New Player Help and Guides

Sep 26, 2012 ... Hi. I'm thinking to buy World of Warcraft game and I need "help" If I buy World of Warcraft Cataclysm Collectors Edition, will I get one month of the game with it? Same question for The Battlechest (with the WotLK). Can someone buy it for me on Amazon, that person pays from some other place, and I get it at my place? What happens if I don't pay for the next month after one I paid is finished? Edit: I forgot to ask how does the monthly subscription costs?Flodagdelora9 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Help about heirlooms If I transfer a character with heirlooms to another realm will the heirlooms come with said character?Felscythe2 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Archaeology Keystones Hello. Since, I really don't like doing Archaeology because it is time consuming, would it be smart if I just bought the Keystones from Auction House? Or should I not? If so, or if not, can you please explain why? Also, stupid question but, is buying the Keystones only, allowed? That means no surveying what so ever. Would I get in trouble if I started buying the Keystones from Auction House instead of trying to survey for fragments? Thanks in advance!Âzzarth4 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Question about the /who command What is with this command? I use it and it shows only me present even though I can see other players running around near me. Also just used it in IF and it said no players were present though I surely was there as well as other players?Geloma2 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Resubscribe and upgrade? Bear with me, its a serious question. I have played since the day after WoW. Absolutely true story: I couldn't buy it the day of because I went to best buy and a guy got murdered right out front, no access to the store. I have some fond memories of playing from when I was a teenager/college. Now I'm almost 30 and I'm wondering if I should play again. I love tanking in this game, healing was fun, pvp was fun, I flat out loved all of it. I think my combined /played time for all my chars is probably over a year (yikes). I quit around march of this year. I couldn't tank anything because I didn't understand the fights and I got kicked out of groups when I admitted to not knowing. I work in law enforcement, which means a) I get yelled at, spit at, degraded all day long at work, so having the same thing happen in a game got old. It also means b) I work nights and weekends (Hence posting at 1am on a Wednesday) so there aren't many people to play with, and raiding was pretty far out of the question. MoP looks like a lot of fun. I'm just wondering if the community is still full of jack-wagons (which I can handle), but I also don't make a lot of money so prior to purchasing I was hoping to get some folks opinions. Are there guilds out there who will take people that dont know/understand the content? Do people still make friends in this game? Most importantly: From what you've played, is it worth paying the money to upgrade and then subscribe. (24 hour opinion I know, but still). Your input is appreciated.Tubbles2 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 monks do monks need staf or dual wield those 1 handed maces from darkmoon fiare for 110 tickets for dps?Rotingzombie1 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Getting back the passion for WoW. I was thinking today, that this is the first world of warcraft release that I have not stood in line for at my local store for a midnight release. This made me very sad, and not because I don't have the new expansion or an active account, but because I just don't care all that much anymore. When I first started playing, back in vanilla, and all the way through wrath (I took some breaks now and again) the game seemed filled with wonder and excitement. I had real passion for this game, which sounds silly because it is just a game, but I did. Exploring a new area, fighting a new foe, reading new lore, all of it was exciting. I remember actually feeling frightened for my character, and Misi here was more then just pixles to me. I was on an RP-PvP server with her back then, and she, like the world was alive and vibrant. I've forged friendships that are still there, even though most of us don't play anymore. I spent a very large portion of my life during that time in Azeroth and it was some of the most amazing times I've ever had. But now... not so much. Cataclysm was fun, and interesting, and all of that, but I didn't get past some heroics on any of my characters. It just seemed lackluster, despite all of the really awesome stuff they put in. And now I sit here, no active account, no new expansion, and instead of excitement and a sense of wonder, I am filled with an empty spot inside myself. A kind of sadness, I suppose, for an era gone, for the loss of something that was once very important to me. So my question to any of you who may read this (I know it's not in the right forum, but I have limited posting access) is, how do I get it back? Is there any way to get it back? The passion? The drive? The sense of wonder and adventure? I want so bad to want to play again, but I just can't find it in me. I've tried almost every MMO on the market, and nothing seems to fill the void that WoW has left. Does anyone have any advice? Or is it gone forever? It seems silly, but it feels like something has died...Misiko5 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Dawn's Blossom quests in mist I can't find no more quests there. Are they more somewhere else?Ravion2 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Help! Ran out of quests in Mists of Pandaria! I honestly do not know what happened. I ran out after the Chopper quests where you shoot them down, the indentured servant quest, and one one where you had to kill the strongarm laborers or w/e. I did not do the quest where you have to kill the generals, as they were being AoE'd and was told multiple times you did not have to do it. Now I have ran out of quests, I backtracked back to the temple where the orc was yelled at by the pandarian not to start a war. Could not find a single quest... Please help!Xenocloud1 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Story of Warcraft This was mentioned on WoW Insider and on the Warcraft twitter feed, but I figured I should toss up a thread here too. There's a new lore resource on the WoW website called "Story of Warcraft" - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter1 It goes through every game and patch to explain the lore/story and main plot for the Warcraft universe. It's pretty thorough and could be handy when showing newbies a very general place to start learning the story. From there they could pick out specifics to look up on Wowpedia. Unfortunately it doesn't include the books, but it's still pretty good. Enjoy!Icedragon31 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 how to reset achievements Hi, How can you reset achievements in the game? I want to start totally fresh at zero achievements earned but the game now keeps history of achievements that I earned in the past with new characters. Any way around this? Thanks!Dylanb1 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 subscription? Do you get a 30 day subscription when you buy the expansion?Draziw3 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 An issue with one of my abilities? Im fairly new to WoW and today when i was doing a quest something weird happened to me. I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong unknowingly or if it was something out of my control, but Im no longer able to use my ability on the "2" key. I was trying to dismount my horse and was kind of button mashing to fight something, but afterwards the spell just wasnt available. Its not on cooldown or anything, its just that dark shade that shows I cant use it. Did i somehow disable/lock the ability accidentally, or is there something wrong? Logging out and then back in didnt seem to fix the problem either. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!Caesarus4 Sep 26, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Can't find THE class. Well I'll start off with a bit of background. -Played Feral in WOTLK and it frustrated me to the point of no return. -Just came back after quitting 2 months into Cata. So basically I can't find the right class for me, I have two real life friends I play with most of the time and they both have a class that they love, but I just can't find mine. I've tried most of the classes, except Warriors, Warlocks, Priests, and Rogues. I'm not to keen on leveling a DPS class as it takes a while but I guess I will if I really like it. I mostly prefer melee but I haven't really tried a caster extensively besides a hunter (If that counts lol?) Anyways if somebody could give me some advice or help it would be greatly appreciated. If anymore info is needed just ask!Wuubz5 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 What is this set? http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_marppiy1TO1rgfw93o1_500.jpg All the gear minus the shield and weapon, can anyone name all of this? I'm familiar with the leggings and thats about it. :s Any help is greatly appreciated.Zauhna2 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 why is my damage so terrible? I feel like i'm doing everything I can, but my damage is pitiful! i've tried all three specializations and none seem to be up to par with other damage dealers. what's up?Okixxik5 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Hunter or Mage? I can only pick one class to level from 85-90 because of school and work but I can't pick which one!! Could I get some pro's and con's of each and your personal opinion on which one you would roll? :)Skywolf4 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Mage Help Please! Hello! I really want to be a mage, but I find it the most difficult class ever! Can you all give me some great tips on how to be an awesome mage! Great ideas on staying alive and managing to survive mobs hitting you hard close up? Ways to get away when they move in on you before you can get second spell off? What are the best spells for a newbie like me to use? Any good techniques that I should know? Anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!Tanneth13 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Looking for players Hello all I am completly new to WoW and just looking for a group to level / play with and most importantly teach me group rolls. I am currently playing on the greymane server and have a vent server all our welcome as long as your friendly and patient pm or reply for detailsGerwig2 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 MoP Digital Deluxe Edition Questions I'm new to WoW and want to upgrade from a trail version to a retail copy. My question is: Will this digital deluxe edition of MoP be all i need in terms of full game content? (previous patches, expansions, etc) or will i need to buy more than this? The deluxe edition comes with the battle chest, cata, and MoP. *I know there is a monthly feeKajario2 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 So the last time I played WoW was before lich Besides trying the trial version months ago to see how it has changed, I haven't played the game on a daily basis since right before Lich King was released. I am wanting to get back in the game and I saw the resurrection scroll helping me get to 80 and I have a bunch of friends that I can play with and such. My question is, if I started the game up again with all the expansions would leveling and getting armor and such be pretty easy? I am not much of a hardcore gamer but I want to jump in the action and get gear and participate in PvP and such. I am just afraid I'll be completely lost and clueless if I start up again after not playing for so long.Ximer4 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Are healers still darn near impossible to kil So I stopped playing mid way through Cata--did some pvp, a little raid and I noticed that even with my necrotic strike which sucks up heal and my diseases it took me FOREVER to kill an equally geared healer. Now that MoP is out I am on the fence on getting back into some WoW but I would probably reroll a healing class if they are still a headache to deal with. And I heard the blizzard made players "harder to kill" in pvp....can somebody elaborate on that? thanks.Eggsplode3 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Could I roll a rogue in cloth boa? for the exp bonus, besides looking funny is there anything bad about this? too late for me to farm JC :(Ash2 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 When I sell stuff to NPC's I lose money Hi there, when I try to sell an item to an NPC I lose some money. My copper goes down from 25 to 2, but my silver goes from 22 to 25. Is this some sort of glitch or was this intentional? Thanks.Talcyond3 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 SoR question I just received an SoR from someone and came to his server but he is on alliance and I'm on horde. With the SoR, I received a free faction transfer, it shows up next to my characters name. Does the faction xfer that comes with SoR remain there until I use it, or does it expire? I need to know, because I was gonna try and find a raid guild on horde and if I cant, Ill just hop to alliance. But if it expires, Ill just switch to alliance now.Pwnism2 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Good laptop to run WoW with?? Hello again. I was just wondering the sager np9130. I'm not looking to run awesome ultra high setting, maybe one or two notches down from that? I will occasionally be raiding, but mostly bg and arena play. Any incite will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you. http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-clevo-p151em1-p-4340.html?gclid=CMrJyeb3ybICFQJp4Aod7gcANgAnarchious9 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 digital download??? Not sure if this is the right forum, I bought a digital copy of mop on friday, but was away for the weekend and just got around to pre downloading it. Have looked everywhere in my battle.net account and can't find where you download it???Thelongnight10 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Warcraft Elimination Game: Classes & Races How did I manage to post this in the New Player forums? Sorry...Vythrin2 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 honor and justice points Should I spend them or keep for mop gear? Idk whats happening some ppl are say you won't have honor and justice points when mop comes out and some are saying you will. So whats happening?Ravion4 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Is there a PvP zone in MoP? Similar to Baradin Hold/Wintergrasp? Does MoP have this?Pwnism3 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 Returning player (Maybe) Questions 1.) What are scenario's like? (I played LOTRO and they seem similar to skirmishes in LOTRO... Also, do scenarios have a lockout timer?) 2.) Did they change fishing/archeology? In Cataclysm, fishing/archeology really didn't have any cool stuff at 85... Fishing didn't have anything to it besides getting fish to cook. Did they add anything to either of these professions for level 90? Like rare fishing finds that sell for gold or archeology items at 90? 3.) I'm looking for a new realm to start at level 1 on. I'm east coast, so I will be rolling on an east coast DATACENTER server. (Time zone doesnt matter, just dataenter) Here are my options for server: http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter Nightfall/Retaliation/Stormstrike battlegroup servers are my choices. I'm looking for a highly populated server. I'm rolling alliance. 4.) What do you get by doing the pet battle system? Is it purely for fun or are there rewads like XP? Gold? Items? 5.) Are there any changes 1-85 for the following things: Crafting? Leveling speed? 6.) Do cross-realm zones effect all servers? Does this make PvP servers more active or is it gonna make it griefers paradise in the low level zones? Not sure whether to roll PvP or PvE. 7.) PvP seems to have changed. There is now PvP power and PvP resilience... Does this make it so PvE gear does nothing in PvP? What were the reasons for this change? 8.) Is raiding still the same setup? 10/25M? Heroic and Normal? 9.) How many heroic 5-man dungeons will be at launch?Pwnism14 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 25, 2012 F2P Changes Are there any changes to F2P in MoP? I know we're getting the new skills and all but I mean did they add or take anything other away besides skills and stuff? I'm reinstalling the game right now to see if warriors in the 20-24 bracket will finally be viable.Rareloot3 Sep 25, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Newb question regarding realms and such Hi all, just started playing last week, started with a starter kit and upgraded this past weekend. When i first signed on, i guess i must have had them randomly assign me a realm. I am a normal (PVE) player and am in the Malygos realm, i have created 2 characters 1 horde and 1 alliance. Now that I am learning more as i read, i see that i am in a medium occupancy realm with a very low percentage of Horde. Which in my case is not a terrible thing since i am questing my butt off and trying to level up. It makes getting on the server easier...i think. And i rarely have to wait for monsters to complete quests, and if i do, i can just sit and wait for the respawn. I have a friend who did the RAF for me, and we are in different realms, i think i created that issue since i signed up for the starter before i got the RAF invite from them. I created new characters and had support delete the starter account with the characters i made but i was placed in the same realm i started in from the starter account. So my question is, did i screw up and will I have to transfer to a diff realm if mine gets to low or unpopulated status, the cost is $25 right?? Should i just bite the bullet now since i only have 1 character to transfer to a different realm?? I have not started playing the Alliance character yet, just created and entered the world once, i could delete it and just re-create it in the new realm. If i decide that i am getting bored with PVE in the future, can i change the account to PVP or do i have to start over or transfer again to a PVP server?? I guess that is a bit to chew on for now, i appreciate any and all responses. RudyQuorraabeth5 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Question about weapons :P Ok so im playing arms warrior and im wondering what is the best 2h weapon for pvp. im not sure what does what. Ik a 2h sword hits fast but i also herd that axes can cause a bleed or something? idk and also maces can cause a stun? maybe im wrong but i need help choosing a weapon ha im a human warriorSmashyou2 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 what class / spec benfits most from mastery ? .. or are they all importantVyndorathran8 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Please Help Me Pick My Race Hey, Thanks to this wonderful community I've decided to play as a Rogue as my first character. Now I've got to pick which race I want to play as. Does the race matter in terms of which class you play as, or is it just for appearances only? Does each race have a huge back story or do you just make up your own? Also what is the difference between a gnome and a dwarf? Sorry about the noobish questions but I've only started yesterday. Thanks from Cubies. <3Cubies10 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Glyph Slots - which is which? Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I searched everywhere for it and could find it. Does it matter what slot you place a glyph in? There are three different looking slots in the glyph panel? Why are they different? I'm guessing that one is for a Prime, one for Major and one for minor, but how can you tell which is which? Thanks!Longbarrel9 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 can't raid?? I played WoW about 3 years ago and got to about lvl 30 and stopped playing. I recently got it back and my highest character is 68. I was really looking forward to doing raids, but it says there are no raids available for my lvl in the raid finder. I thought raids opened up at 60 with the vanilla raids. am i doing something wrong? or do i need to be max lvl to do raids?? :'( someone help me out on this.Oxidefg2 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Time to take a warrior to level 90? Sorry to bug the new players forum but I just couldn't find any articles in the warrior forums about this particular question. As the title states I am curious to know the estimated time it's gonna take me to level a warrior to the new level cap of 90? Keep in mind ill probably be leveling that particular toon somewhere between 4-6 hours per day. And suggested specs to take to perhaps speed up the process. I know I could use the scroll of resurrection to put me at 80, but warrior is a class I feel I have to level up to get the full grasp of and fully enjoy it by leveling it up. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!! :)Anarchious8 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Crossed sword on BG menu What do the crossed swords next to BG names mean?Dragonjts4 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Will there be a 10 day free trial of MoP I don't have the money or time to really play WoW right now. As bad as I want to and as bad as I want to purchase MoP and join in on the adventure and challenges of Pandaria, it's not in the books right now. However, I'd still like to try MoP for 10 free days and when I go on my account, there's an option for 10 day free trial but it's not click-able yet. Does anyone know when I'll be able to click on it and try it free for 10 days? Will it be right when MoP comes out? If I had the money, I'd probably buy it immediately even though I don't have much time but I would work around it somehow. But, unfortunately, I'm a little short on the dough right now and there are other things I need to buy for myself.Gunitsoldier5 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 How important is ping in Wow? TLDR: Is 90 ping good enough for WoW or should I take my free character transfer (from scroll of rez) and head to a server with 40 ping bringing 1 lvl 85 and my heirlooms. (leaving behind a 85, 80, 70, and a few lower lvls) ? Both servers are high/full pop PvP servers. My starting server is Kil Jadaen but it is in LA and im in NY. The server I have the option of a free transfer to is Bleeding Hollow which is in Chicago and much closer to me. I just dont know if it is worth switching for a 40 ping instead of 90. If this was an FPS, yes of course, but I dont know if a ping difference like that matters that much in WoW. Could you please give me your advice? I actually dont mind the idea of starting new toons, but not sure if I should. I would probably never pay for a transfer in this situation (im poor anyways) but I thought maybe I should take the chance while I have it. Thank you for any help, have a good one.Yish13 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 hit cap in mop Powerdude2 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Help with dungeons Hi everyone; So I fairly recently hit 85 for the fist time with my DK, and began looking at end-game content. almost all the leveling I've done has been solo through quests, so I was curious as to how the social aspects of the game work. I did a little PVP and really didn't like it, it seems to require a lot of specialized gear and serious practice, and I'm really just not that competitive. So I thought doing dungeons might be fun, and I saw there's a random dungeon feature that would reward you for playing any dungeon other people want to run. That sounded great, so I tried it. It did not go well. I tried tanking a few dungeons, but it's surprisingly hard to hold aggro and as it turns out, you need specialized gear to tank that I don't have. I did learn more about my class and about gear, but it came at the expense of being yelled at and kicked a lot-not fun. So after doing some reading and research, I decided to try reforging a little and doing damage. That should be a bit easier, right? Wrong. I died four or five times over the course of the first dungeon I ran-pretty much every time we faced a major boss. The healer kept telling me not to stand next to the monsters, but I'm a melee class...how can I do damage if I don't run up to the monster and hit it? I'm used to City of Heroes, where as long as you know how your class works, you can pretty much deal with anything the game throws at you. This is pretty clearly not the case in WoW. I don't understand how people can know all the details about all these bosses in all these dungeons, and the intricacies of their class and gear, and use all this information in battle where you have runes to watch and refresh periods to monitor and you own health bar, in addition to that of the bad guy, to watch. I just get completely overwhelmed. Is this something other people find easy, and I should just give up and find something else to do? How do experienced players learn all this stuff? If I can't do dungeons then I certainly can't raid, and if I'm not interested in PVP that doesn't seem to leave much to do at end-game except go level alts. Help me, New Player Forum Gurus!Soltinus19 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Fastest way to level Pre-MoP? I stopped playing after I hit 85 on a few toons. Cata just wasn't appealing. Coming back and I leveled a character to level 43 half way through quests then the last half through dungeons. I want to get to max level as fast as possible and I was wondering if anything changed with 5.0.4 that could impact whether quests, dungeons or bgs could level you faster. I have full heirlooms if that impacts anything. Any answers would be appreciatedDoublet1 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 Class help (For friend) Posting this for a friend while he gets his WoW and stuff set up. Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet? Doesn't Matter. Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor? He prefers more bulk. What have you played in other games before? Maybe you played a caster in another game and liked it, or have a fondness for barbarians/warriors. WoW might have a rough equivalent for you! He's been a guard in other games. Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells? He'd like to be able to heal, but hes fine without it. Which is your preference: attacking enemies from a distance or being up in their faces? Right up in their face. Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat? Ripping out internal Organs. Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe? Front Lines Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet? They have not decided. Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already? No, I have not read about any classes / played any of them yet. Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history. Yes, I am interested in the lore, so preferably (Lowest priority) I'd like to have a class with a bunch of history. Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to). Not really interested in RP. Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down. The Orcs and Dwarves appeal to me. They seem pretty cool.Vythrin3 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 24, 2012 wind riding where can i learn the wind riding skill? im a level 60 worgenNorrillin2 Sep 24, 2012
Sep 23, 2012 Guild Vault help I started a guild but when accessing the vault it says i dont have a tab available. does the guild have to lvl for the first tab to even open or is there something i am missing?Ragetanker2 Sep 23, 2012
Sep 23, 2012 Leveling with tank or heals I am about to start a new tank and healer and would like to know if leveling just in dungeons with full heirloom set would be faster then questing and doing dungeons?Lunareclipz5 Sep 23, 2012
Sep 23, 2012 Open World PvP on a PvP Server (CRZ question) I have been leveling this toon on an RP server. With CRZ now in effect, I do see more players around. However, it's not been anything too exciting. While leveling in old Azeroth, I might have seen two other players per zone. Is it any different on a PvP server while leveling? It'd be fun to level another toon and get sporadic world PvP now and then!Felforge2 Sep 23, 2012