HotS Music

General Discussion

BTW...if you get Hans Zimmer to do the soundtrack to Legacy Of The Void I will name my first born child Tychus or Kerrigan in you honor <3 <3 <3

But I prefer the team of Neal Acree, Russell Brower, Derek Duke, Jason Hayes, and Glenn Stafford!

GLENN STAFFORD DO IT HE MADE THE MOST LEGENDARY TRACKSET OF ALL TIME!!! THE WARCRAFT 2 TRACKSET!!! AND THEN GAVE THEM OUT FOR FREE!!!!

But I prefer the team of Neal Acree, Russell Brower, Derek Duke, Jason Hayes, and Glenn Stafford!

GLENN STAFFORD DO IT HE MADE THE MOST LEGENDARY TRACKSET OF ALL TIME!!! THE WARCRAFT 2 TRACKSET!!! AND THEN GAVE THEM OUT FOR FREE!!!!

Dude's my hero. No lie.
SUPER happy to see Glen will be involved.
I hope the Zerg and Protoss soundtracks get buffed in HOTS because the current Terran soundtrack is OP.
I really wish I could upvote Blue posts.

Anyway, this is pretty cool. I look forward to March!
I feel out of touch. ??????
protoss new music confirmed wobble bass

BTW...if you get Hans Zimmer to do the soundtrack to Legacy Of The Void I will name my first born child Tychus or Kerrigan in you honor <3 <3 <3

Oh no doubt, I didn't mean get "rid" of the others on the soundtrack either by all accounts...I actually like the music as it is. It suits the multiplayer well (just wish there was more) but I don't know, the campaign I think could see some REALLY different music, to set it apart more (more of an experience all together) from the multiplayer. I am a personal fan of Hans Zimmer's many works, but I do not think he could distinguish between the races like the current ones do (for say mutliplayer).

For the campaign though, during the cinematics or intro I would just like to hear his take on sc2 WITH the sc2 team (don't want anyone going off on a tangent).

Oh just remembered, can you guys ring up Jack Wall? I don't think anyone working on game music would cry if he was on their team xD and I just want my favorite soundtrack + favorite game to make many, many beautiful things together :D Think about the protoss theme as it is right now...and then something like this piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKBuOusKfbY

:D Don't they sound similar already ?? :D
01/16/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Metabomb
Wow! David Torn!? That's really impressive guys! Any chance we might hear some early demos (other than what is already available?)

I wish we could, but you're just going to have to wait until March 12.

Glenn Stafford told me about some of the sessions he did with Derek Duke, and the experimental stuff was very interesting. They used various exotic and vintage MIDI controllers (continuum keyboard, drum controllers, wind/breath controllers, etc.) driving modular/outboard synthesizers ,and other virtual instruments. They also custom-designed many of their own sounds and samples within virtual instrument environments, and some tracks feature heavy/distorted sounds, which can be achieved in different ways, using synthesizers, guitars, distortion, bit-crunching, shifting and dithering, and otherwise heavy processing to make it really loud and fat.

I get the impression that electric guitar was something we hadn't experimented with much for the Zerg previously, so having David Torn contribute on several tracks (and he wasn't the only guitarist recorded) was a real treat.
01/16/2013 03:12 PMPosted by Kaivax
Glenn Stafford told me about some of the sessions he did with Derek Duke, and the experimental stuff was very interesting. They used various exotic and vintage MIDI controllers (continuum keyboard, drum controllers, wind/breath controllers, etc.) driving modular/outboard synthesizers ,and other virtual instruments. They also custom-designed many of their own sounds and samples within virtual instrument environments, and some tracks feature heavy/distorted sounds, which can be achieved in different ways, using synthesizers, guitars, distortion, bit-crunching, shifting and dithering, and otherwise heavy processing to make it really loud and fat.

Hey cool :D

You know, the making of the music behind sc2 would be something really cool to release so we can all watch it being done :D

+

You should post more Kaivax :'(

and he wasn't the only guitarist recorded

Who else? Isn't fair to just call out ONE of them :D Now we get to know them all :D
This is really exciting stuff. For those of you unfamiliar with David Torn, I highly recommend checking out some of his stuff on Youtube. A real innovator in the music world.

And please give Glenn Stafford our regards. Loved his work since War2.
Hoping the new music is good. Oh, and feel free to just put back in all the music from Starcraft and Brood War, which is some of the best in any video game, period. Something aside from the redneck sounding SCII music of the Terran would be nice.....
Make the old BW music as part of achievements to unlock as getting portraits or other things gives me incentives. Just an idea and nothing wrong with more music choices.
Wow! David Torn!? That's really impressive guys! Any chance we might hear some early demos (other than what is already available?)

I wish we could, but you're just going to have to wait until March 12.

I get the impression that electric guitar was something we hadn't experimented with much for the Zerg previously, so having David Torn contribute on several tracks (and he wasn't the only guitarist recorded) was a real treat.

Sounds cool, can't wait :)
Can we expect anything like Brood War's 'Radio Free Zerg' track? :)
this is the best hots news ever
I was rather disappointed in WOL's less than stellar sound track here's to hoping HOTS is more inspiring.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT you can do that? dude please inform me on more if you dont mind. :D
Hans Zimmer and his platoon of ghost writers have composed enough.
Neal Acree, Russel, and Jason are INCREDIBLE composers.
Yes, Heart of the Swarm does indeed have a lot of new music, and beta has a limited number of the new tracks.

As you might imagine, this time around, the new music is focused on the Zerg and the Heart of the Swarm campaign. In Heart of the Swarm, we have almost completely new music across the entire single player campaign -- way more new music than any of our previous RTS expansions.

There are also plenty of new tracks in multiplayer, which is going to make the overall experience more diverse and varied. The cinematics feature all new tracks, recorded with a large, live orchestra, and much of the music features additional electronic and experimental instrumentation.

Here's an awesome tidbit you may not have heard anywhere else yet: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Torn"]Legendary guitarist David Torn[/url] worked on the Heart of the Swarm soundtrack, adding burning leads and strange textures to the Zerg palette on several tracks.

This is awesome news. The soundtracks is one of the main reasons I go for the collector's editions and what little I've heard from the beta so far has me excited.