New Player Help and Guides

Jan 31, 2013 Returning player; Where is everyone? So it's been about 3 years or so and here I am back and feeling very new of course, but I'm trying to look in trade chat in Darn. for a new guild but I noticed that no one is responding - in fact it's a ghost town. I remember trade chat was rampant with spammers, witty remarks and guilds spamming looking for raid slots but so far nothing. Did something change while I was gone? Feel pretty stranded without trade chat tbh, lol.Evianor7 Jan 31, 2013
Jan 31, 2013 Gold gain? Hi, I have been trying to get gold lately for some more heirlooms and I have found it kinda hard, a friend of mine said that dailies get him about 1000g a day but which dailies should I do? The dailies that I try to do only offer me 19g per quest and that doesn't seem like a lot :\ I would do heroics but my iLvl is 432 and I gotta get 435 but I can't find any quests to do for gear..more dailies I guess? (I recently hit 90.) edit: I have had no trouble getting gold before the 80's when dungeon queues get slowe because I would get a huge amount of greens and blues that I could sell to vendors for 300g+Eruitar6 Jan 31, 2013
Jan 31, 2013 Blizzard Buff UI? Good day all. Yesterday my UI was wiped out by a error and im now wondering how do i get back Blizzards Buff bar in the top right by my minimap? Cant seem to find an option.Shariadore10 Jan 31, 2013
Jan 31, 2013 Pandaren shaman question (aesthetically based Hey all, first off sorry if I'm posting this wrong in any way. I am just curious, out of the shamans you see horde wise, how common are pandaren? I am coming back to the game ATM, and plan to roll a pandaren shaman for the horde, but am just wondering how common that combo is, among the horde, and pandarens. Thanks in advance for any info!Mengbao5 Jan 31, 2013
Jan 31, 2013 Fishing Derby Sup guys! Been doing alot of research on the Fishing derby in STV and I really want to win. I'm just wondering because this event has been going on for quite a while, do you think there are much people still particpating ? What realm will have the least participants you think? I might do a server xfer - I really want that heirloom ring! How many times have you done it?Loochi6 Jan 31, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Looking to get back into the game. Greetings, waes wondering if anyone had an extra Scroll of ressurrection someone would be willing to use on me? I just got out of Job Corp and would love to see how the game is after about a year and a half being away. I'd love to re-roll with ya even again as well. And after the 7 days are up I might re-sub. Just wanna check it out before I do, (Also damned Job Corp doesn't send you your money until 3 weeks...Just force me out the door broke why don't ya! =P) Thank ya, I will keep looking at this thread.Varxx2 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Thank you! Just a big thank you to all of the max level people that come here and help out all the new players and (in my case) those of us who haven't played in 4 years and aren't accustomed to all the new things WOW since Cataclysm. It really shows that there is still some form of compassion here and gives the collective "us" hope to succeed in game. Thank you all Sincerely, (The former and soon to be again) Sheepyou of Winterhoof.Bowcaster4 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 First time raid. (Warlock) Okay so, in the next week or two, I want to attempt my first LFR, or to be honest, first raid in general. I had always been a more casual player, just getting on to make gold, do quests and be social. I've started doing heroics recently and gearing up and I want to try my hand at a raid. One thing that is concerning me is pulling enough DPS. I average about 30k-35k in heroics and I see that the minimum for MSV is about 50k. I've been running Destro and recently tried my hand at Afflic but had been doing horrible. Are there any like buffs that increase dps in a raid, or just having more people = full buffs to help boost dps. I'd like to think I have a decent enough rotation, I never run out of mana, keep my curse up, etc.. and again, I'm not fulling geared/enchanted/etc. I just feel like I could be doing more dps. Any useful constructive advice you could offer to me, locks or anyone in general?Antium12 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Mage question I am having difficulty playing my mage. I cannot seem to get my DPS up. I was wondering if someone could look over my toon and see were I can make improvements. ThanksMarisea8 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Starting Fresh ?? So I started a band new account so I can start Fresh and have a clean achievement slate. I decided to roll on alliance since I never leveled past 15 on that side. I am playing on a Role-Play server (Earthern Ring) because I just enjoy the community more and sometime like to do some Role-Playing. But besides all that I was wondering in Your Opinion do you think since its my first actually effort on Alliance side is it worth reading the quests and taking my time though the content. The game feels so new since I am not used to anything to do with alliance. Thank You =)Dèl16 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Mining Question Can anyone explain this? About once a day while mining the following happens: I attempt to mine an ore node but get a message that "This Item is in Use." or some such thing. There is no one anywhere around the node. A few seconds later a flying mount descends and a toon instantly begins mining the node and within another second (a LOT faster than I can mine) the toon is back on its mount and gone. The whole thing takes 2-3 seconds. I have tried tapping an ore node while flying to reach it but I get the message "You are mounted." How do you get so fast in mining from a mount that you can start mining before you even land, get the ore faster than regular timing, and then mount faster than I can cast the mount spell and then fly away to the next node? Thanks for your help.Butyrka1 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Reforging Guidance I appreciate that everyone has a favorite resource for stats, reforging, gemming, and gearing such as Noxxic, Mr Robot, Maxdps, or Icy-Veins. Recently I have experienced a challenge about how I reforge my character. For a Retribution Paladin the recommended stats priority is: Strength > Hit (to 7.5%) > Expertise (to 7.5%) > Haste > Mastery > Critical Strike My Hit is 7.93% and I am working on raising my Expertise to 7.5%. Most everything is reforged from Critical Strike or Mastery. However, other players often recommend that I reforge my gear to improve my dps (this often happens in Heroic instances, where other toons express their dissatisfaction with my 20+ k dps---my rotation is what those sites recommend, but that's another story...). The add-on Reforgenator tells me to reforge all of my gear, including one item to reforge from Haste to Critical Strike (the wrong direction according to stat guides). What am I doing wrong? Is this all a matter of reforging to change 0.06% in some stat or am I way off base? Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.Butyrka0 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Returned after long absence, have JP question I played during Burning Crusade and quit right before Wrath of the Lich King was released. I've reopened my account now and have WotLK am having a blast, but I'm confused about Justice Points. The first time I ran a random dungeon with the Random Dungeon Finder, 12 Justice Points were included in the rewards section, and I got them. I have used the RDF about 20 times over the course of 3 days and haven't seen those 12 points again. I've researched as much as I can and have found information indicating that the 12 points are rewarded either the first 7 random dungeons in a week or once a day while using the RDF, but neither of those cases seems to apply. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is there a quest I need to pick up from an NPC? Is the 12 JP RDF reward actually only obtainable once a week? While I'm at it, does the once/day or once/week timer reset at a certain server time each day/week or is it dependent on the time the reward was last received? Thanks for any help; I've got a lot of catching up to do...Gwinne7 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Tipping amounts? Hello again! I am wondering what the normal tipping amounts are? I am getting to where I need to get some glyphs/enchants/gems etc and am curious as to what amounts I should be offering to those who supply the service. Google searches haven't yielded much and I keep finding very OLD info with that. So, if anyone can give me a little advice in this direction I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!Kalijie6 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Battle-Pet Trainer quests require MOP? Do the Battle Pet quests beyond the tutorial ones require MoP, The ones that allow you to go battle trainers. ThanksDèl9 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 First aid: A pointless Skill? So the question here is obvious. Is there any actual benefit to training first aid other than feeling good about yourself? It seems like any and all healing can be done through other, more efficient ways...Snevillus31 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Been playing for months, still feel very new Hello, I have been trying to figure things out on my own but I'd like to ask for some other's opinions. I am about to the point where I will buy Cata. I'm a little confused as to what I should be focusing on and what I should be concerned about in the future. Should I just be leveling to 90 before I worry about anything else? I noticed an aspect of the game involving honor points and went to see what I could get for them in Stormwind. It looked like mounts were the main buys since the possible gear seemed to be worse than what I already have on from doing dungeons. I want to do Battlegrounds to get more honor points to get more mounts, but I've been a fire mage this whole time and frost mage is better for pvp. I have never been good at pvp, I get killed all the time. I'm afraid to do battlegrounds because I'm sure I will get yelled at. >o< Basically, any advice would be well appreciated.Lilarith10 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 LF refer a friend partner. I make new account Âgony1 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 New Hunter Has Questions About Taming New Pet I want to tame a new pet, so i put my dragonhawk in a stable. i try to revive or whistle and it says i do not have an active pet to summon. Then i went into the wild trying to tame a new pet, and it said "you have an active summon already" So I am super confused as to what to do. Cause i want a new pet, preferably a four legged one as i do not particularily like the way my dragonhawk looks.Aleinaai3 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Recruit a friend if i do recruit a friend, do i need to make a whole new account? or just a new character? (toon) cause i want to play with someone (still looking for someone) to make a RAC, but i dont ant to make a new account, just charachtr.Äðrxø3 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 30, 2013 Justice points ok i know you get justice points at lvl 70 and that you get them once per day via random ques for dungeons but after that first dungeon can i earn anymore that day and if so how?Necrodemon2 Jan 30, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 How do I recover 'Pet commands bar' During combat I accidentally deleted my pet command bar and I don't know how to recover or restore it. Can someone pls explain to me how to get it back.Nyghtwyng11 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Is this event still in the game? Was/is there a rare event out in the woods somewhere with a song and lights? I remember seeing a video years ago about it.Kelmor8 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 New warrior here! I've been playing WoW for about a month and my highest character is a level 31 Worgen warrior. Some people have told me that I should focus on strength and stamina, while others said strength and agility. Just wondering about opinions here. My current stats are the following: Strength: 102 Agility: 50 Stamina: 106 Figured intellect and spirit don't matter much.Keysha6 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 A question about dailys Im not a new player to wow or any thing but im new to doen dailys ok after u complet the quests in deep holmes u get a bunch of dailys you can do after wards . im trying to get the pebble companion and to get it u have to do a daily that u have a percentage of it being there every day now to the question ok do i have to complet all the dailys there each day for new ones to apear there the nxt day or even u dont do them do the dailys reset no matter watKarail4 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Just hit 90 not to long ago... How would i go about gearing up for resto spec? i used guardian 1-90 and now i wish to move on to resto would i have to keep questing at 90 to gear up for resto? And if it helps ill be doing lots of pvp so any tips on how to start getting gear for it would help. Thanks in advance.Païgey3 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Coin of Ancestry Anyone know how i can get more? I found one at Goldshire and at Stormwind entrance. Need 3 more. Thanks.Rubberchops4 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Blacksmithing I've chosen Mining and Blacksmithing as my two professions. (Seems to be the obvious choices for a Dwarf) I know I can make a living selling mats at the AH with my mining, but what would be the best way to earn gold with blacksmithing? Do the items I create do well in the AH?Balenar3 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 DK Frost question So I was thinking of going frost for this DK and I was wondering Whats better 2H or DW? ALSO what can I do to get runic power quickly for frost strike?Zähl7 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Running vs walking Pretty new here, still got lots to learn. My preferred style around mobs or in unexplored areas is to walk rather than run; I have much better control that way. But I notice I'm the only one doing so - everybody else is running at all times. Is that going to be a problem for me in instances? (I've chosen tank as my specialty.) I think (hope!) I could be an effective tank (with some experience), but I'm 66 years old, and my reflexes ain't what they used to be. Now, I guess I could go to cap just questing, but my understanding is that the fun and the loot is in dungeons and raids. At the same time, I don't want to bring other party members down with my slow pace. Advice or comments?Unhurried6 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 question about tranmogrification I can't transmogrify of any items I have, when in fact I saw someone who transmogrify her staff of Jaina. Can someone please help me answer this?Sasai4 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 What is a good realm? So, I am a totally new player (both to WoW and to MMO's in general). I started my character out on Zuluhed realm because when I created the character it listed that realm specifically for new players. All I can say is... I have never heard/seen such immature behavior in a video game in my life. I also have read on that server's forum that the realm has a bad reputation. Listen.. I am not at all a sensitive person and while I wasn't offended in any way, it made trying to find anyone at all to group with completely impossible. The general chat box was full of ridiculously childish talk and the few times I tried to group for a dungeon I was completely slammed for being new. I explained nicely that I was a totally new player but would gladly take direction. I held my own fine in the dungeons, but jeez... it was like every single player was a racist/sexist child. I have played to level 16 and (literally) every single person I have met in the game has been pathetically immature. Hey, I don't mind swearing in the least, but it seemed as if every single person talking in every chat area was under the age of 12... Do adults play this game? Maybe I was totally mistaken? Are there servers that aren't full of children with sad attitudes? Is it even worth it? I only have time to play a couple nights a week anyway... I am not trying to sound like a whiner. I am just genuinely curious if there are mature adults who play the game, or if I should stop now. Any honest information would be helpful.Lohpan12 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Why Is My Weapon Damage Low? Hey, Well I was fighting mobs and realized my weapon damage is low and why is it so low. I went to SW and when to a target dummy and my damage is 4-36 damage and I dont understand. My weapons highest damage is 90. Can someone please help! Thanks!Drezzy14 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Need unbiased opinions on classes! Thank you in advance. :) So I’ve been playing wow for about six months and all I’ve really played is a druid. but I’m having some trouble on choosing my next class to play. I’ve been reading a lot on the forums and people are asking what is the best class to play in mop, well I’m not going to ask that but I do want your unbiased opinions From experienced players or just average Joe’s that picked up a class and fell in love with it? I want to start raiding, but I have found that the druid is a great class, very versatile and that is probably the reason I would stick with it, but it hasn’t fully grasped me in to the class enough to say “I AM A DRUID :D!!...” :’( so I’m looking to play a new class. A fresh start and with mop out, there are lots of changes, I feel that it gives me an advantage over veteran players that have played any certain class religiously due to the fact that there are a lot of people that struggle to adapt to new changes as to me that all I have to do is learn the basics and new concepts of a class. I know what I’m generally looking for in a class. Great for PVP and PVE a class with good enough survivability (that is after I learn how to use the class) fun gameplay mechanics if possible to either heal or tank do to the fact that I already love to heal and like the whole aspect of healing and find it enjoyable, or tanking even though as terrified as I am as being a tank, it just seems to me like it’s the most stressful role to play do to the fact that everyone in the instance will be looking to me to guide the through a dungeon and it would be my fault if we wipe. I want a class I wont regret at max level when it comes time to raid and have the worst time trying to find my spot on a raid team even though I probably will with any class do to the lack of experience.Bigwillerd8 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Argent Crusade/Dawn Reputation If I understand correctly, there is no longer a tabard available for the Argent Crusade, is that right? Also I'm currently questing in the Eastern Plaguelands. She's currently honored with the Argent Crusade and revered with the Argent Dawn. I'm determined to get her exalted with both of them. However I feel like I'm starting to reach the end of the questline there. Will I encounter the Argent Crusade later and have more chances to increase my reputation with them? Any tips on getting my reputation to exalted? Thank youOzziemandias9 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Quest addon help Hello all, Currently, when I look at my map, it shows where all the blues and yellow ! are located... Problem with that is that although they are displayed, they might not be available. For example, if I do the first set of dailies for the Golden Lotus, the map will still show in small the blue ! but these are no longer available. Is there an addon that would show on the map ALL the ! - whether yellow or blue - that are available to my toon, not every location where there will - someday - be a quest available to me? Thanks everyone!Drakco3 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Experienced playing looking for an apprentice Justifly11 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 What to stack for a level 85 frost dk twink When you twink an 85 Frost DeathKnight should I stack mastery and hit or crit and hit? Or what's the best optal dps boost?Tempto1 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 scroll lvl 80... which class to play? Hi, its been a while since i played, and when i did play i chose a prot paladin. which was fun, but as fun as tanking gets =) recently though my friend sent me a scroll invite, so i thought i might have another go at wow, now im faced with a choice of what to take to lvl 80... my Mate is all for the new monk class, but from reading the forums they sound like a "newbie" players worst nightmare... anyway, wanted to ask for peoples help, on what class they found fun and for what reasons? so far i dont mind monk (in the starting area) but im not loving it.Wongfu1 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Best way to get Boas/Heirlooms My highest level account i have is 40. How can i get hierlooms/boas to make new accounts an do good in random bg's?Wetrippymahh10 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Do Druids Get........ I see mages and priests and every caster almost having 300k mana and was wondering if druids eventually get 300k mana? i was thinking of making a druid... Thanks for the help.Gnomepunterr4 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Death Knight questing help. I am a relatively new player and just made my first death knight. I am level 61 now but I don't know where to go to find higher level quests. Can someone please tell me where I should go for lvl 60-65 quests?Mandius5 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 Are titles account wide? I'm going for the "Argent Champion" title/achievement on my rogue and I was wondering if the title was account wide because it has to do with reputation.Drusilla8 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013 How hard are heroic BC dungeons? Do I have to read up on the fights beforehand or can I just go in clueless like you can with normal dungeons which are just a standard tank and spank?Amelica13 Jan 29, 2013
Jan 28, 2013 need help ^.^ Iv been playing like 2 days and yet no one has helped me wirh anything now im stuck and need help plz my character name is saiaxx or saiaxoxo ty ^.^Saiaxx39 Jan 28, 2013
Jan 28, 2013 Transmog Question With 5.2 around the corner and swords, axes, and maces will be able to be transmog'd together. My question is... Say with an Orc character I wanted the expertise from axes but wanted to transmog to swords, would I still retain Axe expertise bonus? Thanks.Sinjid4 Jan 28, 2013
Jan 28, 2013 brand new, first time I died, quest gone Hi there. So I died & came back & went to the character I was supposed to next in the quest, but theres nothing for me to do & no quests in my log. Just wandering looking for someone to give me something to do. I'm lost. Help?Kueyakket9 Jan 28, 2013
Jan 28, 2013 Should I blow 4k on Artisan riding? That's pretty much all my savings atm. Are there any other significant costs coming up soon? All I can think of is: - Panderia flying license - Gem and enchant costs for gear at 90.Amelica11 Jan 28, 2013
Jan 28, 2013 Eating and drinking, how to fish, etc... 1. What is the point of eating and drinking? How do I know when I need to do it? 2. I bought a fishing pole and got basic fishing training, but I can't figure out how to use it. I "armed" myself with the fishing pole on a dock, but nothing happened. So I tried to move closer to the water, fell in, and almost drowned! :) 3. There is a bar below the "special action" buttons that apparently shows my xp points, but why do I only have 10% of them? Even after resting and eating, it doesn't change. Is this why I keep dying? How do I fix this? Thank you all so much!Xenothera17 Jan 28, 2013
Jan 28, 2013 Items with a yellow exclamation in my bag... I know that they are all items that start quests, but I am wondering how to actually start the quest. right now they are just sitting in my bag taking up space. I am able to start the quest that they belong to, i think they are all level 10-15 items. any help is appreciated!!Demena4 Jan 28, 2013