Calling All Writers

Joeyray's Bar
04/11/2013 08:11 PMPosted by SilverWolf
Assuming God does exist the bible was only meant too be a guide not in which too live your life revolved around.

Actually, the Bible says to be more Christ-like and it also teaches you how to do that, so therefore, the Bible actually is a way of life for Christians to live their lives around.

Most don't, though.

And the first thing we are taught is too love each other and thus we should go around saying who can't and can marry just cause of something written by man.

... Your logic is flawed because the Bible teaches that two guys getting married is a "Sin."
The Spartan had felt little pain as the Psi-charged round tore through his shoulder, decimating the tendons and end of his collarbone. He had already gained adrenaline from the recent fight between the last Ghost who had engaged him. She had been reckless and unwise to have come and engaged him in open combat. She had however, placed a knife blow across his chest.

He sat behind a boulder, his heart beating fast and hard. The Ghost's accuracy was unbelievable, if the Spartan had stuck out a single body part, it would be taken clean off. Well not clean, as blood can be a very messy business. The Spartan sat there, and heard the familiar hum of his shields recharge. With haste he came around and fired his Battle Rifle his last location known for the Ghost, and no shot was returned. He cautiously moved forward, and then he heard another hum, unlike his shields, it sounded more, raw. He turned around and the Ghost was behind him, and the Ghost's mask was up, showing the crazy and demented grin underneath. As the Ghost plunged his purple burning psyblade into the heart of the Spartan, the last two months of the Spartan's life pass through their minds. It was one of flight, as the Dominion disliked Earth's attempts at sending this super soldier for a recon mission. That was it all.

"Kind of wanted to not start making a big long memory sequence. Anyways, smylez's story is random and all around, moronic.

"Thane, the Bible was written by a man. And the bible is more of a guide of how to have a good life, rather than something that dictates what you do."
04/11/2013 08:12 PMPosted by ShadowFury
Remember that it was made in a different time, where the speech was different. The part about being gay is a sin could mean something completely different.

yikes! You guys need to work on your anti-bible arguments :\

They spoke a different language, Greek and Aramaic. So... Unless your making the extremely foolish argument that it was translated differently, there is nothing here.

04/11/2013 08:12 PMPosted by ShadowFury
Jesus is supposedly loving of all, if gays are considered bad, that means that Jesus does not hold a love for all.

Jesus is supposedly loving of all. Gays are also considered bad. Jesus supposedly loves them anyways, but doesn't approve of their actions.

That's like saying you don't love your children because they disobeyed you.

It is the same with blacks. Either the pope said they were lesser, or somewhere in the bible it did, but that means that Jesus would not hold a love for all if blacks were seen as lesser people and to be slaves.

LOL

That was the Pope. The pope is COMPLETELY different from Christianity. The pope IS NOT a christian.

Jesus was probably black, since he grew up in the middle east.
Thane, the Bible was written by a man. And the bible is more of a guide of how to have a good life, rather than something that dictates what you do.

Actually, SF, the Bible is a collection of 66 historical documents written by 40 different people over the span of centuries.

When the Bible says, "Do this" and "Do that" it's not a guide anymore, it's something that Dictates Christian life.
Thought it was Egypt????

My story :P
A bunch of of fighting Zerg, Protoss and Terran were transported to the Haloverse. The Zerg started to OMNOMNOMNOM on all the Covenant, Flood, UNSC, Protoss, and Terran. The UNSC freak the !@#$ out and attack to Brotoss cause they think they are like the Covenant. The Terrans have started to fight all the other races except the UNSC which they have teamed up with. The Covenant are attacking everyone. The Flood are getting hyper owned by the Zerg and Brotoss.
Thought it was Egypt????

Like I said, it is actually a collection of 66 books written by 40 different authors. So some of it took place in Egypt, much of it took place in Israel. Most of it took place in modern day Turkey, actually.

LOL, nice story btw.
"Firstly, the Pope is christian. The Pope is the prophet of God in Catholicism. You see, that is why it was such a devastating effect when the Popes acted corruptly. Secondly, the middle-east isn't black, especially not the Jewish. They do have a darker skin tone, so I would see it as Arabian/Caucasian wold be more accurate. Thirdly, remember the Catholic Church likely heavily edited the bible during the middle-ages to retain their power, as they would feed the peasants some lies to keep them from turning from Catholicism. And also, double-meanings in English. English phrases would definitely have double-meanings. Even when translated from Greek/Latin/Arabic extremely well, it would still have double meanings, as the way they wrote back then, is far different than the way we write today. I am a Christian, but it does not mean I am a big Christian. I do believe in God and Jesus being his son and ascending to the heavens, but it does not mean I follow the religious practices that much. My friend is the same."
04/11/2013 08:27 PMPosted by ShadowFury
Firstly, the Pope is christian.

This is simply false. The Pope is Catholic.

The Pope is the prophet of God in Catholicism.

Catholicism is NOT Christianity. They have several FUNDAMENTAL differences, although they are similar in many ways.

Secondly, the middle-east isn't black, especially not the Jewish. They do have a darker skin tone, so I would see it as Arabian/Caucasian wold be more accurate.

Lol, whatever. I'm not going to argue what skin tone Jesus had xD

Thirdly, remember the Catholic Church likely heavily edited the bible during the middle-ages to retain their power, as they would feed the peasants some lies to keep them from turning from Catholicism.

Cite your source? You can't just "Edit" the Bible because there are thousands of manuscripts. When you make a new Bible translation, you go back to the original manuscripts. Sorry man, but it's a logical flaw.

Have you ever heard of the Dead sea scrolls?

And also, double-meanings in English. English phrases would definitely have double-meanings. Even when translated from Greek/Latin/Arabic extremely well, it would still have double meanings, as the way they wrote back then, is far different than the way we write today.

True, but the historians and translators most definitely took this into account when they translated the Bible. It's not rocket science.
I am a Christian, but it does not mean I am a big Christian.

Mhmm, so you're a Christian who doesn't actually believe the Bible?

I do believe in God and Jesus being his son and ascending to the heavens, but it does not mean I follow the religious practices that much.

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

-Jesus

My friend is the same."

Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”

- 1 Corinthians 15:33
"Catholicism is Christianity, and so is Protestantism. They are two fruits of the same tree. Christianity is the belief of God and the followings of Jesus Christ, so, the Pope is Catholic, and Catholic is Christian. Secondly, it is a good chance that they didn't, even in those ancient dead languages there were double meanings and complex wordings, and they would have done that. Also, the collective Bible was likely changed by the Catholic church to be in their favor, and today we would copy what they had before. Otherwise the bible would not be complex. I am Christian, but it does not mean I would blindly follow the bible. And just because Jesus reportedly said such a thing, does not mean we must practice all that he says, if it were so we would have very few tolerant people. I did not corrupt her, and she did not corrupt me. We are simply of the same thoughts when it comes to religious faith, do not be blinded by it."
Anyone wishing to bring up the Bible as an argument against gay marriage?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx5bowrdIv1qhs0jto2_500.jpg
There you go.
Now before anyone here tells me that such a 'sin' should be unacceptable? Tell every Catholic in the world, right now, that everything on that list is a 'sin' and should be treated as such.

EDIT:
The wording was changed. :I
What was than and what is now and what was before have changed. If the country was based on a person's freedom of choice and in religion than what the bible and religion say shouldn't be the guide in which we do things.
"All Catholics are Christian. All Protestants are Christian. Catholicism is the original Christian group, but Protestantism changed that."
Technically, the Christians themselves were the original christian group, it wasn't catholic until the Roman Empire.
Though, the question must be brought up why is there a Religious debate within the confines of a Halo/Starcraft thread?

Might as well go into a little history:
After Jesus died, did his thing, the Disciples were basically chilling in Jerusalem, doing their thing and being pretty chill about life.

Then persecutions started, lead by Saul.
Long Story Short he has a vision of Jesus, changes his name to Paul, and goes pretty much everywhere founding churches and Christian groups all over the Roman Empire.

Up until Emperor Constantine, they were not considered Catholic, and even until Theodosius was it made the official religion of the empire.
"I don't know what happened. This is a very Joeyrays manner, though. Change a thread from it's original purpose. Also, I suppose so, but Christianity changed into those groups."
Indeed, once corruption seeped into the Catholic church, people started to think for themselves, and began to split apart, and formulate new and 'heretical' beliefs.

This starts a religious conflict that overrules basically every part of Europe until it discovers there's land just ripe for the taking across the ocean blue. I myself like the part where Britain and France have completely opposite religious views for a while, and punish the other's views within their own countries, sending former enemies out of their country and into the other one.
04/11/2013 08:39 PMPosted by ShadowFury
Catholicism is Christianity, and so is Protestantism.

Dude, seriously? Please, please, learn your facts. They might have stemmed from the same place, sure, but they are not the same.

Catholics believe you can pray to Mary and they also believe other crazy whaco things that Christians simply don't.

04/11/2013 08:39 PMPosted by ShadowFury
Secondly, it is a good chance that they didn't, even in those ancient dead languages there were double meanings and complex wordings, and they would have done that. Also, the collective Bible was likely changed by the Catholic church to be in their favor, and today we would copy what they had before. Otherwise the bible would not be complex.

I hate to be rude, but this is simply impossible.

The argument you're making is called the "Overzealous monk" argument. It simply makes no sense.

There are 6,000 manuscripts or portions of manuscripts of JUST THE NEW TESTAMENT. The Bible is written in two different languages. The Pope and his little minions would have to go to over three different nations, Europe, Africa and Asia, (Since that's where it was written) steal over 6,000 New testament manuscripts, learn how to lie in Greek, change them all and get them back where you stole them from.

AFTER THAT, they have to learn how to lie in Syriac Coptic and Latin to change all the translations and get all those back to where you stole them from without getting caught and not showing your inkwork.

Oh, and by the way, you have to live 300 years to get this done because parts of the Bible WERE STILL BEING WRITTEN.
One thing always seems too lead too another lol. We should make a thread just for this type of debate with someone too moderate it so it doesn't get completely out of hand.
Anyone wishing to bring up the Bible as an argument against gay marriage?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx5bowrdIv1qhs0jto2_500.jpg
There you go.
Now before anyone here tells me that such a 'sin' should be unacceptable? Tell every Catholic in the world, right now, that everything on that list is a 'sin' and should be treated as such.

EDIT:
The wording was changed. :I

Lol, you're silly. Those are old testament commands that Jesus relieved them of.