New Player Help and Guides

Nov 29, 2012 Level 70 - Artisan Riding & Flying Mount Hi, this is my first character in the game, and I noticed how expensive the Artisan Riding skill was. I just got to 70, I'm a miner/enchanter (currently took a break from enchanting since it got really expensive for me). My question is, what are some helpful tips in order to generate that much gold?Roldanimal4 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Better way to target players that are covered In the Gerubashi Arena someone used an Elekk to cover another player while they opened the chest, and a few other players actually went under for cover too. Without an area of effect spell you have to actually target them, and it's basically impossible to click on every player that is covered before one of them opens the chest, and there's no guarantee that you can dismount or kill the player on the mount fast enough either. Stacking name plates is an option, but it's also an eyesore and still is not perfect if you don't know the names of the players who are opening the chest (when there are several characters in the same spot). So are there any other ways?Krukthor6 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Fury Warrior with Tanking Heirloom Quick question: I got the Ripped Sandstorm Cloak for my Protection Pally. But wanted to start a warrior too, to see how I liked the class. So to help gain a little more increase in XP I transferred the cloak to my warrior who I decided to go Fury (DPS) at level 10. Is using that cloak on her beneficial in any way or should I really only use it for tanking toons?Ïsabeau4 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Refresher: Must you do all quests to... Hi all, Back in the game after some time away. Just would like a refresher on how leveling works: 1) Do I have to do all quests NPCs present to me in order to unlock future ones? 2) If I choose not to do some quests in a zone and just walk into the higher level, neighboring one, will the NPCs there still offer quests for me to do? 3) Could you give me an estimate of what percentage of quests I can skip and still reach 90? Thank you for your help.Vardavaire4 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Non PVP Gear at Auction House I have some cash and was wanting to buy some epic gear off the auction house for PVE. I know that PVP gear will have PVP stats in the description...but is this always true? I'm specifically looking at items such as Ghost Reaver's Breastplate and Ghost Reaver's Gauntlets.Chrocent3 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 How to choose a server? I live in the mid-west (Chicago) so my internet can access both east coast and west coast with relative ease. But the server i'm on at the moment is (Darkspear) which someone told me, was 5:1 Alliance, i would like some help choosing a server that is somewhat balanced when it comes to Horde and Alliance. I want to make a Horde character, but on the current server i'm on, that would be suicide for horde is somewhat empty. Any suggestions, experiences, facts that you can share about which servers have a healthy balance between Horde and Alliance. The server doesn't have to be completely balance, but not so lopsided to the point where your forced to be on one side only.Ascorbic5 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Going from starter to all expansions im going to best buy soon to pick up chest(1,2, and 3+30 day sub), Cataclysm, MOP, and a 60 day card,, Do i just get the codes from the games when i get home and input them on battle.net? do i need to check for downloads after each code(expansion) before moving to next? Ill be getting road runner turbo tomorrow also, will this help? my game slightly skips once every few minutes. Do i still get to keep this Toon?? Do i keep same email& such?? IYO(in your opinion) how should i go about doing all this. step by step if possible. I thank you so much in advance for helping me. ~Tyler(OhThatsMe)Ohthatsme5 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Leveling spec First time playing and would like to know if it really matter which spec i choose for leveling? I tried all three and i do like fire but arcane is also nice,Azuramage2 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Coming back to WoW Hello, I'm going to be coming back to check out the new content...and to be honest I've been bouncing from game to game to game, trying to find "the one" and my thoughts keep bringing me back in this direction. I'd like to get into a heavily populated server, anyone have any suggestions for a good US West Coast friendly server?Stankfinga1 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 New Goblin Hi all. I am new (obviously) to WoW and I need help.... I am a beginner Goblin Rogue and stuck at level 3. I can't seem to find anyone to begin a new quest. I need to be at level 5 to leave the island.... Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance....Domcor2 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 lvl 30 first time alliance, where do i level? I'm about to ding 30 and have never played alliance before where do I go to quest now?Sominaire3 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 Tranquil Master Hey I killed all the Sha's and when i saw the achievement all I need is to kill the Sha of Fear. When I saw that i instantly went to Raid Finder and que'd for Terrace of the Endless Spring. When I killed the Sha of Fear I didn't get the achievement to kill all the sha's to get the title. Could anyone guide me to this or is this a bug?Toralo5 Nov 29, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Do I need to download Discs from Battlechest? I just received my Battlechest today, I activated my account, and my Product Level is now WotLK. I was wondering if I needed to download the disc? I had the Starter Edition, with the Client downloaded. Just wondering if it's necessary.Rysun3 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 How important are the low level quests? I like to play around with several different characters. In fact, I've made three of each class, all of which will have a different spec (sorry feral druids, no room for you!). Right now I've got a stable brand new characters. I've played the newbie areas for each race a few times, and the low breadcrumb quests are starting to get a bit boring or fustrating. I know that I have to do the Pandarian, Gnome, and Worgren ones if I want to get out into the big world. But do I really have do the ones for other races? I kinda like just running around, mining stuff, picking herbs, and killing whatever gets in my way. Can I just do that and skip the whole "Go here, meet so-and-so, then kill whatever" quests? I have a level 5 troll that can't do the "An Ancient Enemy" quest because Vol'jin won't appear even though I've logged on several times looking for him. I have managed to do it in the past, and wouldn't mind just walking away. Wowhead suggests this quest is simply bugged. Will it seriously hurt my character's prospects if I just abandon it and go do something else? tl;dr Will I cripple my characters if I just walk away from low level breadcrumb quests?Teapray15 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 What is the Dominance Offensive? What is their purpose and who can participate in their stuff?Dessication3 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Death loop in Felwood. Please help. Hello, all. I seem to be currently stuck in a death loop in Felwood. Instead of talking to a flight master I decided to hoof it to my next pair of quests which took me through Felwood (apologies, as I can't remember specifically where I need to go). The problem is I am sorely outgunned by (apparently) every hostile creature in the area. I was killed, and now every time I try to resurrect, I'm immediately surrounded by three or more of the beasts and dead again within seconds. I've even literally waited over a half an hour, and they wouldn't go away. Does anyone have any helpful advice to get out of this situation, or are my fears correct, and I'm literally stuck in a death loop? Thanks very much for your help.Mathiador9 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Difference between warrior and DK? Im looking to start a new toon to get to 90 and pvp with. Im wondering whats the difference between a warrior and a dk since they're both melee DPS/tanks. ThanksThasten1 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Returning Paladin LF home I played mage all through VanWOW up till BC and Paly tanked all through BC WotLK up till Cata and quit, i REALLY want to come back to the game, but as a hardcore raider again. I was among many known guilds throughout my gameplay but not sure where to find them anymore. Anywho if your interested in a skilled player hit me up and ill get back in game and hit the grind to the new level cap and start raiding again. Cheers !Æclepius4 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Guild Cloak Transmogrification in 5.1 This probably has an obvious answer but where does one buy a guild cloak from?Hahi2 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Titles and randoms Can someone explain to me what a random is, and why some characters , low level or not, have titles before or after their name? Such as " Erin the Patient"?Aneyealate6 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Slow leveling the Kheldren Way How fast are you at leveling? Congratulations if you have had a server first to level cap at least once in your life. I am the type of person that has had various memories of leveling starting in vanilla. It took me seven months to go from 1-60 on my first character, a priest that is now deleted. My next 60 took about four months. I was on furlough from one of my jobs at that time. Vanilla has had its time and I do not long for those days back. Starting in Burning Crusade, the development team reduced the amount experience required in the 20-60 range and did the same thing with each subsequent expansion. This resulted in having more quest content than levels. I rolled Kheldren as a fresh mage in January of 2011 and leveled him intermittently. The intent was to play the Cataclysm from the Alliance side. When Kheldren hit 70, I equipped him with head-to-toe season 4 PvP gear because the honor was there. I also started a challenge: Solo my way up to the instance ladder. When I hit the Outland dungeons, I came very close to hitting 71 so I stopped the experience gains and cleared out some level 70 normal modes solo. After I could not continue, I re-started experience and covered Northrend content. I stopped again at 80 to solo through Normal mode Northrend (Did all they way up to Zul'drak). After hitting 85, I had an idea: During the leveling process, why not stop a few times and do all of the quest content in that bracket and experience the zones at their intended level? I did that on two characters going from 85-90 on a very active RP-PvP server. What is this slow leveling? It is about keeping your character to the level in the zones where they are questing by periodically shutting off experience gains. There is more quest content than there are levels. This is something I would recommend more for an alt if you are tired of the race that leveling has become.Kheldren5 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Coming back for MoP. What should I roll? IF YOU'RE A VETERAN AND HAVE PLAYED EXTENSIVELY: ---> OR HAVE LEVELED PAST 60 What have you played before? Warlock (85), Priest (85), Druid (70), Warrior (85), Paladin (85), Rogue (42), Shaman (85) Describe what you liked and disliked about those classes. Be detailed! I hate mages, hunters and rogues. can't get used to it, don't like style of play, etc. I might roll a mage, maybe, but when I tried leveling those 3 I just got tired of it and abandoned it. With a friend or alone? What's your friend going to be leveling? Forever alone Are you leveling via PvE or PvP? Chain-running dungeons? PVE, chain running dungeons. Will you be doing primarily raids/dungeons at level cap (PvE) or knocking the opposing faction in the balls over a flag (PvP)? Extensive PvE, no, or extremely limited amount of PVP Will you be multiboxing or just playing a single character? Single. like my life. Race preference? Either for looks or the actual racials (or lore!). Draeneis, Pandarens and Gnomes. would not prefer human unless the racial was good. Heals/tank/DPS? What's your style for DPS - melee or ranged? Tank, Heal, Ranged DPS - in specific order. Any favorite game mechanics? (DoTs, HoTs, stealth, mana, etc) Prefer mana, straight healing (priest/shaman) over HoTs, tanking without losing too much health / spiking too much). Hybrid or pure? Does it matter? Does not matter. would have to say I'd prefer hybrid. Pet or temporary pet or none at all? Does it matter? Does not matter. Throw in any extra details here: I will be SoCing so I will probably have a 80 to accompany leveling. I don't like to wait for dungeon queues. I am not good with money management, but I'd like to keep my gear as updated as possible thank you.Cokedealer1 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Holy Priest Question. Will i be needing more Mastery? or more Haste? when it comes to Holy Priest. Mastery helps more when it comes to healing spells but im not sure which to lean more towards. thanksOzah4 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Best realm for new players? I started on Sen'jin because it was recommended for new players, but my friend tells me I should not play on it. I have 0 WoW experience, but I like the game so i think I will eventually upgrade my battlechest to MoP and subscribe for few months. I don't feel like starting another character, so should I just stick around here? Global chats seem all dead, and AH has like 4 pages for each category.. I don't know why Blizzard recommends this for new players. Is it because the server has low population?Witgan3 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 New Patch Can i have a complete guide on how to install the new patchCircinus3 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Hi I'm new.. Hi, I'm fairly new to the game for this is my first account/character ever. I have one question, when people are trying to be recruited for a guild/raid and they say for example they're a "486 pally" what does the number stand for?Roldanimal5 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Need tank tips for warrior human class. Is taunt spell the only taunt i have cause all the overs don't say they taunt?Beeso12 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 could I get hacked if someone knows my IP? I went to a site on a forum, after visiting the site some members said the site may have an IP tracker so the person could trace my IP then steal my info... i'm paranoid. ='(Ghost2 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Recruit a Friend Info Needed So A guy down the hall in my dorm wants to start playing again so he made a new account and i recruited him. He's downloading the game now. My question is, I know we get the 300% exp while we lvl together; the "level Grants" that it talks about, how do those work? Do both players get an extra level every 2 levels or what? The wording on that part of the RaF faq are a little odd. Can someone just explain that bonus level part assuming I know nothing about it?Wallaman5 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Just coming back...Scroll of ressurection? Please delete this, I see the correct place for it. Sorry!Osht1 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 Stuck In Horde Territory ._. I was doing my quests and got bored (which is irrelevant) and found myself wondering towards Orgimmar, which is obviously horde territory. I was unaware of this until I died and realized that the level 15 people that killed me were horde. So obviously I resurrected myself & decided that I would get my little butt out of there, but unfortunately every time I resurrect myself, I die again. I would bite the bullet and resurrect in the graveyard even though it would kill my armor, but unfortunately where I died is pretty much on the graveyard and the graveyard and right next to the entrance to the city. I tried to use my hearthstone but I can't stay alive long enough to use to -_- Am I screwed or is there hope? Help :)Ariangg14 Nov 28, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Just a quick question. i dont understand why when i wear a helm or a hat it never shows up on my toon. (same with a cape) they never show up on my character ive always hated that. is there a way to fix it?Ozah2 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 1st-Timer to Jade Forest Finally made my way to Jade Forest (MoP) but I'm seeing a real problem that I think may be my gear. First, the adds in the starting area of Jade Forest are level 84's but to kill them it takes at least double the time and effort. As a disc priest I'm used to getting adds down pretty quick. Plus, my mana is drained by the time I kill 2-3 adds. Needless to say, I stopped playing because I can't even get past the first 2 quests in Jade Forest without dying by either running out of mana or the adds killing me because they hit me harder than I hit them. Is this gear-related and how in the world do I get better gear at this point?Marissah15 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Merging Two Accounts? So i bought the battle chest almost a year ago and just recently started playing again but on a different email using the starter edition. Is it possible to use the battle chest i purchased with my old account and use my char i made on the starter edition that has a different email? Or in order to use my new char will i have to rebuy the battle chest with that email?Oosindeloo2 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Pally,Warrior,Hunter >? MOP Pally,Warrior,Hunter >? MOP Which one is better choice overall in MOP 3's wiseConcealment2 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Move on right-click option? I am trying to find where I can enable move to target on right-click. Basically, when doing certain dailies and if I am a little too far to loot, by right-clicking my toon would just go to the target and loot. I did this a while ago, and now with a new toon, I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Interface options. Did they remove this option? Thanks!Necromaguss2 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 List of changes that occurred in MoP? I just got the CE on sale, and figured I may as well pop back in because I enjoy following the story of WoW. I haven't really been following as to what really happened other than pokemon, account wide achievements, and an emphasis on dailies. Is there a list you guys can link me to or post here that sums up the changes? And other than that, are reputations still character based?Buttbandit4 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Something I should know about locks? Just started playing my lock since the talents changed. Lvl 85, Dem is my spec. I heard in dungeons that locks or there demons pull aggro? I know the bluberry is a tank and I never use that one, at least not in dungeons (with a tank) I was referring to maybe some spells or abilities? I've also noticed that "The Hand of Gal'dan" spell is an AOE, but it is in the single target rotation. This seems like it might cause some problems when questing?Diadom3 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 mail I have a panderian chara that i want to delete, but I can't because of the mail from WoW. how do i find a mailbox in pandaria.Yariana7 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Big Bags Are the any free big bags (22 slots+) I already have Dragon Hide BagCircinus7 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Pvp BOA's and scroll of res.questions I took a LONG break from WoW and came back recently through the trial account. I am liking it enough that I think I want to reactivate my old account through a scroll of resurrection. I've read the sticky and the rules and whatnot on it but still have a couple of questions. First, when I "rez" can I make a new character to boost up to 80? I don't like the names on my old toons so I want to start fresh, so to speak. I don't know exactly how that works and how I go about it. Second - do I just post in the sticky? Last, for the free realm transfer for one character, can it go to any realm or only the realm of the person who gave you the scroll? Sorry for the questions. I've read the the rules several times now and just getting a headache, lol. Oh - and some tag-along question - I am having a lot of fun on bg's on this character and was thinking of getting some pvp boa's to help until I am able to reactivate. I would not be able to transfer to another character though because of the mail restrictions with trials is that correct? Should I not bother? Part of the reason I am interested because I want to try druid healing. If it will still be beneficial for my bg's what should I get first?Kaliji2 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Returning Player, Couple questions... I've just returned to WoW after about a year and some change, needless to say I'm a bit lost (not like riding a bike ;) I am capped in JP and the PvP points (valor or conquest I can't remember the name right off) and plan on leveling in BG's and the random dungeon finder along the way to 90. Is there anything I can do with these points such as buy level 90 gear but not wear it by making my way to Townlong Steppes and accessing the vendor? Can I even make it to Townlong without doing the 87 or so level quest? I want to prepare myself for raids as quick as possible to catch up to friends that have been playing since mop launch so anyway to bypass some rep grinds (absolutely hate rep grinds) would be helpful. What about my PvP points, is there anything I can use them for at level 85? Are the vendors only in the new MoP hub? I have alot of heirloom gear so don't need any of that btw. Also is the only way to get to the cap without rated battlegrounds? I don't see anyone picking me up being undergeared for RBG's anytime soon. Any help is appreciated.Sojoco3 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Good Teammate for Druid Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I are going to start playing World of Warcraft together and we were wondering what would be a good teammate to roll along with my druid for PvE and PvP? I heard in 2v2 Resto Druid and any type of DPS is very effective but how about for PvE? Any suggestions or personal experiences are welcomed.Loofaofdoom11 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 auto loot not sure where this goes, however i thought i would roll a horde and check out that content (since its been years since i been over there). and noticed a glitchy prob. I can't auto loot no matter the settings. I can on alliance side, but when i switch to horde the auto loot goes off. even if i go into the interface and check the box "autoloot" when i loot and come back, its off again (unchecked) not a huge game issue, but would like to see it work. thanksCrypticlock9 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 shadow vs mage playstyle i know mage has different playstyles was hoping sombody could simplify the dif in playstyle of a mage and a shadow priest.Kratos5 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 level boost Hello. I accepted a Scroll of res on this past Thursday but did not level boost a character to 80 at that time. According to the SOR FAQ I can still boost a character to 80 while on the SOR time, but I can not figure out how to do it. The FAQ states the following: "I just accepted a Scroll of Resurrection. How do I level boost my character? Log in to your Battle.net Account and click on the resurrected World of Warcraft license. Once you’re on the Game Management page, click Claim Rewards and select the character to level along with their class specialization. The character will be leveled to 80 and placed in his or her faction’s capital city the next time you log in. The character will be ready to adventure immediately – they will be granted all class skills and spells up to level 80, a flying mount and riding skill, and a green quality set of level- and spec-appropriate gear for leveling. Any gear that was on the character prior to the level boost will be mailed back to the character in-game. Active quests may be abandoned when a level boost is performed. If a quest is abandoned in this way, you will be able to pick it up normally from the NPC who originally gave you the quest." But I do not see an area for "claim rewards". where do I find that area if I already started the SOR time but did not boost a character when immediately accepting the SOR? Thanks for any info. :)Jayzan6 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Starting up again with 1 question Getting back into WoW after a good long time off. the last verison of the game i had was burning crusade, if i was to buy pandarian could i start my new character and play on it or would i need to get all the updated versions until pandairain? Thanks!Rompies5 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Gearing for each expansion As a newb, I'm still struggling with the whole gear process. This toon is my second-highest level toon I play. Although I have no real problems with healing now, I'm trying to prevent the problems I have with my main toon (Horde healer). So that leaves me with the following questions: 1- What is the best way to get good gear to help soften the blow of having gear-associated issues between expansions? I'm level 71 now but realize belatedly that I should implement wearing leather as my spec recommends, and I also don't want the average level of my gear to prevent me from running dungeons as that's how I level best. 2- I found a leather vendor in Dalaran but the mode of payment isn't something I have ever seen before. (Never mind that I'm not level 80 as it says it requires). It says it cost just 1 of something. But the image icon for the item it requires for purchase is indistinguishable. 3- Is there a vendor just like Jade Forest has that sells Greens I could buy if need be between each expansion? As of now, purchasing gear with gold is my only option. I used my Honor points to purchase PvP gear for my alt spec. For those who read and understood all that, thanks so much for reading. I would love any advice that will help me stay better geared this second time around.Jaeyda3 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 Easiest Way of Earning Honor Points The title says it all!Evilrize3 Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 No clue on what class to play Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet? I prefer to do the damage on my own. Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor? I like cloth wearers What have you played in other games before? Maybe you played a caster in another game and liked it, or have a fondness for barbarians/warriors. WoW might have a rough equivalent for you! This is my first online game. Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells? I would like to be able to heal myself. Which is your preference: attacking enemies from a distance or being up in their faces? from a distance. Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat? I don't like my choices, spell casting appeals to me. Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe? watching over a group to keep them safe Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet? On my own Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already? I don't really know much about the classes this priest is my first toon. the Priest seemed to appeal to me because it was a spell caster. Mage look cool too Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history. I think history make the game more interesting and helps me dive into the game more. Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to). I never roleplayed but it would be interesting. Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down. I think Humans and Orcs are cool. So are Night Elves and blood ElvesBuduc4 Nov 27, 2012