Balance Suggestion for Fungal

General Discussion
So just fyi, yes I'm in silver league, but that's mostly because I don't have time to play as often as I used to. I used to be in gold. But either way, I'm aware I'm not a master of the game. I don't have enough practice to be that. However I consistently watch GSL and other pro tournaments so I feel like I've got a good grasp on what works and what doesn't. Just want to put that out there so please don't just invalidate my opinion based on my league standing.

Now that I've said that, I had an idea for fungal growth, that may never get anywhere and may be unfeasible, but I just wanted to throw it out there so see what other people thought. As a zerg player I hear all the time people complaining about how overpowered infestors are and how fungal is too powerful and I understand. Unlike psi storm, you can't run out of it, unlike seeker missiles you can't run away from it, or really even dodge it, and it negates the ability of other units to micro. Blizzard has tried some modifications for the heart of the swarm beta, toying with its range, making it a projectile so that it potentially can be dodged, but nothing significantly changed there from what I've seen.

Here's my suggestion: Change it so that fungal slows units instead of stopping them and have it work like storm does, in that it affects an area of the map and the effects don't linger if a unit moves outside the area. It would be a major revamp, I'm aware and they'd have to program in some new animations for it (I'm envisioning green fungus clouds in the AoE), so this probably isn't going to happen, but I honestly think this would address some of the balance issues that people have with Fungal. But this does a few things, first it makes it so that units can still be micro-ed to a degree. It makes it so that chain fungals are less of a possibility. It gives units a chance to escape. In some ways this de-powers fungal a fair bit, but then at the same time it gives fungal a couple of new uses. It creates a dangerous area on the map for a short time, so it can also be used pre-emptively, and can be used to zone out certain areas. It would change the dynamic of the way fungal is used while making it a little easier to deal with and not sacrificing the essence of what fungal is supposed to be. Thoughts?
Fungal has been changed in HotS. Projectile now. I have heard infestors have not been used much in HotS.
So.. What time is it now? Like the 50th time someone has suggested it?
02/03/2013 06:38 AMPosted by TechanMac
Blizzard has tried some modifications for the heart of the swarm beta, toying with its range, making it a projectile so that it potentially can be dodged, but nothing significantly changed there from what I've seen.

They've also gotten rid of its bonus damage vs armored, I'm pretty sure.

02/03/2013 07:59 AMPosted by VIPER
So.. What time is it now? Like the 50th time someone has suggested it?

Maybe more. Fungal has been nerfed quite heavily. Nerf it anymore, and we risk the Infestor becoming an outright Unbuffable.
Fungal has barely been nerfed at all. Nerf it any more and we risk the infestor becoming an outright balanced, better-designed unit.

FTFY

The infestor is still very strong--maybe too strong. What can't be denied, though, is that fungal growth makes the game boring and stale and that something has to be done about that. Making it into a projectile is a good first step, and making it a slow is another, especially against air units.

The infestor's stats can be tweaked at any time; what's most important is that its blatant design flaws be addressed, but, instead, they're being ignored.