coffee and sc2

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
02/09/2013 09:14 PMPosted by HeReTiC
i knew lds members cant drink alcohol or do drugs, didnt know if coffee is just something your not supposed to drink or if its the caffeine. i guess its the coffee. one of my college roomates grew up lds although he started breaking some rules in college. he was a pretty calm dude and didnt party but he started to drink a little and had a girlfriend or 2. super nice guy still a good friend of mine

It's the coffee. In addition to abstaining from alcohol and drugs, we abstain from coffee and tea, as well. Caffeine is fine--even the Prophet drinks caffeine.

Which prophet?
02/09/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Mallard

It's the coffee. In addition to abstaining from alcohol and drugs, we abstain from coffee and tea, as well. Caffeine is fine--even the Prophet drinks caffeine.

Which prophet?

The current one, Thomas S. Monson.
I drink Starbucks when I play StarCraft 2. ;P
I'm here to clear up a couple things HeReTiC is telling you guys.

The Prophet of the LDS church, Thomas S. Monson does not drink caffeine. lol

HeReTiC You contradict Yourself saying you don't drink coffee BECAUSE of the caffeine but still drink diet coke... lol

It is not against the LDS church to drink coffee nor is it against to drink coke. It is however STRONGLY discouraged to drink coffee and only discouraged to drink caffeine. The Mormon college, BYU, does not sale any caffeine on campus besides chocolate. js lol

I'm trying to think of more stuff you said that wasn't true... I'll edit this post when I read back through, if I get the energy to do so.

Also HeReTiC, if you want to live by the LDS rules, they STRONGLY discourage the use of computers as a leisure activity on the SABBATH. If you're going to be a good Mormon, do it right.

k thx bia, 6/10 troll. not bad

HeReTiC You contradict Yourself saying you don't drink coffee BECAUSE of the caffeine but still drink diet coke... lol

It is not against the LDS church to drink coffee nor is it against to drink coke. It is however STRONGLY discouraged to drink coffee and only discouraged to drink caffeine. The Mormon college, BYU, does not sale any caffeine on campus besides chocolate. js lol

I'm trying to think of more stuff you said that wasn't true... I'll edit this post when I read back through, if I get the energy to do so.

Also HeReTiC, if you want to live by the LDS rules, they STRONGLY discourage the use of computers as a leisure activity on the SABBATH. If you're going to be a good Mormon, do it right.

??? O_0 ???

I'm going to write this before he does, because I will be much nicer than he ever would. HeReTiC specifically said-
02/10/2013 07:37 AMPosted by HeReTiC
we abstain from coffee and tea, as well. Caffeine is fine

He never said he didn't drink Coke or Diet Coke because of the caffeine. Which perfectly lines up with you saying-
02/10/2013 08:09 AMPosted by SonicRainbow
It is however STRONGLY discouraged to drink coffee and only discouraged to drink caffeine.

So I say to you-
Everyone: please ignore everything SonicRainbow said. His post is saturated with lies and misinformation. There's one somewhat relevant point he made, though, so I'll address it and ignore the rest.

The Mormon college, BYU, does not sale any caffeine on campus besides chocolate.

It's true that caffeine isn't sold on BYU's campus, but that's a matter of demand and not doctrine. There simply aren't enough students who would purchase caffeinated drinks to justify selling them.

Here's BYU's Honor Code: https://honorcode.byu.edu/
And here's the LDS Word of Wisdom (that forbids tobacco, alcohol, coffee, tea, etc.): http://www.lds.org/topics/word-of-wisdom

As you can see, neither so much as mentions caffeine. It's true that caffeine is discouraged, but, as I've said before, you can drink caffeine and remain in good standing; there's no specific doctrine or revelation that bans it.
Watch out guys! HeReTiC's at it again. :P

Oh !@#$ nvm.
Has anyone experimented with a beverage backpack? You know the ones that hold about a liter of fluid with a straw you can route to your mouth or what not? I like to drink Mountain Dew Voltage and it only comes in cans and 2 liters. I was wondering how efficient it would be to use a beverage pack to drink and play simultaneously. Plus the caffeine and suger make me stay awake for hours on end, and I think it helps stimulate alternate build orders/unit compostions when I am buzzing from all of the sugar.
oh snap! religious war detected! >.> <.< >.>
Mother of God....

What have I wroght?!
Mother of God....

What have I wroght?!

REPENT! REPENT! REPENT!

lol joking sorry Myke.
Try adderall. It will make your coffee feel like nothing at all.
amphetamines must be looked at as performance enhancing drugs in SC2

not coffee in particular, and it shouldn't be, but actual amphetamines.

OP, the effects you are feeling are a mild version of the rush professional korean players are getting from the amphetamines they take to boost their performance. While it's not in the public's eye, and the ESF and other organizations haven't taken a stance on it yet, doping is a huge problem in esports for asia currently. Have you ever wondered why professional players often chew gum, bounce in their chairs, talk to themselves as they play or play with their mouth wide open? Amphetamines cause people that take them in high amounts to grind their teeth and it's unbelievably painful if you play games all day (speaking from personal experience with ADHD medication i was hyper sensitive too, that i took in my childhood). The community needs to get together and establish that we care more about the health of our players than the performances they give for us. It's an unfair trade and these kids in these situations are often too young to truly make the decision for themselves (Ty was like 14 when he started playing in the proleagues, whene veryone else around you is gaining an unfair advantage by doping, why shouldn't he? Unfortunately players can feel forced into doping based on the prevalence of it in their sport and due to the nature of our sport many of them are too young to make decisions like this.)
02/10/2013 10:07 AMPosted by Maleficent
Has anyone experimented with a beverage backpack? You know the ones that hold about a liter of fluid with a straw you can route to your mouth or what not? I like to drink Mountain Dew Voltage and it only comes in cans and 2 liters. I was wondering how efficient it would be to use a beverage pack to drink and play simultaneously. Plus the caffeine and suger make me stay awake for hours on end, and I think it helps stimulate alternate build orders/unit compostions when I am buzzing from all of the sugar.

i have a soda hat i have converted into a coffee hat, worth your time, lol

Any mention of religion != religious war

What's happening here is simply religious education, or an explanation of my beliefs. There's no argument over their truth or validity.
who the !@#$ cares this is starcraft 2, dont need to bring religion or coffee to play sc2, so dumb. I swear i lost a few brain cells reading this thread....
I have a high win to loss ratio because of coffee! Anyone feels this way? Now I can't play unless I have my cup of coffee next to me. I can't explain it but the uppidity feeling of coffee makes me play so much better in terms of making me want to expand faster, macro and micro better while keeping my fingers going and going because I can't stop this feeling!

It is as though I am playing in "Faster" and they are playing "Fast"!

I totally know what you mean. Coffee allows me to do so much and without it I'd either be a better person or a dead one. Meh, could be worse.

Any mention of religion != religious war

What's happening here is simply religious education, or an explanation of my beliefs. There's no argument over their truth or validity.

I know just jabbing is all. :P
Your win loss ratio is 50/50 unless you're masters. So perhaps its just making you enjoy the game more which is fantastic! Good for you bro! Love coffee myself.