ZVT - Brace yourself T one day I'll beat you!

Zerg Discussion
Post Limit:
Hi Zerg community.
First of all, sorry for my English (2nd language). Ok so like so many of us, ZVT make me rage every single time. At the beguining, I've tried to work a ling/bling/muta or ling/bling/Ultra and It was Ok.

Than I saw a master Zerg who is always playing Hydra/Roach againt T and win. Guest what, I always lost with Roach/Hydra. It's not a question of drop because I'm able to contain it. I just don't understand how to engage I guess.

Than with all the amazing result I've got with Roach/hydra, I've decided to return to ling/bling whatever. So what I would like learn is timing. Maybe if I understand Terran better I will be able to find something to fit my style of play.

If that thread could help all Z who struggle in that match up. I'm not looking for cheap excuse about the balance because I don't care. If player would want to be better, It could be a good idea to stop questionning the balance.

If REKATAN saw this thread, could you take time to explain me the basic of ZVT. I really like your style of play and watching you streaming was really helpfull so far.

So if you're a Zerg player Higher than Plat, fell free to help me in my quest to quick Terran !@#.

I love that game and 40% win rate againt T isn't enought for me!

Swarm is coming
Basis of ZvT is this.

-Creep spread: This is needed.
-Injects: Hit them.
-Unit comp: Ling/bling/infestor/ultra
-What to do: Get a fast 2 base, 3 base at 6:00, saturated, and a macro hatch. Then, keeping up with upgrades, get as many lings/blings as possible, and say alive, while denying the T bases. Keep them at 3 or less. and just wait until ultras.
-Defense: 2-3 spores at each base. 1-2 spines at each. Try not to lose much from drops.
-Endgame: You shouldn't be scared. Once you have maxxed out army with Ultras and ling/bling, with maxxed upgrades, move out. Basically nothing can kill upgraded ultras.
Basis of ZvT is this.

-What to do: Get a fast 2 base, 3 base at 6:00, saturated, and a macro hatch. Then, keeping up with upgrades, get as many lings/blings as possible, and say alive, while denying the T bases. Keep them at 3 or less. and just wait until ultras.
-Defense: 2-3 spores at each base. 1-2 spines at each. Try not to lose much from drops.
-Endgame: You shouldn't be scared. Once you have maxxed out army with Ultras and ling/bling, with maxxed upgrades, move out. Basically nothing can kill upgraded ultras.

This is VERY VERY broad. Obviously you shouldn't go for a fast third unless you confirm that they've gone for a fast natural. One of the MOST important things in ZvT more so than ZvP is creep spread. Terran LOVE to kite but they CANNOT outrun you on your home turf.

The unit comp depends on what the terran is getting. Roarbot says get Ultras and ling bling. This only holds for Bio mine compositions. Vs Thors and hellbats, ultralisks are THE WORST THING YOU CAN GO FOR. You will have to go for roach hydra with good viper control, and possibly blings to take out hellbats nice and fast.

Injects are a universal thing but it always helps to get queens out early to stop hellion harass and deal with early air.

As for static defense. Keep it small early or it'll cost you. Late game really put alot in your main to defend your tech but every base should have maybe 2 spores and 3 spines. These will by no means stop a drop because of the nature of MMM but you just need to stall. Spines are more important don't do the 3 spores 2 spines thing.
That's the spirit.
Hi Zerg community.
First of all, sorry for my English (2nd language). Ok so like so many of us, ZVT make me rage every single time. At the beguining, I've tried to work a ling/bling/muta or ling/bling/Ultra and It was Ok.

Than I saw a master Zerg who is always playing Hydra/Roach againt T and win. Guest what, I always lost with Roach/Hydra. It's not a question of drop because I'm able to contain it. I just don't understand how to engage I guess.

Than with all the amazing result I've got with Roach/hydra, I've decided to return to ling/bling whatever. So what I would like learn is timing. Maybe if I understand Terran better I will be able to find something to fit my style of play.

If that thread could help all Z who struggle in that match up. I'm not looking for cheap excuse about the balance because I don't care. If player would want to be better, It could be a good idea to stop questionning the balance.

If REKATAN saw this thread, could you take time to explain me the basic of ZVT. I really like your style of play and watching you streaming was really helpfull so far.

So if you're a Zerg player Higher than Plat, fell free to help me in my quest to quick Terran !@#.

I love that game and 40% win rate againt T isn't enought for me!

Swarm is coming

Generally I will open 4 queens - 2 for injects and 2 for creep.
...or fast roach with burrow and poke the front of his natural, sometimes an ez win.

If terran is 1 basing its a good idea to delay your 3rd in favor of units roach/ling/bling.
I try to have some roaches out pretty much all game to defend the hellbat drops.
The roaches are a delay tactic until mutas finish. Be careful with your mutas, 1 mine can wreck your army.
Use the mutas to harass the terran and pin them in their base "DO NOT ENGAGE MARINES!!!"
A small number of marines can pick off mutas ez.
Against bio you need lots of bannelings.
Keep in mind if you see widow mines burrow "DO NOT ENGAGE THE MINES!!!"
Use Overseers and sacrificial lings to set off the mines.

The early/midgame for zerg is merely a delay tactic until you can get ultras.
Don't expect to win most of your games with ling/bling/muta (Although it is possible).
If you were careful with your mutas you should have a few left to pick off medivacs while your ultra/ling/bling kills everything else.
If terran switches to heavy marauder, get some more mutas.
You can mix in infestor/viper uber late game if you have the APM (Blinding Cloud+Fungal+Ultra=GG).

Just friendly tips. They may help you out.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm watching a lot or replay but It's like I'm not able to reproduce the same strat as pro player. Right now I'm loosing every ZVT unless the terran player cheese.

It's depressing!!
Roach hydra has two primary benefits: Good AA (for sniping medivacs and discouraging banshee play), and counters WM (because the hydras out-range the WM and roaches have a lot of HP and/or can burrow to regen).

But, ling baneling muta into ultras is the better build. The problem is that it takes a lot more micro and better engagements (or else you lose your entire ling/bling army to a few WM shots). In other words, its harder to pull off.
06/24/2013 10:12 PMPosted by roarbot
Creep spread: This is needed.

Not needed, but can be helpful.

Injects: Hit them.

DUHHH

3 base at 6:00

This is why you always cry. A dumbass blindly taking a third and then losing to an early pressure that isn't even suppose to end the game.

Defense: 2-3 spores at each base. 1-2 spines at each

He got spores and spines mixed up. It's more like 2~3 spines and 1~2 spores.

get as many lings/blings as possible

You at a level where you can make an army when you need it. So don't do it unless you are fully saturated.

Basically nothing can kill upgraded ultras.

No. Ultras die against mech and can be kited by bio.

Against Bio:
I usually go ling/bane/muta to start. I try to make very small amount of mutas. (trying to force out missile turrets) My final composition is ling/bane/ultra/queen or ling/bane/ultra/infestors. You need excellent creep spread with the queen.

Against Mech:
I only faced one mech player in the last month or so. He was a Masters EU Terran player that only goes mech. He told me to go roach/hydra/viper or swarm hosts. Scouting is the key. Blue flame is a pretty big sign he's going mech.
http://drop.sc/346332

Ok so this is a replay of me getting !@#$ in my face be a T. I Know I have a lot to learn but it's a place to start.
Basis of ZvT is this.

Taking a fast third at 6:00 is extremely risky for platinum and below players. Why? Because 2 bases timings and cheeses are extremely common in the lower leagues and generally it's because they tend to work even if scouted.

IMO, take your third only if :

1. You have map control (towers and stuff)
2. You know EXACTLY what your opponent is going for.
3. You know you will be able to deflect his attacks (drops, timing, etc)
4. Your opponent is on 2 bases and you can hit him pretty hard with something.

If you are not sure that you can take care of all the 4 points, do not by any mean go for a fast third, it's simply is suicide. Most of the guides you can find on the internet are made by pros and they are aimed at pro as well. They are pretty terrible for the lower leagues. The best example is the guide made by Blade5555 on liquidpedia. This guide is pretty much only good if you can inject properly on 3 bases or more, have decent group managing/control, good micro/macro, perfect scouting and decent knowledge of the other races/timing/cheeses, etc...

If you struggle to reach the meta game, begin by mastering the 2 bases plays and THEN try to work on getting a quick third.