Interesting Idea with Nexus First

Protoss Discussion
The best thing about SC2 is you can mess around with builds and drop leagues but when you want to play for real, you can just rise back up and you are always with your skill level. I have dropped a few leagues but came back up with my own (Work in progress) NEXUS FIRST ALWAYS BUILD!!!!

Here is the gist which I open with every matchup.

9 pylon
16 nexus
16 forge (if expecting early pressure)
16 pylon
18 gateway (complete wall off)
--or--
16 pylon
17 forge

From here, cannon up and continue to chrono probes. With all the early extra minerals you will be able to build 5-6 cannons behind your buildings and in reach of at least 2 pylons at all time. Take double gas immediately after building Cyber-Core and chrono your WG as soon as possible while building 1-1 and expanding to 5-6 gates. If you can hold out until about 9:30. you have an almost unstoppable lead as you will be ahead economy wise of everything but a CC first.

From what I have learned, this will hold off most early pressure like 4 gate, zergling rush, reactor 6 roach rush and even 3 stalker pressure. robo bay or storm will be finished by the time any big standard pushes like 1-1-1, colossus pushes and blink+obz.

There are only 2 things to be worried about; double rax before 2nd supply depot (idk what this is called) and immortal drop play.

Any advice on how to hold these situations (besides cannons around the main, its not close to cost effective) would be cool. I have came up from low silver to mid-high gold doing ONLY this opening and it would be awesome to see this carry me back to platinum.
blind Nex first in pvp?

any sort of cheese play gg

Crono 2 zealots with standard play gg

4 gate gg

any kind of push gg

blind Nex first vs zerg?

any sort of early pool? gg
Things to worry about. (as in kill a nexus first outright)

Proxy 2-rax
Proxy marauders
2-rax pressure
3 rax all-in

6-pool (this actually isn't an uncommon pvz build)

4-gate warp prism
blink observer
well done 4-gate
If you're 6 pooled you have to pull all probes and than the Zerg can just dance around with his lings making you not mine.
Nexus First will lose against a Protoss player. The Protoss will either exploit your delayed tech by sending Warp Prisms to kill your Main or Double-expand since you will not be pressuring your opponent for at least 4 minutes.

Nexus First PvT requires 2Gates to be dropped immediately after.

Nexus First PvZ is viable as long as the Zerg does not 6Pool.
01/18/2013 03:12 PMPosted by Mephisto
reactor 6 roach rush

I'd hate to fight Terrans that have Roach/Medivac 0_o

Interesting build, though, I might try it some time.

Does it hold off Immortal, Void Ray, and/or Blink Stalker all-ins?

Proxy 2-rax
Proxy marauders
2-rax pressure
3 rax all-in

6-pool (this actually isn't an uncommon pvz build)

4-gate warp prism
blink observer
well done 4-gate

For terran, the only opening I have had trouble with is the 2 rax pressure. I havent seen proxy rax in a while.

As far as protoss, The Blink+Obz hits after your WG is done and with the superior economy just match the stalkers 2 to 1. Every four gate I have encountered with this build has hit before 6 mins and was held off by the mass of cannons at the front. 4-gate Warp prism is scary though.

Interesting build, though, I might try it some time.

Does it hold off Immortal, Void Ray, and/or Blink Stalker all-ins?

I have not encountered any Immortal all-ins but void ray critical mass hits LONG after you have a superior economic and military lead.
Nexus First will lose against a Protoss player. The Protoss will either exploit your delayed tech by sending Warp Prisms to kill your Main or Double-expand since you will not be pressuring your opponent for at least 4 minutes.

Nexus First PvT requires 2Gates to be dropped immediately after.

Nexus First PvZ is viable as long as the Zerg does not 6Pool.
This, and DT drops are especially devastating... Not to mention that after that, I can double expand and the other guy will have no way of preventing me from doing it = I hit with a midgame Zealot/Archon timing and 2-2 upgrades.

GG.

2-rax pressure

2 rax reactor tech lab doesnt beat nexus first.
Please do this if I ever play you. My scouting probe drops proxy pylons, I 4gate, you lose, I win.

Forge FE in PvP? Are you insane?
How do you stop a proxy pylon and quick DTs?

You have no hope of getting your detection going in time with your tech that delayed unless you're wasting money on cannons, which ruins the whole point of your early expand.

...for that matter, what stops a regular old 4 gate? You won't have the units to hold that off with a nexus first, and you can't keep the natural ramp forcefielded for long.

Proxy 2-rax
Proxy marauders
2-rax pressure
3 rax all-in

Last two can actually be held off with proper control from nexus first, even without the forge. With the forge it might work against the first two, but I'm not sure. Nexus first is a very viable strategy, and although I'm only platinum, it's worked for me 5/5 times, most of the time they respond with marine/scv allin. Hold that off and you've already won.
GG on dt drop? I am, in no way, promoting this build. However, if you were doing this build, uhhhhhhhhhh....ummmm.....drop a cannon to the side of your nexus, and another behind your mineral line on the other side. dt drop, no gg.

That being said, a well-executed all in gateway push, a 4-gate being a great example, should trash a large number of cannons and win.
01/19/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Mephisto
I have not encountered any Immortal all-ins but void ray critical mass hits LONG after you have a superior economic and military lead.

I'm speaking more of timing pushes -- 3-gate stargate, or even 2-gate 2-star. What's stopping the opponent from charging into your main with Void Rays or charging up on your wall before engaging your Cannons? How many Stalkers can you have by the time a 4-void rush arrives with 2-gate Zealot support or a 3-void rush arrives with general 3-gateway support?
Nexus first FFE is only really "viable" in PvZ on a larger map.

Nexus first FFE will just lose to any sort of drop in PvP and PvT.

Nexus first will also usually just lose to any push at all in PvP.
Imo this is an auto win to a protoss if you do that build.the protoss simply has to represent a push so you over commit to cannon then he double expand and then theres nothing you can do against that its GG you are so far behind. the opponent simply has to react properly . I think PvP the only way it can works is if the opponent overcommit in a bad push and then you take economical advantage which i highly doubt. Or like people above said they just double expand and you cant even put pressure so GG ;)
blind Nex first in pvp?

any sort of cheese play gg

Crono 2 zealots with standard play gg

4 gate gg

any kind of push gg

blind Nex first vs zerg?

any sort of early pool? gg
Forgot the common 7-Roach Push but usually reserved for Terrans going Hellions first.
Obviously the OP is a troll, because such a tactic is folly or he is really in bronze league and has no idea what he's doing.

2-rax pressure

2 rax reactor tech lab doesnt beat nexus first.

Last time someone tried a Nexus first against me I just did a 5 rax gasless on 1 base and killed them with marines at 6 minutes. 2 stalkers cannot hold up against that many marines.
The best thing about SC2 is you can mess around with builds and drop leagues but when you want to play for real, you can just rise back up and you are always with your skill level. I have dropped a few leagues but came back up with my own (Work in progress) NEXUS FIRST ALWAYS BUILD!!!!

Here is the gist which I open with every matchup.

9 pylon
16 nexus
16 forge (if expecting early pressure)
16 pylon
--or--
16 pylon
17 forge

From here, cannon up and continue to chrono probes. With all the early extra minerals you will be able to build 5-6 cannons behind your buildings and in reach of at least 2 pylons at all time. Take double gas immediately after building Cyber-Core and chrono your WG as soon as possible while building 1-1 and expanding to 5-6 gates. If you can hold out until about 9:30. you have an almost unstoppable lead as you will be ahead economy wise of everything but a CC first.

From what I have learned, this will hold off most early pressure like 4 gate, zergling rush, reactor 6 roach rush and even 3 stalker pressure. robo bay or storm will be finished by the time any big standard pushes like 1-1-1, colossus pushes and blink+obz.

There are only 2 things to be worried about; double rax before 2nd supply depot (idk what this is called) and immortal drop play.

Any advice on how to hold these situations (besides cannons around the main, its not close to cost effective) would be cool. I have came up from low silver to mid-high gold doing ONLY this opening and it would be awesome to see this carry me back to platinum.

Warp prism 4gate will tear you apart bro. Forge expanding or nexus first in PvP is never going to work.