SEA / AUS / NZ / Japan Connection Issues

Technical Support
Prev 1 5 6 7 9 Next
Thanks Spazbog!

I worry about the state of blizzard these days, the solution was so simple yet all they could come up with was something irrelevant.

It's great that there's an alternate temporary workaround... but think of it clearly for a sec. Blizzard would never be able to suggest editing your Windows file like that. They're not the creator of Windows and so they would never suggest to have you change a core windows file even if they know it can possibly workaround the issue. Changing Windows fire can have unforeseen consequences and they are not about to go around suggesting something for a product that they didn't make or directly support. That's like a car mechanic telling you how to fix your home plumbing.

The issue lies with the ISP connecting to the wrong place which is outside of Blizzard's control. Changing the DNS is a temporary workaround that does not require you to tinker with your windows core file.
Just for the record, I experienced this problem with a new account I'd created to off-race on, but was still perfectly able to log onto NA with my old account.

While changing your settings to use Google DNS seems to fix the problem, it is not something you want to keep doing for the long term, as it has some seriously detrimental effects on other services.

For example, it can seriously slow down downloads from iTunes because their edge services rely on DNS tricks to make sure the content is served from the nearest server to you.

http://joemaller.com/2577/itunes-slowdowns-with-google-dns/
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#cdn

C
To fix just this one IP address you can just add an entry to the hosts file instead of screwing with DNS settings (usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to do so open the hosts file with wordpad or notepad and add the following line (you may need to run wordpad as an administrator to save the hosts file)12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net

Works great, just need to remove this line once the ISPs updated their DNS cache with the correct IP.
spazbog you legend. thanks for the fix.

Shame blizzard isn't as clever as you :-)
ns look up
Tracing route to 12.129.202.154 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms D-Link.DSL2740B [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 18 ms 19 ms 18 ms 202.7.173.17
4 19 ms 20 ms 18 ms syd-sot-ken-crt2-ge-6-0-0.tpgi.com.au [202.7.171.105]
5 210 ms 215 ms 215 ms Vlan516.icore1.SQN-SanJose.as6453.net [66.198.97.33]
6 228 ms 219 ms 218 ms 192.205.37.65
7 222 ms 222 ms 239 ms cr1.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.86.198]
8 220 ms 219 ms 219 ms cr1.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.3.122]
9 218 ms 219 ms 217 ms gar20.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.128.181]
10 219 ms 219 ms 217 ms 12-122-254-234.attens.net [12.122.254.234]
11 219 ms 220 ms 223 ms 206.16.68.54
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
This worked straight away, thank you so much
Thank you this fixed it for me!
These 'solutions' dont work for me (and it appears many others)

Any word on fixing a game I payed for (with the collectors edition) 2 years ago that is now broken that I cannot play anymore?

this is getting a bit rediculous
Thanks Spazbog!

I worry about the state of blizzard these days, the solution was so simple yet all they could come up with was something irrelevant.

It's great that there's an alternate temporary workaround... but think of it clearly for a sec. Blizzard would never be able to suggest editing your Windows file like that. They're not the creator of Windows and so they would never suggest to have you change a core windows file even if they know it can possibly workaround the issue. Changing Windows fire can have unforeseen consequences and they are not about to go around suggesting something for a product that they didn't make or directly support. That's like a car mechanic telling you how to fix your home plumbing.

The issue lies with the ISP connecting to the wrong place which is outside of Blizzard's control. Changing the DNS is a temporary workaround that does not require you to tinker with your windows core file.

Changing DNS does not work for many users, including myself.

Also they ask you to mess around in cmd.exe and I fail to see how how thats much different from editing the host file.

Also where did you get all this stuff from are you some sort of blizzard insider or did you just pull it out of your... well.. it would be impolite to say.
01/30/2013 08:54 AMPosted by KhronusLight
but think of it clearly for a sec. Blizzard would never be able to suggest editing your Windows file like that. They're not the creator of Windows and so they would never suggest to have you change a core windows file

For starters it is not a core Windows file, Windows can function just fine without it though I wouldn't delete it just for the hell of it.

I think it is more irresponsible pushing the system wide DNS changes than to edit a plain text file - the only difference is the system wide DNS changes can be done with a nice GUI interface while the other is editing a text file. The text file is much safer in my opinion as it only deals with individual domain names so to screw anything up you need to pull a legit domain name out of the air that you don't want to change and change it purposefully where as if you enter the system DNS settings wrong you can break your internet completely.

As stated before the google’s DNS ends up greatly degrading the performance of the rest of your internet activities because it resides on the other side of the planet.

Both the google DNS and hosts file fixes should be considered temporary but at least the hosts fix only deals with the domain name affected and not the whole system.

01/30/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Carlfish
Just for the record, I experienced this problem with a new account I'd created to off-race on, but was still perfectly able to log onto NA with my old account.

This is because the old account has most of the data cached - if you deleted the old accounts cache you would see the same problems.

Deleting the cache and reinstalling makes the problem worse to the point where nothing works but the campaign (if you can get the login to work by using a SEA client to cause some login thing to be cached otherwise you won’t even be able to login).
Spazbog, you are a genius. Why do Blizzard hire a bunch of useless tech support staff when they clearly should have just hired you.

Changing my DNS manually to Google's doesn't even work but adding that entry fixed everything.
TYVM spazbog this fixed everything! I hope Blizzard sees this info and patches it automatically for SEA people.
It appears that us.depot.battle.net is resolving to IP address 68.232.45.253 when it should be resolving to 12.120.152.128. To fix just this one IP address you can just add an entry to the hosts file instead of screwing with DNS settings (usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to do so open the hosts file with wordpad or notepad and add the following line (you may need to run wordpad as an administrator to save the hosts file)

12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net

Why the great minds at Blizz want you to change your DNS completely instead of just the one broken IP address I don't know.

The erroneous name resolution to 68.232.45.253 has been corrected. Please let us know if you can connect normally to StarCraft II, and can see and join all multiplayer options.

If you set your connection to use the Google Public DNS servers, try setting it back to:
Obtain DNS server address automatically
If you added an entry to your Hosts file, you can delete it, or comment it out:
# 12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net
We apologize for the difficulties. Thank you all for posting all of the information we've asked for, and we appreciate all of the support and help from the community.
It looks like this problem has nothing to do with DNS (although changing DNS will resolve the problem) and more to do with 68.232.45.253 being misconfigured. It is configured as a depot server, but it doesn't seem to recognize the hostname us.depot.battle.net. I had Bluspacecow give that IP some other hostnames to see what it might actually be configured for, but none of the names I could think of worked. Anyway, this is a job for NetOps at this point. If I knew someone there I'd let them know this myself, but unfortunately my previous contact no longer works there.

How to test if you are affected by this issue:

If the below link says anything but "00 Test successful.", you're connecting to the misconfigured server and need to either change your dns or add a line to your hosts file:
http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt
ok so now it says, there was a problem downloading this content....im getting a little annoyed with these bugs
the game will queue for a 2v2 and 4v4 but not a 1v1 3v3 or ffa.

seriously...

how has this not been resolved yet?
CLIENTSIDECACHE_READ_FILE_NOT_LOCAL

i always get this message! please fix this in the next update!
still not working for me, nothing visable on the quickmatch tab at all for the NA server.
Yep, same problem here. Waiting for real fix, been without SC2 for just about one month now. (In Japan)

Works perfectly over a us vpn though.