Mechanics of Starcraft: Hellion

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
Yeah MoS seems to be outpacing AoS lately. *shrug* I can't tell the nooblets what to love!
01/06/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Ponera
Yeah MoS seems to be outpacing AoS lately. *shrug* I can't tell the nooblets what to love!
u mad bro?
nope, cause it's just more content for the channel :P
I commented on the ling video.
If I posted in the thread it would be pretty much the same words. Maybe a couple sentences longer.
I didn't want to be redundant.
I commented on the ling video.
If I posted in the thread it would be pretty much the same words. Maybe a couple sentences longer.
I didn't want to be redundant.
Ahem, this is the hellion thread.
01/06/2013 06:27 PMPosted by zappy
Ahem, this is the hellion thread.

I got about a dozen smart remarks :P
But I know.
I was just soothing his ego.
Watching it right now. I thought it was an excellent episode.
The reason my the preigniter is blue, is because the flame is much hotter. The more intense the heat of the flame, the closer it comes to blue, skipping the rest of the color gradients.

Also, why the medivacs can heal battle hellions, could it be because when they transform, you can see chinks in their armor such as the elbow/shoulder areas (joints in general) and thus allowing the heal beam to reach the driver inside.
01/06/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Kuma
The reason my the preigniter is blue, is because the flame is much hotter. The more intense the heat of the flame, the closer it comes to blue, skipping the rest of the color gradients.
I know that clean burning common flames such as natural gas, as you get really really efficient, mixing air and fuel in the exact quantities, will turn blue. But, it does NOT "skip" the other wavelengths, it just emits more higher wavelength photons making the overall color average out to a higher wavelength.

01/06/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Kuma
Also, why the medivacs can heal battle hellions, could it be because when they transform, you can see chinks in their armor such as the elbow/shoulder areas (joints in general) and thus allowing the heal beam to reach the driver inside.
I'm not sure about this, i intend to yell at/mock ponera as he tries to explain this when we do a battle hellion episode after HotS comes out. Don't warn him.
01/06/2013 07:16 PMPosted by zappy
I know that clean burning common flames such as natural gas, as you get really really efficient, mixing air and fuel in the exact quantities, will turn blue. But, it does NOT "skip" the other wavelengths, it just emits more higher wavelength photons making the overall color average out to a higher wavelength.

I'm not sure about this, i intend to yell at/mock ponera as he tries to explain this when we do a battle hellion episode after HotS comes out.
Well, it's labeled as a "scalpel laser", so perhaps the transformation allows the beam to not reach the driver, but instead the electronics and such that are revealed between movable panels? I imagine that the laser could be used for precise welding in mechanical joints and such if the power was turned up from its usual use as a scalpel.
For the person talking about how copper turns flames green it is not the flame turning green but the flame causing the copper to emit green light. This comes from the electrons in the copper being excited by the energy from the flame and then releasing that energy in the form of light. Other elements have different colors. For example Strontium is deep red. However, this method of coloring flames would not apply to hellions because the full stream of fire would not turn that color. Only where the metal was would it do so. Also, I don't know of an element that turns it that shade of blue.
01/06/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Owlfeathers
Well, it's labeled as a "scalpel laser", so perhaps the transformation allows the beam to not reach the driver, but instead the electronics and such that are revealed between movable panels? I imagine that the laser could be used for precise welding in mechanical joints and such if the power was turned up from its usual use as a scalpel.
Hmmm, off the top of my head, i don't think a scalpel laser would have enough power to cut/weld armor, but i'm not any expert on medical equipment.
01/06/2013 07:22 PMPosted by XtcEngland
Only where the metal was would it do so.
Could you not evenly distribute the new metal in such a fashion where by it appears that the whole flame is blue?

01/06/2013 07:22 PMPosted by XtcEngland
Also, I don't know of an element that turns it that shade of blue.
I know incredibly clean burning methane flames can be pretty close to that color, but i can't think of a metal off hand that does that.
01/06/2013 07:23 PMPosted by zappy
Hmmm, off the top of my head, i don't think a scalpel laser would have enough power to cut/weld armor, but i'm not any expert on medical equipment.
Power settings perhaps? I'm thinking that it doesn't have enough power to gut through full armor plating to do welding on normal mechanical units, but for things with exposed joints below the plating like Battle Hellions and SCVs (if you look at the art for them, it's not just a suit; the pilot is only contained in the cockpit) the power can be turned high enough to do welding on these more fragile parts.
01/06/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Owlfeathers
Power settings perhaps? I'm thinking that it doesn't have enough power to gut through full armor plating to do welding on normal mechanical units, but for things with exposed joints below the plating like Battle Hellions and SCVs (if you look at the art for them, it's not just a suit; the pilot is only contained in the cockpit) the power can be turned high enough to do welding on these more fragile parts.
Perhaps, but that represents a reasonable increase in power needs from WoL where they only healed infantry. Perhaps they were outfitted with more efficient engines since WoL, that could account for the booster upgrade as well.
Perhaps, but that represents a reasonable increase in power needs from WoL where they only healed infantry. Perhaps they were outfitted with more efficient engines since WoL, that could account for the booster upgrade as well.
Perhaps they simply don't use all their potential power output when healing biological units, but have always had the capability to increase the power of the laser. It's just not necessary when healing infantry units, as a higher powered laser would harm the soldier. This might also explain why Medivacs are unable to move while healing things; they are diverting some of the power from their engines to the laser.
Perhaps they simply don't use all their potential power output when healing biological units, but have always had the capability to increase the power of the laser. It's just not necessary when healing infantry units, as a higher powered laser would harm the soldier. This might also explain why Medivacs are unable to move while healing things; they are diverting some of the power from their engines to the laser.
Well, i think that this would have to be a powerplant upgrade during the transition to HotS, as putting heavier equipment than necessary would just make the medivacs unnecessarily expensive.
Well, i think that this would have to be a powerplant upgrade during the transition to HotS, as putting heavier equipment than necessary would just make the medivacs unnecessarily expensive.
Possibly. They do now have the option to use their "Emergency Thrusters" after all, which might support that.
For you next MoS episode you should do protoss shields. that sounds like some thing cool to watch.