rather speak with a representative directly, please contact Account & Technical Services. Our contact information can be found at http://blizzard.com/support/article/cs.

Regards,

Meosiane
Mac Tech/Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support
11/23/2012 1:35 PM
JP Willardson
Hello,
That fixes it. However it only fixes it for the first time entering the game. If I quit out and go right back in the issue returns.

Do I need to post this in the forums for the developers to see it? Or do you guys let them know?

Is there anything else youd like me to gather?
11/26/2012 5:33 PM
Meosiane
Customer Service Representative
Greetings!

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately that's not something that we've seen before, however after doing the repair, you may want to also repair your disk permissions from the previous instructions. The only thing I can think of would be some corrupt permissions stuck in the OS.

If that doesn't help, definitely post that to the forums for them to look into!

If you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this issue. If you would rather speak with a representative directly, please contact Account & Technical Services. Our contact information can be found at http://blizzard.com/support/article/cs.

Regards,

Meosiane
Mac Tech/Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support
11/26/2012 8:49 PM
JP Willardson
Hello,
I doubt its a problem with permissions as this happens on another computer as well and in a different OS on my computer.

Are you not able to forward this to the developers as well?
36 seconds ago
Please let me know if theres any ideas of whats going wrong or what can be done to resolve this.
I want to note that I have tried forcing the repair of permissions and removed every single copy of starcraft 2 from my hard drives and removed the cache for my main drive and reinstalled just one copy. As well as replaced my video card and this issue is still happening.
Hello, Macgoblin -

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing these performance issues. Unfortunately, this is not something we can address here in the Bug Report Forum. In an effort to continue dialogue on the issue, I've moved this thread to the Mac Technical Forum so that it can receive more comprehensive attention.
OK
I'm having the same stuttering issues with the mission briefing movie cutscenes on my early 2011 2.2 GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB and 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 of RAM running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. I am also using a 30" Apple Cinema display, but I keep the resolution fairly low at 1600x1000.

I have the default graphic settings which are mostly at ultra, although I tried knocking them down to high or medium, and I still get the stuttering. I made sure to also check my energy saver system preferences settings, and I do have graphics switching turned off. So it's not that. I tried repairing permissions, restarting, quitting all other applications, and everything else Macgoblin did, and the stuttering issue still persists.
@MacGoblin - What system specs are you running?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)

@Omek - I'll check this out and see what we can find.
Im having the same problem with new iMac running OSX 10.8.2
I am also experiencing this problem. Early 2011 MacBook Pro. 16GB RAM. DIY Fusion Drive. I've tried tweaking the graphics settings below the recommended and it doesn't really help. At recommended settings, everything ELSE looks and runs pretty smooth. Just the videos that play inside "screens" in the game (news casts and gameplay demos). It's not a huge deal right now since I'm just replaying WOL before HOTS comes out but it would be a bummer to play the new story w/ the same glitches. Any news on this being fixed or any other solutions?
Same problem here. Playing on a mac
Also stuttering, badly. OS X 10.7.5, MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB memory, Nvidia GeForce GT 330M with 512MB... trying to run it fullscreen full resolution with Movies=Low, the other settings are fine and the game plays well except for this.

Thanks
oh, here's my requested info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.57f17
Serial Number (system): [snip]
Hardware UUID: 96FAFF3E-420A-5B5F-8998-4542D1EA725B
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.22

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.22
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
H243H:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: LEW0C0044002
Main Display: Yes
Rotation: Supported

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
Boot Volume: RWCopius
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: [snip]
User Name: [snip]
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 26 days 7:22

Thanks... looking at that, I can try rebooting :) but not optimistic :(
Same problem. The campaign intro video plays great even fullscreen, but the first cutscene video stutters like mad.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir4,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA41.0077.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.73f66

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0116
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
DELL 2407WFP:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: CC30271N17DS
Main Display: Yes
Rotation: Supported

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 3 days 21:46
Upgraded to 10.8.3 -- same problem.
Same as everyone else, still no news?
Just like to add my name to the increasing roster. I have SC2 on a brand new top of the range iMac as well as a new macbook air. First time you play the in-game videos are absolutely fine, then they become choppy. Tried removing the preferences and that has a one-time positive effect then we go back to choppy videos.

Also tried every single quality setting but to no avail. At the mo I'm running quite happily on ultra settings with no drop in in-game performance, so I don't think this is where the problem lies.
Same issue, been like 6 months, anyone else have any update?