How do you defend a 1/1/1

Protoss Discussion
http://drop.sc/291903

I thought I scouted 2 rax pressure ~ early gas and no wall but it turned into an awkward timing vs me because I expected a late rax all in.

Is the only way to counter this just scouting? Because he can always snipe obs so its hard to scout what his composition is going to me.
Watched the replay; I don't think you could have scouted it any earlier, your obs arrived right when the push commenced. However seeing the early gas usually tips off some sort of aggressive play, and after seeing him bunker his ramp like that I would have personally thought something big was up.

I think the best thing you could have done differently in that game was abandon your natural and fight the all-in at the narrow ramp. It's important to keep the sentries alive too, you made them early and they had 6 FF's saved up.

But yeah, fight at the narrow choke and try to snipe the banshees, after that you can slowly pick off units till he has to abandon the push and go home.
The only problem is that if I abandon my natural we're on even footing and technically his all in isn't an all in and/or i'm doing an all in also, I think the only time I could have scouted earlier was the factory right as it was being made before marines but good observation thank you
Either way, you want to 1 gate fe (good versus the 1-1-1) or 2 gate robo fe (fast obs for scouting, still ok nexus timing) if you scout a gas build. 1 gate fe can hold the 2 rax and still gets a robo at a fast enough timing.

Also, poking with either a probe or also a zealot/stalker (be careful to pull back in case of concussive shells) can scout a potential expo or the 1-1-1 versus 2 rax. 2 Rax should hit before 7:00, if not, then the 1-1-1 defense should hold. 1-1-1 should have a bunker on his ramp. If you scout a bunker, then you know it's a 1-1-1 and not a 2 rax.

Don't sacrifice the natural. Instead, chronoboost immortals, and try to go up to 5 gates, 1 robo, and 2 assimilators. When he attacks, be heavy zealot with as many immortals as possible and a few sentries. Get as few stalkers as possible to defend the banshee harass. Use guardian shield and ff, and focus the immortals on the tanks. Then warp in stalkers to kill the banshees.
HOW DO YOU DEFEND A 1/1/1

Scout 1 base play, get a robo and go up to 4-5 gates. and stop at full saturation.
Either way, you want to 1 gate fe (good versus the 1-1-1) or 2 gate robo fe (fast obs for scouting, still ok nexus timing) if you scout a gas build. 1 gate fe can hold the 2 rax and still gets a robo at a fast enough timing.

Also, poking with either a probe or also a zealot/stalker (be careful to pull back in case of concussive shells) can scout a potential expo or the 1-1-1 versus 2 rax. 2 Rax should hit before 7:00, if not, then the 1-1-1 defense should hold. 1-1-1 should have a bunker on his ramp. If you scout a bunker, then you know it's a 1-1-1 and not a 2 rax.

Don't sacrifice the natural. Instead, chronoboost immortals, and try to go up to 5 gates, 1 robo, and 2 assimilators. When he attacks, be heavy zealot with as many immortals as possible and a few sentries. Get as few stalkers as possible to defend the banshee harass. Use guardian shield and ff, and focus the immortals on the tanks. Then warp in stalkers to kill the banshees.

Thanks, what if the *tanks* are mass hellion?
if the "tanks" are mass hellion... that's not a great 1-1-1. stalkers do quite decently against both marines and hellions, and immortals can clean up marauders easily. I feel like mass hellion isn't a competent version of the 1-1-1 because it takes too much away from the marine count.
1 Gate FE and then follow the advice above. You can't lose your natural or you will be behind and likely lose.
What Neo said on the money.

I have had success with a more gateway heavy build, with chargelots. Stalkers are bad, stay away from those, put your money and gas from stalkers into tech and other units which do more damage. Stalkers should only be used for banshees.

I have even successfully used a stargate in with the robo and gateways and got out 2 phoenix to deal with banshees, which worked but with luck.

I think the biggest trick to winning against 111 is the fast expand, and getting that ecomony to get a superior army. Equal bases, the terran wins easily.