Basic explanation of vipers in HOTS

Zerg Discussion
Ive recently began playing SC2 and now have the basic understanding of how the units work as well as counters in WOL. However, with HOTS coming out soon im trying to expand my knowledge on the new units and changes to ensure im not completely decimated when I first make the switch to HOTS. So far I do not understand all of the uses for the Viper. Would anyone care to give me a brief explanation of the uses of the viper? Also does it have an attack or is it another caster like the infestor?
The Viper is a pure caster unit with no attack, like the infestor.

It has three abilities, firstly, there is Consume. Consume drains energy off of friendly structures to restore energy to the Viper. There is no energy cost for this. Next there is Abduct. Abduct costs 75 energy and pulls target unit within range to the location of the Viper (it can't be used on air units, but can be used on colossi). Its uses include sniping colossi, thors, and tanks. Finally the Viper has an amazing ability called Blinding Cloud. This costs 100 and creates a space where ranged attacks have their range reduced to 1. This basically hard counters mech because a few well placed clouds can nulllify most, if not all, of a mech army.
The Viper is essentially an anti-siege unit. It greatly helps Zerg end games against Protoss and Terran, or at least dictate an engagement. Any unit composition can be greatly aided by a Viper or two, and I strongly recommend learning to use the unit.
01/13/2013 10:18 PMPosted by RabbitHazard
The Viper is essentially an anti-siege unit. It greatly helps Zerg end games against Protoss and Terran, or at least dictate an engagement. Any unit composition can be greatly aided by a Viper or two, and I strongly recommend learning to use the unit.

What this guy said.
I think abduct works on air units too (unless was recently changed). IMO, the cloud is small (cloudlet)
Consume drains HEALTH off of friendly structures to restore energy to the Viper

(it CAN be used on air units, AND can be used on colossi

Fixed these for you
The Viper is a pure caster unit with no attack, like the infestor.

It has three abilities, firstly, there is Consume. Consume drains energy off of friendly structures to restore energy to the Viper. There is no energy cost for this. Next there is Abduct. Abduct costs 75 energy and pulls target unit within range to the location of the Viper (it can't be used on air units, but can be used on colossi). Its uses include sniping colossi, thors, and tanks. Finally the Viper has an amazing ability called Blinding Cloud. This costs 100 and creates a space where ranged attacks have their range reduced to 1. This basically hard counters mech because a few well placed clouds can nulllify most, if not all, of a mech army.

wow, thanks for this explanation, i've been playing hots for a while and I just haven't figured out how to use the new units much at all yet.

I can definately see a few situation i've had myself in where a viper would have completely changed the outcome of the game.

Been having trouble against a lot of mech and Stalker/Collossi armies, I think a few vipers would've turned the tides a bit for me.
Blinding cloud works rediculously well against siege tanks.
It reduced thier range to 1, but they have a minimun attack range of either 2 or 3 when deployed, basically they cannot attack at all. Including undeploy, reposition, and redeploy, one cast of blinding coud can make a whole group of siege tanks completely useless for at least 10 seconds, by which time the battle is usually already over.
Basically, if the enemy composition has any anti-air, the Viper is a 200 gas donation for the trade-off of one semi-powerful spellcast.

Since it's Hive tech, you're expected to have something like 5-base gas in order to support constant production of the Viper, because it's nigh impossible to retain them.
01/17/2013 08:37 PMPosted by TropicalBob
Since it's Hive tech, you're expected to have something like 5-base gas in order to support constant production of the Viper, because it's nigh impossible to retain them.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Vipers drop like flies, but you can make corruptors just for the sake of gathering aggro and eating pain. You lose corruptors rather quickly, but you end up saving your vipers for the most part. Especially with vipers having consume, every penny you put into prolonging their life will pay for itself.