HotS thoughts

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 17 Next
Medivacs are ok, but I'd like to see one of 2 adjustments:

- Increased damage from static defenses when they're boosted
or
- Remove afterburner cooldown, tie it to energy

Right now there's too much upside. The first solution I proposed will make it more dangerous to speed in and quickly drop without scouting their defenses. The second solution will make it less viable to pick up and speed out since the medivac will likely expend energy on healing after it drops.
You guys are doing great! MLG was so fun to watch this weekend.

Also:

This would be a huge buff for Terran against Protoss as feedback would be considerably weaker. So please don't do this >.<
SC2 is an absolute gem among modern games. Fantastic work from the Starcraft team!

Yes +1/+1, cuz I like double upgrades!
Zerg is pretty lackluster early/midgame when it comes to consistent aggression. Mutalisks and lings are pretty much the only things they have, and both can be SHUT DOWN brutally when spotted.

What if Blizz merged the drops & overlord speed upgrades?
What if Blizz the merged roach speed and burrow upgrades?
What if Blizz increased the speed of corruptors, lowered their health, and gave them the ability to 'corrupt' enemy air units(attach to them and deal light AoE, and they can be targeted, but it also kills the unit it attaches to)?
What if Blizz decreased the cost of nydus worms if they are placed ON creep?

I'm with the overlord upgrade, zerg need more options to be aggressive if they want to keep up with the terran aggression. In MLG all we watched Zerg being forced to end games in less than 15 mins with lings ans banes to stop the imba drops, don't be blind blizz, just because it is fun to watch Terran drop all over place, doesn't mean it's balanced.
:) That’s all I was asking for. Medivacs could absolutely end up being OP. I won’t deny that they aren’t strong, they are, but let’s wait and see what happens.

MC did really well. Almost all the games were action packed from beginning to end. I think we are on the verge of SC2 being Epic.
Aye aye ^_^

Medivacs OP (jk).

Also:

This would be a huge buff for Terran against Protoss as feedback would be considerably weaker. So please don't do this >.<

If it's early aggression then it does not matter because the medivacs don't have enought energy to be 1-shot be a feedback anyway.

Idk, I didn't like what I saw at MLG. The speed boost seems too powerful. Getting T army between 3 bases (with a min. risk of getting shot down) is too easy. For Z it's not the worse thing to deal with, cause they go Mutas very often anyway, just like WoL.
03/18/2013 09:15 AMPosted by GroundZero
yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

No, it's forcing passive play, so your base doesn't get reamed out by Medivac drops when you push out.

Ya becasue life played passive ... He's talking aobut the tournament not how u play.
More aggression on both sides is a good thing for sure. As long as it can happen on both sides.

Good areas:

- It's still too early to tell, but it seems like maybe oracle openings TvP can be defended just fine if the Terran builds things other than marines... widow mines or turrets or bunkers.
- Widow mine rushes can be defended by both races OK so far.

Problem areas:

- Proxy reapers built on 8 supply vs Zerg could be a problem (on ladder, but I didn't see in MLG). Will zerg be forced to go pool then hatch? Is this fine?
- Boosted Medivacs on maps with too much air behind bases in the 10-12 minute range against Protoss. But if Oracle openings are more than a gimmick (not sure yet), then maybe things will change.
03/18/2013 09:15 AMPosted by GroundZero
yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

No, it's forcing passive play, so your base doesn't get reamed out by Medivac drops when you push out.

no, it's forcing players who don't have any idea what to do to turtle.

whereas players who know what to do will go toe to toe with medvacs. SKMC from the latest MLG, played more aggressive and countered Medvacs with oracle to phoenix opening.

just do what you guys do best, Dayvie, and balance carefully. awesome work with HotS!
Make Nydus Network require Hive, but reduce build time and increase HP of nydus worm, and fix it so you can cancel a constructing Nydus Worm (getting back a % of money).
Making worms useful is not the same as making them face smashingly good. A worm that can be built anywhere at any time, can instantly win the game, and if it goes wrong you get most of the money back... is a little bit bogus.

IMO, Nydus would work much better if the worm required creep. The no-creep bonus would have worked better in Broodwar, where it was impossible to spread creep without spending tons of money on colonies or hatcheries. But that doesn't really apply any more. Overlords can fly anywhere, they get speed at hatch tech, and they generate creep at lair tech. A few Ovies can build a worm anywhere on the map.

All of the defense issues against Nydus Worms are solved if Overlords need to be deployed first. Then you can get side buffs like more HP, easier deployment, etc. etc.
As a longtime blizzard fan, I'm really glad that my favorite game seems to be in safe hands.

Also:

If it's early aggression then it does not matter because the medivacs don't have enought energy to be 1-shot be a feedback anyway.

Idk, I didn't like what I saw at MLG. The speed boost seems too powerful. Getting T army between 3 bases (with a min. risk of getting shot down) is too easy. For Z it's not the worse thing to deal with, cause they go Mutas very often anyway, just like WoL.

and why cant u make phoenix's? o becasue that would stop your progression to ultimate deathball thats why.
well micro'd phonenix's woulda changed the outcome of almost all those protoss games dramatically.
MLG has been the most varied and interesting, not to mention AMAZING tournament I have watched so far, keep the balance going in this direction and you will eventually have a worthy successor to BW :)
03/18/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Bobucles
Make Nydus Network require Hive, but reduce build time and increase HP of nydus worm, and fix it so you can cancel a constructing Nydus Worm (getting back a % of money).
Making worms useful is not the same as making them face smashingly good. A worm that can be built anywhere at any time, can instantly win the game, and if it goes wrong you get most of the money back... is a little bit bogus.

IMO, Nydus would work much better if the worm required creep. The no-creep bonus would have worked better in Broodwar, where it was impossible to spread creep without spending tons of money on colonies or hatcheries. But that doesn't really apply any more. Overlords can fly anywhere, they get speed at hatch tech, and they generate creep at lair tech. A few Ovies can build a worm anywhere on the map.

All of the defense issues against Nydus Worms are solved if Overlords need to be deployed first. Then you can get side buffs like more HP, easier deployment, etc. etc.

reasonable points, and a good suggestion
I must say that Life's abducts on Flash's medivacs gave me malevolent giggles :)
Hey don't forget about single player stuff too; ie. Kerrigan Level 70 bug, and adding a secret level (pwetty please)
It's looking really great to me.

I do think that Medivac aggression has room for a smidge of a nerf. I've seen a lot of drops get partially countered but the Medivacs get out with very little health. I also recall seeing Medivacs get rather silly in one game that just extended so long. Thus I'm kind of hoping Medivac boosters gain some small added cost. I'm thinking a 10 health cost would very strongly curb late game no-economy sillyness while adding just a little more risk elsewhere. In contrast I feel that an energy cost wouldn't affect that no-economy situation while being very punitive in early/mid game drops.
[quote="81960451739"][quote]
Ya becasue life played passive ... He's talking about the tournament not how u play.

Yes, this!