New Player Help and Guides

Wanting to play a new class/race, which? So far, I've played a /bit/ of most every class/race up till Cataclysm, thinking of maybe getting Mists and getting back into WoW, and I want to play a new character from the start. I don't, however, want to play a pandaren or a monk. Maybe later on, but not for the moment :P 'Mains', so far as I had any, were this undead mage and a blood elf death knight. I leveled them to 80 and 85, respectively. MoP hadn't released when I last finished playing, and I haven't got it (yet). I liked their being able to do DPS, and be fairly self-sufficient (looking at /you/, conjure water and conjure food), while not being entirely flimsy. When I finished leveling my DK, I started a priest for a bit, and I did like healing on that (got up to 40-something on that), but the Shadow didn't really thrill me. I'm probably going to be doing this new character alone, but I might have a friend coming in. If I do, don't know what he's going to be playing (yet), but I believe it'll be a warlock or a mage. I want to be leveling primarily via PvE, as I've never really liked PvP (no good at it, see?). I also do like the semi-omnipresent storyline that Blizz put out starting from the starting zones in Cataclysm, so that's another reason. Level cap, I'm probably looking to start doing /some/ dungeons and raids (never got into them prior, though - mostly because I was still busy with school and university, though :P) No multiboxing on my end, requires too much concentration + cash, ehehehe. Race...Hmmm. Well, I'd like it to be one of the Horde races, probably one of the vanilla Hordes (undead, orcs, trolls, tauren). Other than that, not too sure. And, of course, not ruling out Alliance for a change of faction scenery. Probably want to go Draenei or human for that. Now, for a role...Hmmm. I'd like any. However, I'd like to at least try tanking first, healing second, DPS last in that priority, with a priority to melee DPS. I'd like direct healing rather than HoTs. Damage-wise, I prefer DoTs and other debuff stuff. Don't know much about tanking, so no comment on that side. Doesn't matter whether its hybrid or pure, but I have a slight leaning towards pures. Pets would be best to be either proper pets rather than temporary pets, or none at all. Never really liked the temporary pet stuff. Probably going to be doing a bit of RP with this character (like RPing, never done it yet on WoW), so keeping that in mind would be very nice, but doesn't really matter either way :P Bluedermis5
Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012
Good Feedback: Tutorial.gid Contents 1) Intro and basic theory. 2) Questions, good and bad, with reasoning 3) Example feedback. 4) Wrap up and cheatsheet. This guide is for players who wish to improve the game by way of giving effective and useful feedback, by helping the devs recreate and understand the process behind a problem, instead of simply stating what it is. I will touch lightly on basic game design theory for the purpose of helping you understand how your feedback will be used, progress into some basic questions varying from "should be asked" through "right idea, wrong approach" to "Don't bother with", and finish with a few examples. This is long(nearly 3000 words), so I have provided a summary check list at the end - I still recommend you read the good to bad questions, to understand the logic behind them. Please note, and this is important: I do not represent Blizzard in any capacity, I am an independent fun engineer, proud gamer and slightly insane. The purpose of this guide is the same as yours: Improve the game I love. ~Basic theory Games come on many platforms, not being restricted purely to the digital variety - board, card and verbal are all valid platforms. Games invoke many feelings - joy, anger and even fear. Games teach you - math, problem solving or social skills. So what is a game? A game is a set of rules that deliver an experience of some kind. A good game is one that succeeds, even if you don't enjoy it, in delivering to its target audience. You aren't playing a body doing repetitive motions on a multi-buttoned input device, you're playing a powerful master of the arcane, a peaceful caretaker of nature, a harbinger of death or maybe an easily distracted bearer of the light - these are the experiences. Slaying a thousand year old beast, returning a little girl to her parents safely, wreaking destruction upon unsuspecting townships and protecting your herd from invaders are all experiences too. So, your feedback is going to be from the point of view as a participant of these experiences - one, but often many - and will be used to further shape them towards what the developers goal is. From your feedback, the dev team will hopefully take not only what you did, but how you felt, why this happened, and where you personally fell short in some department. This last point may seem odd. Basically what happens is designers come up with how they want the play to go - do x, move to y, kill b, loot c, rez k and t yet again. So by giving a detailed and concise description of your plan will let them compare quickly and easily. By telling them how you felt, they can gauge how effective the flow state(read this elsewhere, too much for one post but the tl;dr is "ideal player state". You want to in it.) was. By expanding on this with whys', they can see patterns - which goes back to helping the refinement process. Personally failings are hard to admit, but hugely helpful. "I couldn't___" gives a vastly different message than "Its too hard". Okay, so they have all this feedback from millions of players, analyzing it and figure out the next steps, deploy the build and we do this all over again, until it's peferct. Yeah, right - design isn't science, it's a craft. There is no spot on goal, whatever it takes to get the experience across is the goal. The perfect game is a myth, but we, the players, are critical to amazing games - not because of the money, but because we have either the quit option, or take advantage of the game rules and win(Not always according to plan, either). Velora8
Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012
What class should I try next? So as a bit of backstory, I quit the game in late wrath but recently a sudden bout of nostalgia + a friend offering to undergo the recruit-a-friend process with me brought me back about a week ago. Back in wrath I played a Destro lock but I was a total baddie, despite putting effort into researching my class, rotation, gearing choices etc, I just never pulled as much dps as others. To top it off my server only had a single guild on either faction making any considerable PVE progression, it wasn't the best atmosphere for learning and there weren't a lot of opportunities, just lots of terrible pugs :c (fyi I don't expect to get better just by changing classes, I know I'm terribad lol) But anyways, now that I've come back, classes have changed, specs have been simplified, gearing seems more complicated what with reforging etc. It's a little overwhelming. I've played a disc priest to about 70, and while I enjoy healing, old school instances are complete facerolls. Monks barely even need healed, tanks pull entire rooms, dps doesn't need to focus the tank's target, bosses drop in a matter of seconds. That's fine honestly, I'm not criticizing blizz or begging for a challenge in content that I'll spend an hour in at best and then out-level it, but what I'm trying to say is I'm approaching 90 and I have no clue what playing my class will entail in end game. So what I'm suggesting/requesting, is some sort of how to pick a class guide for end game pve (pvp too I guess). Or even just a poll of things you like about your spec, things you hate about it, a quick, brief description of what playing your class is like - in the hopes that this could guide players and they'd see "Oh, that sounds like a lot of fun/much more engaging than what I'm used to playing as x class" or "Wow, that sounds god awful, who would want to put themselves through that" and so on and so forth. It'd be fantastic to have a centralized guide as opposed to digging through a dozen and a half class/spec stickies and trying to deconstruct their rotation which is conveniently obscured by tons of acronyms about talents and skills that you have no clue about >.> So uhh, does anything like this exist by chance? Zaelyx4
Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012
Help picking class. Can't settle on one. Been playing WoW off and on for a good while, but I've only gotten to 65 with a shammy. Now, with MoP, things are confusing to me again. Any help is much appreciated. Never posted on here before so if it looks bad/hard to read. I apologize. Thanks for any replies! Here's my answers to the questionnaire. Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet? I'd prefer to either have a pet or no pet at all. I don't care for temporary ones. Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor? I feel like I don't like the way cloth looks. What have you played in other games before? Maybe you played a caster in another game and liked it, or have a fondness for barbarians/warriors. WoW might have a rough equivalent for you! I used to cast armor debuffs and use either a dagger or xbow in Asheron's Call, or I would wield a spear. Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells? I'd like to be able to heal myself, but it's not 100% necessary. Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat? Sometimes Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe? Of those options, front lines. Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet? Alone Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already? I've tried pretty much every class. Like them all, but I feel like I get bored eventually. Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history. Not really Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to). Nope Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down. Prefer Alliance and they all look great to me. Tend to favor the rarer races/class mixture. Justfooit4
Nov 6, 2012 Nov 6, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012
Don't know where to turn, please forgive me. I'm sorry for writing this, as I don't know where else to go. I've purchased about $200 worth of strategy guides and have been reading as much as I can. I just can't get the game to "click" with me. I don't want to sound like a whiner or anything. I love the game, it's my new hobby. And I know you guys can't make other players friend me or whatever. To get to my point: I'm having trouble understanding what exactly I should be doing. Yes, I'm enjoying the game very much. But throughout the leveling process I've had a very difficult time - I just didn't know what to do. I'm not entirely new to MMORPG's if you count PSO as one - I had a lot of fun with that and knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing. In this game, I basically just do quests, which is very fun. But it's getting old. I tried a dungeon, signed up as a damage dealer, but I go to attack the enemies that I'm told to attack and I kill them - a loot item appears and I get kicked out of the group before I can even grab it. I don't know if I'm not supposed to grab it? I thought I was doing things right. Am I supposed to buy gear at each level from the auction house? It's what I do now and seems to be working. I don't know how to improve my gear - I know it needs enchanted, but I can't find an enchanter in any city. Once I hit the level cap I don't know what I'm going to do. People have suggested PvP - I tried duels, but got annihilated. I know it takes practice and researching to accomplish something, but I just can't seem to find my place. I just started playing this game for the first time in August. It took me 2 days to figure out how to sell something to a vendor. Not looking for pity or anything... More like guidance. I have no friends that play, nor any in game friends. I basically asked a random player if I could join their guild and he let me. Sorry for the rambling, but what else can I do to learn this game? I want to get better. I want better gear - I don't know how to earn all this gold. I want to be good at dungeons, but I don't know how to practice them. If it matters, I'm on the Mac version using a Retina MacBook PRO. This is the first PC game I've played since Duke Nukem 3D. I average 3 hours a night playing, also have Mists of Pandaria. Yes, the game is fun, but I've played this entire time by myself. Sorry for rambling and the nature of my post, but I just want more out of the game. Lexdiamonds40
Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012
New player looking for class suggestions Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet? dont really care about having a pet or not Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor? more bulk What have you played in other games before? Maybe you played a caster in another game and liked it, or have a fondness for barbarians/warriors. WoW might have a rough equivalent for you! Final Fantasy XI i played a warrior/paladin Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells? Doesn't matter Which is your preference: attacking enemies from a distance or being up in their faces? Up in their face Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat? Ripping out organs i suppose LOL. Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe? Front lines with a shield is what i'm used too Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet? My own or in instances Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already? Tried the druid but u have always been interested in the heavy armor type classes Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history. Eh not too much Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to). Nope Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down. Going to play alliance side and umm anything but the gnomes hah. Ahkraten3
Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012
[Icedragon Questionnaire] I'll try this. I'm a very picky leveler. It's like hell for me, but I also want to experience the new content. I've not leveled anything since BC. What have you played before? Well, I've played little bits of everything. My main has been a rogue since beta. I leveled a druid to 80 in balance, and healed for about a week with it. I got bored with the druid. How far did you level it? Druid- 80 Rogue- 90 Describe what you liked and disliked about those classes. Be detailed! I love the rogue's aggressiveness and control. My favorite skill is Killing Spree, because it allows me to regain energy while still bursting. I like the mobility of shadowstep, but sub was still never my favorite. I'd much rather have gone combat (except for in vanilla and BC). I like being sneaky with stealth and playing mind games with people. I like combat because it's so aggressive. I can run in manmode and overwhelm my target with damage, and force them to go defensive. The reason I don't like Sub was because I felt like I am forced into a position (behind them), and if I'm not there I will do significantly worse. If I'm not behind my target while shadowdancing, I am not ambushing. If I'm not ambushing, I'm not doing damage. I liked mut in WotLK for it's amazing control, but in MoP it is far too energy starved and relies too heavy on DoT damage (I don't mean I dislike DoTs, but it takes a while to apply them all before you can start seeing your target take some damage.) I didn't really like the druid. The only reason I leveled it was to try out healing, and I don't like it. With a friend or alone? What's your friend going to be leveling? Alone Are you leveling via PvE or PvP? Chain-running dungeons? I usually just quest until I gain access to a new dungeon, then I do the quests for that one. After the dungeon quests are done it is back to the normal quests. Will you be doing primarily raids/dungeons at level cap (PvE) or knocking the opposing faction in the balls over a flag (PvP)? PvP. I find PvE really boring and prefer to do it as little as possible. Will you be multiboxing or just playing a single character? Single Race preference? Either for looks or the actual racials (or lore!). I don't care Heals/tank/DPS? What's your style for DPS - melee or ranged? I don't like healing. I am open to tank or DPS, but I am most experienced with DPS. Any favorite game mechanics? (DoTs, HoTs, stealth, mana, etc) I like having things proc. Disarm and Cloak of Shadows are fun. Hybrid or pure? Does it matter? Doesn't matter. Pet or temporary pet or none at all? Does it matter? I'm not so good with micro-managing. If the pet requires a lot of my attention, then I'd rather not. Throw in any extra details here: Zindro5
Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012
Returning to WoW - Looking for ultra casual Hi I've been away for a year or so and my time is severely limited. It's so limited that I may end up with 3-4 hours a week that I can play. If I end up deciding that $15 is worth 10-12 hours a month, I will definitely not be doing anything competitive, be in PVP or PVE. What I will be doing is farting around on a new character just to go back and explore the revamped cataclysm zones (I just took my 80's to 85 during Cata and didn't go back to the old zones). Eventually, if I last long enough, I suppose that whatever I make might end up doing the 85-90 panda stuff. Anyway, with all the changes to the talents and what I hear about changes to low level dmg and leveling, I'm curious about what folks are finding the most *fun* for casual solo leveling. Yes, I know fun is subjective. I guess I'm just looking for something easy to go in and blow stuff up, experience the revamped old world and that's about it. I have full BOA items for every possible class combination, lots of gold, tons of maxed out professions, etc, so really, all I need is to maximize my fun for those few hours a week when I can play. I have level 80-85 Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Paladin, Druid but hell, I suppose I'm not even opposed to starting one of those again if the leveling path for them is fun. Sorry if this is super-repetitive, falls into the "do what you like" category or is just a lame question in general, but if some folks have some feedback, I'd appreciate it. Gormog6
Nov 5, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012
Why have god-like guards on a PvE server? Ok so I exaggerated a bit. A good level 90 or few could beat the 590k hp guards, but that is not what I mean. I don't know which expansion introduced this, it could have been WotLK, but elite guards didn't always appear out of thin air upon walking near a "real" enemy encampment (a new player might not even know the difference between a quest camp/enemy and a player camp/enemy), regardless of the zone level, and attack you, regardless of your level (this is not just a trial account issue), often killing you in 1 shot, and also flagging you when you didn't even attack anything. What's much worse, is the starting area guards who have 7001k hp and do MUCH more damage than the 590k hp guards. Obviously this doesn't make sense lore wise, (in less you think that towns are just really bad at using reinforcements for questing purposes) even less than level 90 players coming to lower level zones. But I these guards are hurting the game more than helping it. I actually think guards are needed more on a PvP server than a PvE. If you think I'm crazy, keep reading. Many people will say that this is meant to stop the higher level players from shutting down lower level camps, but even if the guards weren't there, it still wouldn't be a problem on PvE servers. If it was a problem, we would have 7001k hp guards everywhere. It isn't a problem because everyone has a PvP flag that they can toggle on PvE servers. So if they don't want to defend their town or be killed by other players, just keep your PvP flag off. So what about the quest givers? Well many of them already can't be attacked, including in the starting zones, and the flight masters are still hard to kill. Just make it so the rest of the important Npcs can't be killed if it's really an issue. Guards should still stay, but if they are still going to spawn out of thin air, a few things should be changed: The "for show" guards (they are level 25 in a level 20 zone), should at least be level 90 if nothing else is going to change to avoid the confusion and frustration. But some better options are to spawn guards that match the level of the attacker (and an attacker should be someone who hits a flagged Npc or is "clearly" in enemy territory, not just near it). For those who think that this could be abused if a low level player makes low level guards spawn for higher levels to kill, why should no more guards spawn? If a different player, especially of a higher level, attacks even after a low level player does, spawn level appropriate guards for them too! Whatever happens after that is fair game. Lastly, different people want different levels of PvP. Some want total war PvP (no restrictions or protection for any players or npcs) but many don't agree with total war and want regulated PvP. So why not make a new type of server, Total War, to satisfy players who want it? So why do we have these guards and not any of the things I suggested? Are they worse ideas (if so, how?) or is Blizzard just being lazy about it? Krukthor163
Nov 4, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 Nov 3, 2012 Nov 3, 2012