Screen FREEZES.

Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
same issue, screen blacks out. but i can hear everything. Started happening after the new Battle.net application was installed.
Been having the same issue for months.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2380P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
8192MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Display Memory: 4043 MB
1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Please help! For some reason it always seems to happen on the second game I play, and doesn't mater what race I'm playing.
Same thing here, screen freeze and after few seconds it crashes with technically an "directx/opengl" issue but everything is up to date. I could alt+tab and come back during a freeze and it temporaly fixed it (next game it did it again) and often if I alt+tab when it freeze i can't get back in and crash still. I feel like the Launcher application is a great idea but still ALOT of improvement and fixes. I too, think it comes from the lastest or recent update of the application.

If there is anyway to launch the game without passing by the launcher (to keep it close) that would probably be helpfull, I guess.

Edit: Just rename the battle.net folder so sc2 doesn't know where to start the launcher xD (Let's see if it still happends)
Having this issue as well - very frustrating.
WIN 8 here, my computer and all the drivers are working fine. It's on Blizzards end. Either they're working on it and don't care to respond, or they just don't care and don't respond... hmmm. irritating when i love the game so much. please fix this.
Playing on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8.1, core i5 and gt 740m:

I get frequent screen freezes while the sound (and game) continue to play in the background. I have not yet been able to unfreeze the screen once. Whenever I alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del out and then bring the game up again, the screen turns black, yet the sound still plays. The only thing I can do is end SC2 in task manager, then reboot the game. Usually when I do this, the battle.net launcher stays on "Initializing" and will not display the orange "Play" button. Then, the only way for me to play is to restart my PC.

Oddly enough, when playing on my old crappy desktop with integrated AMD processor and video card, I have never once gotten this problem. I play on both computers equally as often, and it only happens on the laptop.

I suspect it has something to do with the launcher and nVidia cards.
So far the game did not crash starting it manually from the sc2 folder (not the launcher). To prevent the launcher from starting I changed its folder name so its like if it was not installed at all. Played all day, all fine.

I'm really curious to know if it "fix" it for anyone else.
Things to do/check

• Update Drivers + Software (DirectX)

• Check CPU/GPU Temps (Clean dust, proper ventilation)

• OC Checking - Lower OC, Disable, run torture tests for stability

• Close All other programs when playing (No java Running applications)

• Run Unit Preloader - check temps

Solution so far:

• Ctrl + Alt + Del restores the game (open task manager)

• Run without App - direct path
ctrl alt delete does not restore it for me. it makes the whole screen go black.
What is Blizzard doing about this constant problem!
I have been having this issue for about a month now and am getting tired of having to leave games because I cannot see what is going on. I wish Blizzard would fix this issue
05/01/2014 03:36 PMPosted by Zifff
I have been having this issue for about a month now and am getting tired of having to leave games because I cannot see what is going on. I wish Blizzard would fix this issue

Alt tab out and alt tab in, if that doesn't work then cntrl+alt+delete then hit cancel then go back to sc2. (This is on windows 7 though.)
I've personally had this problem for over a year but I know why it messes up for me at least, If I have a java application running it freezes the game so I make sure to disable all Java related processes and it never happens again.
2 almost 3 months go by since a Rep has responded and people are still getting this bug, as am I. I kinda agree somewhat with the dude that ranted about Activision, although not to the extent, Blizzard will always put out good games, just lately they have been buggy as hell.
05/05/2014 10:33 PMPosted by Draj
2 almost 3 months go by since a Rep has responded and people are still getting this bug, as am I. I kinda agree somewhat with the dude that ranted about Activision, although not to the extent, Blizzard will always put out good games, just lately they have been buggy as hell.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8156255589?page=2#22
You should keep an eye on this thread since it is in the bug report forum and the QA people are the ones to fix this not the tech support people.
Pressing CONTROL ALT DEL and then stopping any java based process has stopped it completely for me
Just started getting this issue.

Game locks up at random times, cant do anything. Cant even CTRL ALT DEL to turn off the process. Is there a way to see what java applications I have running? I cant see any obvious ones and want to test the theory. Really frustrating. Updating everything etc etc
Update,

Now crashing when playing hearthstone too, starts with the game, then bnet app then spreads all over the computer. Dont know whats going on.
Having the same problem with Nvidia GTX760.

Screen freezes, but I can still hear sounds, give commands to units, use menus etc.
Gotta restart the game to continue playing.

This happens ONLY when playing Starcraft 2.

This is totally random, sometimes I can play a week without screen freeze, sometimes it freezes like every 15 minutes...
Been having the same issue for the past couple of months now. It doesn't always do it, but every now and then the screen freezes up and I can hear everything going on in the game. It happens within 10 seconds of the game starting.

To fix; I have to Alt+Tab then Ctrl+Alt+Delete and run Task Manager then click back into the StarCraft 2 screen.

Display: Windowed Fullscreen
GPU: GTX 680
RAM: 16G
CPU: i7 3770k (No Overclocking)
HDD: 7200 SATA