Blizzard/battle.net view on privatisation/p2p

Editor Discussion
I was wondering if Blizzard/battle.net had any official standing on map makers making "private" maps, as defined by maps only able to be played by people on the "list"

I alwo wonder if this would lend itself to map makers aranging a pay to play scenario?

I was also wondering about map makers banning paying battle net customers from using "their" map.

This also opends the door to vigilanty type behavior. If a user has broken the TOS it is the right and responcibility of blizzard to confront a problem. or is it the right of the community to make a black list of players?
1. Selling your maps online is against ToS. 2. Charging people to do anything in your map will get it banned. If you want to make money go somewhere else... There is no marketplace, and hopefully there never will be.
It was very nice of you to reply. It was also good to recieve 1/2 the answer.
You clearly missed my underlying issue, but that is alright.

Even without collecting money, how does blizzard sit with a private list of players?

or map envoked bans?
Removing the idea of money in all way, I'm all for the private list of players. This opens to private testing phase where you could set players that subscribed into the test.

But on the other hand, new maps are far behind in the list and you can make private room to invite friends. At some point, private list would simply lower the popularity of your map. A player that test it and want to show it to his friends because its awesome, it would not be possible.

Sooo... 5/10, not sure if it would be that usefull.
Removing the Idea of money.
and still not getting a blizzard responce.
and still haveing to clairify further. I guess my english is not that good.

My worry is in regards to Map makers, Banning, black listing, or restricting use of Starcraft.

Having a "cool kids" table where everyone in the club has access to all the maps. where a larger and larger number of maps are not available to non members.

as well as the risk of map makers enforcing "terms of service"
you mod the bank file, ban?
you reset bank file ban?
you troll me? ban
you fail to refer to be as lord BAN
you win against me BAN

where does it end?

My question revolves arount the simple question does/should a map maker hame the ability to either BAN, or to make a selective list.

And I am telling you for a fact. they already do have this ability. To pick accounts to either have access or to not have access.
02/23/2013 03:39 PMPosted by North
And I am telling you for a fact. they already do have this ability. To pick accounts to either have access or to not have access.

Yes, they can.
But bans are created for a reason. No mapmaker would just blindly ban players without a reason.

My question revolves arount the simple question does/should a map maker hame the ability to either BAN, or to make a selective list.

It's an effective tool to prevent players from willingly destroying games. That's the reason why this feature is fine. Just the careless use of its banning capability is a real problem.

I personally only accept time based bans in maps. In addition to that playing attempts would show the banned person the reason and the approximate ban expiraton date (Note that bans can't be lifted automatically, this is only possible via map updates, so the actual date can variy). Also the map would be required to show that info in English language (and the map needs to take care that it won't display param/value/ warnings instead of the required information because of the author's localization mistakes).

you mod the bank file

Ban worthy, if the bank had protection.

you reset bank file

This is fine, you could just play on another computer which would have had the same effect.

you troll me?

Depends on how much you troll and how long and if it effects the gameplay of other players. Every player can mute/ignore other players. That's how you can deal with smaller issues.

you fail to refer to be as lord

fine

you win against me

fine

But this is only my opinion on this matter.

However, Blizzard's terms of service, updated on the 11th February 2013 is something you had to agree on, if you wanted to keep playing SC2.

So, that means that you most likely already signed the information, you are currently asking for. :D

B. The manner in which Modified Maps can be used or exploited is set forth in the Mod Acceptable Use Policy, the terms of which are incorporated into this Agreement by this reference, and which can be found at this link [...] us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/acceptable-use.html

us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/sc2eula.html
(quote altered to make it possible to follow post requirements)

The link provides you with the info that:

Custom Games should be playable by all users.
Custom Game developers may not develop Custom Games that include a mechanism that allows the developer to limit access to the Custom Game to certain users.

us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/acceptable-use.html