Changes to the warhound to allow mech play

Terran Discussion
02/11/2013 02:47 PMPosted by TerranicII
There is no other gap for a unit to fill

Damn didn't you hear this guy Blizzard? No gap for new units to fill. !@#$ Heart of the Swarm and Law of the void new multiplayer units for terran, there is no need for them :(

Let me re-explain my unit AGAIN. It's MECH, so any AoE will be less useful than on clumped marines. It has big range, for ground AND for air. Meant to be behind your troops, on engages if any units melee your thors or gets too close for you to use mortar (most effective and main weapon, with a soft splash which could affect your own units depending on intended uses), 1you are supposed to have a few hellions/hellbats 2you pull back this unit and use their main weapon. In case of run-by by some hellions or zerglings or surprise roach unburrow or anything they still have a short range attack and won't be totally useless. And the air attack was because thors alone don't deal well with things like carriers or void ray because of their sizes, they get kitted, thus the big range with the air weapon as well. I heard terrans complain about viking uselessness on ground, this could fix it by making your army still a bit less defended than with vikings, but with more ground strength.

Getting this unit also means less of anything else in a mech composition. Thors and tanks are costly already.

I can't help but *squeee* when imagining this unit on the battlefield. Sure it probably won't ever exist it doesn't mean it has no potential. If anyone that likes to add new units with editor wants to try making this one I'd like to try it :)
Once again, between the widow mine, siege tank, thor, hellbat, hellion, ghosts from the barracks (used to deal with Immortals/Archons), and Vikings (for additional anti-air support), mech has no gaps to fill. None. There is not a single unit design you could add that would a necessary role that is not also filled or intended to be filled by another mech unit or by a Viking/Ghost.

Stuffing in extra units because they look cool is not good game design. Stuffing in extra units because you think that they include a cool mechanic is not good game design. If a unit does not have its own purpose in combat, then it can only replace another unit or be ignored because it is inferior to that other unit. Mech has no gap for your suggestion to fill.

I don't expect each race to get two units in Legacy of the Void. One would be hard pressed to find remaining niches to fill.
02/12/2013 09:20 AMPosted by TerranicII
I don't expect each race to get two units in Legacy of the Void. One would be hard pressed to find remaining niches to fill.

I believe Blizz went so far as to say that if they add new units in LotV, they would take out some of the others. I can't imagine having gaps big enough to warrant another set of new units, but the pros innovate like none other, so I guess we'll see.

Who needs the warhound when we have the bossbat!
02/12/2013 09:20 AMPosted by TerranicII

Unless they plan on adding a new play style you're correct.