Tips?

Zerg Discussion
I am switching over to zerg from toss, any things i should make if i see a certain unit? Builds i can look up on gosubuilds.com and i have camera hotkeys down for injects.
Basically all that I have to say is just, SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT! As a former protoss player you should know what counters what in PvZ, as for ZvZ and ZvT you will probably always have banelings to deal with zerglings and marines they can deal with hellions but require ambush positions.

Don't use roaches against a bio terran unless you have zerglings or hydras to prevent overkill and don't get stuck on Tier 2 units. T3 is where your siege breakers are, this can give you your killing blow to a turtling player or absorb damage from the opposing army.

Roaches are you best friend against early protoss but start thinking about hydras if you see immortals. Check for a stargate if you see one avoid using your money on anything but queens and spores until you can get out mutas, hydras, or corruptors (corruptors in the case of mass phoenix)

There is a ton more to learn but it's best to experience that for yourself. Get into the game and see what works for you.
ZvT
    reaper openings into light hellion harass typically turn into biomine play
    if you see tons of hellions they'll be transformed into hellbats backed w/ marine marauder most likely

my answer to both is fast b/ling ultra on 3-4 bases (ling upgrades asap which give you fast 53 ultras and adrenal glands / chitinous plating at hive)

(mech = SH viper roflcopterfest)

ZvZ
    always pool first (some of our brethren hate this MU and will 6/10 pool you)

b/ling wars + roach / hydra (typically)
    around 7 mins is the earliest they can have mutas (like super retarded fast)
    expect them (if they make them) between 10-12 mins
    2 spores stops the early handful and you can add more if he seems to be committing to them.

I like b/ling hydra ultra

ZvZ micro tips
  • You can use 2 banes to kill a cluster of his banes
  • If you make roaches, use those to snipe his banes / tank their shots
  • If you only have lings, and he has ling/bane you can send 1-2 lings into his banes at a time to detonate them for the least cost to you
  • in the early game, use your lings to defend against his lings - spines can't counter attack and die to a ling surround fairly quickly

ZvP
    you know toss builds i assume
    against gate - first expansions I like to hit with ling hydra around 8 mins (8-9 hydras and mass lings, upgrades should be melee / carapace prioritizing carapace)
    against macro oriented P I just gobble up expos, tech to SH / hydra and reenforce w/ Ultra hydra (some corruptors / vipers are optional - situationally)
I know standard ffe which i may go for a bling ling bust to scare the !@#$ out of him then if i have the gas left i could go muta on his probes and get some corruptors if he goes colossi phoenix but i am in silver

And zvz does any one ever use roach burrow micro because i could do fast burrow research to micro them better or are weak just pulled back.

Zvt i just looked up builds and i found none so i looked at a random wol build like 15 hatch and i decided hey might as well.
06/15/2013 11:10 AMPosted by ZergyMonster
Basically all that I have to say is just, SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT!

This as well - No matter what your strategy is, you need to have (even just a few) units parked outside his base to see if they're attacking or if you're safe

As protoss you could macro and build up your army slowly, with zerg you need to drone hard when you're safe, and produce units like kerrigan when you are attacking.
This is both our greatest weakness and our greatest strength. GL HF

I know standard ffe which i may go for a bling ling bust to scare the !@#$ out of him then if i have the gas left i could go muta on his probes and get some corruptors if he goes colossi phoenix but i am in silver

against FFE you're probably better off grabbing a third asap to transition into muta play than a b/ling bust.
Ok then thanks everyone for telling me this, i will look back on it if i need reminders
Biggest tip I can give is exploit Zerg's assets and play how Blizz intended Zerg to be played, very aggressievly. Too many zerg players fall into this trap of "drone hard until 8:00 scout a lot and react to what your opponent is doing." I say--don't be afraid to put on a lot of early pressure. No race should be face expanding vs you when you're zerg.. you have the tools to get speedlings out fast and punish greedy play.. you can prevent CC from landing, you can tourment toss fast expand builds etc.

Run By's are key. Don't feed your lings to a few photon cannons / marines / bunker, etc.. run right past his defense and go into the mineral line. That's what makes speedlings powerful.

During early pressure THAT'S when you drone up hard. Macro BEHIND your attacks.

Not only does this style give you an early lead, it helps you establish a dominant map control. It's safe to "drone up hard" while they are dealing with your aggression.

The other BIG tip I can give to Zerg players, and this one is HUGE.. is mechanics. You HAVE to hit all of your larave injects. You HAVE to avoid supply blocks.

This I feel is my own personal weakness and the only thing keeping me out of plat.

If you miss injects and get supply blocked, you can easily start losing a game you have no business losing. The tell-tale signs are dying with over 1k minerals in your resource pool, dying with a lot of gas etc.

missing injects probably is the #1 cause of Zerg losses..

As Zerg you SHOULD re-max lost forces faster than Terran or Protoss, but problem is if you don't hit all your injects then you WON'T. You won't have enough larvae to work with and dying with excess resources never feels good.

i've lost so many games that I was doing excellent and WAY ahead because I focused too much on battle-micro and missed several rounds of injects and oh btw yeah got supply blocked too at critical moments.

Supply blocks hurt zerg worse than either of the other races. As a zerg getting supply blocked at any time during the first 11 mins or so of play is VERY crippling.
Just make zerglings and get your upgrades asap.
Oh also I didn't mention this but it goes with the "mechanics" part of things... spread that creep. Depending on the matchup and what you scout, you should have a few extra queens floating to help with early defense and spread that creep.

proper creep spread is such an asset for Zerg. You can have your side of the map nice and creeped up by the time you transition into the mid game.. this is like a legit "map hack" basically, gives you vision over everything.. troop movement, incoming drops, etc. Vision is SO nice to have and creep is like auto-vision.

NEVER stop spreading it.
this may sound silly but spend all your money! queens are an awesome mineral dump. it is ok to delay your gasses. if you go early gas for ling speed that's ok, but take the drones off after 100 gas. zvz is the exception to this. don't get supply blocked. going back to the spend your money thing, expand everywhere. take over the map like a virus.
Coming over from toss?

Scout. That's your biggest transition. Map awareness/intel on enemy at all times. If you go for more than, say, 5 in-game minutes without knowing exactly what your opponent is doing, type GG because you've already lost.
As said above multiple times, reading your opponent is super beneficial, and can save your !@# in games. As for another tip, I recommend getting use to Injecting larvae every 50 seconds, aswell as Creep spread. GLGL on ladder!
I hate the idea of reading opponent and reacting to it. You're Zerg. They should be reacting to you. Stay on early offense all game every game.
I hate the idea of reading opponent and reacting to it. You're Zerg. They should be reacting to you. Stay on early offense all game every game.

If you can make that style work, more power to ya. I've never had any luck with it, for me Zerg has to be played reactionary.