Shields vs Armor?

Protoss Discussion
I've been watching a lot of replays lately and I find it really interesting to see when pros decide to get their defensive upgrades and which ones they get.

So my question: when do I get my defense upgrades( not in the sense of game time but in what unit composition you are facing), which one do I get, (shields or armor) and WHY?

Having some proof with the math of unit match ups and build orders would be nice.

And example of my question would be that I know some pros get +1 armor before weapons vs Terran to make better zealot meat tanks, but why not shields?
Zealots already have 1 base armor, and they have much more HP than SP. If you make sure to keep guardian shield over your zealots, they take a ton of marine hits to die.

Plus, terrans usually get EMP eventually once your archons and templar start coming out, and armor is cheaper anyway.
The general rule is go armor unless you're planning on making a lot of archons or air (which at least lets the air take advantage of the same upgrade). Shields are otherwise the last upgrade you'd make.
Thanks for the replies!

So basically, if your going for units with high armor, go for armor upgrades and if you're going or units with high shields, go for shield upgrades? Also, do the units your opponent chooses effect which defense upgrade you choose?
01/25/2013 08:17 AMPosted by Penguin
So basically, if your going for units with high armor, go for armor upgrades and if you're going or units with high shields, go for shield upgrades? Also, do the units your opponent chooses effect which defense upgrade you choose?

In essence. Except keep in mind that natural armor stacks with armor upgrades and not shields, that most units have more HP than shields, that stalkers are one of the few units you'd allow to take shield damage and not HP damage... and they have natural armor.
So it's a hard sell to prioritize shields over armor in a ground-based build (and in an air-based build, you probably only have 1 forge, and it's kicking out attack upgrades for most of the game).

In general, it doesn't matter what you're up against, except that if you're fighting ghosts, you *really* want to prioritze armor because the shields are getting EMPed.
If you're going Archons, Air, heavy-Immortal, are excellent in taking only shield damage, or trollishly filling the map with Cannons, go Shields. Otherwise, Armor.
Ghosts do amazing against shields, btw, but if I remember right it takes more than 1 EMP to make Archons into lightning-shooting paper targets.