Wall with DT's?

Protoss Discussion
Post Limit:
I was thinking, would it be possible to block off your ramp with a row of DTs holding position? I remember in SC BroodWar there was plenty of game modes using units as walls.. and was wondering if this is possible in SC2? Never have the time in game to test it personally.
Sure, it's possible, but if they have detection they'll get through anyway.
This is one of the ways to get all the achievements on "In Utter Darkness" in campaign.

Wall of DTs at the top of the ramp with swarms of air units to snipe the overseers before the DTs can get spotted.
This is actually a good way to hold a 4-gate when doing a dt expand. I believe it's also done sometimes in pvz, but that makes for an expensive wall.
01/23/2013 04:40 PMPosted by wraithcube
This is actually a good way to hold a 4-gate when doing a dt expand. I believe it's also done sometimes in pvz, but that makes for an expensive wall.

You'll never get 4 DTs in time to hold a 4gate. In fact, you won't even have your first DT out if someone executes a good 4gate.
2 zealots are capable of blocking out units on your ramp, i think 2 DTs spread out well would be able to block units (vs 4g).

vs terran it's pointless because scans
01/23/2013 04:40 PMPosted by wraithcube
This is actually a good way to hold a 4-gate when doing a dt expand.

Sure if the 4 gate hits at 8 minutes lol.
in bronze
Wow so much hate.

DT expand builds get sentries. You can forcefield the ramp until DTs are out and then use them to block the ramp.

Why do you assume I'd go straight for dts without sentries to buy time?

Edit: 2 dts is enough to block the ramp btw.
01/23/2013 08:59 PMPosted by Phalanx

bs. Like they gonna expect dt coming. prob used all that energy on $$
Wow so much hate.

DT expand builds get sentries. You can forcefield the ramp until DTs are out and then use them to block the ramp.

If you survived a 4 gate and kept him out of your base long enough to finish a dark shrine, you obviously don't need dts to defend. Especially since you could just send a dt or 2 to his base and just go kill him when you ff your ramp forever.

No competent player has ever done what you suggested. Backpedal all you want, what you said was dumb.
If you survived a 4 gate and kept him out of your base long enough to finish a dark shrine, you obviously don't need dts to defend. Especially since you could just send a dt or 2 to his base and just go kill him when you ff your ramp forever.

No competent player has ever done what you suggested. Backpedal all you want, what you said was dumb.

Just cause it's dumb and unnecessary doesn't mean you can't do it while killing them :D
True.
01/24/2013 02:01 PMPosted by ACIDCYCLONE

ever heard of scouting?

ever heard of scouting?

ever heard of hiding your tech? I 3 gate expand into high templars w/ storm and have that all good and ready for their 10 minute push. And they never see it coming until they attack, I slaughter their force and I GG it at 14 minutes.
01/24/2013 10:45 PMPosted by DOxPhalanx

ever heard of scouting?

They can scout it and still be screwed if you space out your DTs and make sure to snipe the guy building the missile turret first. Most terrans aren't going to have more than 1 or 2 scans saved up unless they're wrecking their economy.
Wow so much hate.

I don't even....
Wow so much hate.

This.

I use DT expands a LOT ion both WOL and HOTS, and I can attest to this. If you miss FFs you die. If not, you basically have a 1 up advantage and can choose to either kill the player with a 2 base zealot/archon (from DT) all-in timing, or you can play standard into Colossi, and basically win because you have faster tech, faster economy, better upgrades and a bigger army.

DT expands are a little riskier in WOL because it costs 100 more gas for the Dark Shrine, but if you play it out well, it is pretty strong even against Robo builds.

DT expands are BOSS in HOTS :D, especially now that detection is BACK on the Oracle ^_^
01/24/2013 03:38 PMPosted by TechNo
To be fair, you implied DTs were out as late as 8 minutes, which is pretty late.
Yes it's possible. It's more likely that in a real game a you would be using 1 dt to block a choke but if you needed to you could do a row of them.