New Player Help and Guides

Aug 30, 2012 No more ranged weapons? Just finally got on line after the Looooong time DL. I see that all my alts no longer have a ranged weapon slot. Who can use ranged weapons now or are they totally gone. I'm really confused now and haven't even got going yet.Geodir10 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 First time Cataclysmic So this is my first time getting Cataclysmic gear for my Hunter. What gems do I want to attach to it?Anurion3 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 Healer or DPS? 'sup I'm thinking of rolling my 1st alt, but can't decide whether I should go for DPS or healing. DPS seems to be easier on average, but there's an oversupply of these classes, whereas heales are always hard to find, make them easier to find groups. Opinions?Pzkpfw37 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 NEW player plz help hey guys im really new to this game and im not happey to start at the bottem at level 1... how fast is it to levelFishies4 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 How to choose your class as a new player This is just a little overview for players who are new to WoW that are wondering what roles each class fills. This is just a basic overview of each class to give you guys a feel for the class role. Here it is as follows: Priest- Cloth wearer, low hp, healer, hard to solo with due to lack of damage but are almost always needed in a group of players. Hunter- Ranged dps, wears leather at lower levels and can upgrade to mail, good damage dealer, has a variety of pets, great soloists Warrior- Can be damage dealers or tanks ( takes all the damage), wears plate, high hp and damage, needed in a group, good soloists Warlock- Ranged damage dealer ( Caster), relies on their pets to help with damage output, can summon people to groups, cloth wearers, has a variety of dot spells ( Damage over time) Paladin- Can be tanks, dps, or healers, Wears plate, good soloists, can fill any role, good damage output, Rogue- Damage dealers, can become invisible, can pick locks, wears leather, high damage output, many stuns, good soloists Shaman- Can be damage dealers or healers, wears mail armor, can summon totems to help with healing/damage output/mana recovery for your group, can shapeshift into spirit forms for faster travel Druids- Can heal, tank or dps, can shapeshift into different forms to help utilize your role, can turn into flying/ground mounts for faster travel, good soloists, can fill any role, wears mail Deathknights- Wears plate armor, has self healing abilities, can tank or dps, great damage output, good soloists, has a minion to assist in battle Mage- Wears cloth, great damage output, is a ranged dps caster, has a minion if you spec in the right category, can slow/freeze enemy or cause Dot burns, good soloists if you spec minon however lack mobility in close range fighting As i said before this is just an overview, if you feel you could add something to the list please do! Hope this helps all those newcomers, Have fun in the World of Warcraft!Legilus4 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 Good server for starting A friend of mine is gonna try a free to play toon and Im wondering what would be a good server for him. Kind of a good starting lvl population, PvP server. He doesnt want to be on mine cuz of population issues. He wants to play a Worgen so it would ahve to be a good alliance server.Anurion3 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 Finding Fel Iron Deposits Hi I have been searching for fel iron deposits to mine & the only place I have come across yet is blasted lands.There is some there although it is few & far between.Does anyone have any suggestions where I can go next?I like getting the mats myself & do not want to go on the ah so any suggestions would be appriciated thanx!Pschyco3 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 New patch ... I was planning on coming back but on paper, not actual experience, the patch changes mainly the new talent system seems just awful. Not just a step backwards they pretty much jumped off the cliff behind them. But of course im only reading this on paper mostly through tinkering with the talent calculator. In short is the new talent system enjoyable like the old ? It seems like it would take the fun out of leveling. I liked the every other lvl small improvements. Now it seems like if one of the 3 skills in a set really dosnt appeal to you. You have to burn through a 30 level grind for the next talent and hopefully one of those 3 is appealing. And i personally like the +% bonuses it seems like those are just non existent now. They were a good way to customize your character to your liking. Now it seems really dumbed down. Again this is just reading i haven't actually played the new patch yet in fact i haven't played in years.Deadlypeanut7 Aug 30, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Where do I sign in to actually PLAY the game? I can sign in for lots of stuff that won't get me in to play. What web page do I go to for actually Playing the game. I just signed up for the free gaming for now and played a bit. but, now can not find my way back in.Alort8 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 about buying game.... Can I just buy Cataclysm and skip the Lich king?Shayes4 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Never played a lock before I plan on leveling one...what spec should I be for leveling? Because I have absolutely no ideaKrestar3 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 class with the least spells/rotation? yess im looking for a more simple class to play because i hate tons of key binds, i would prefer a healer off spec dps but it seems hybrids have the most keybinds :(Sixis1 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Question about Heroics Alright, so, Culling of Stratholme Heroic is levels 80-82. I was wondering if I get to 85, could I still do that Heroic? Like, not queing for it, but could I run to the instance itself in Tanaris, and set it as a heroic so I can do it? Even though I am 85? Or did Blizzard disable this? Thanks :)Ippiki7 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 The lament of a Veteran player. I still remember, that fateful day in 2004, when I came across WoW.The game has grown with me from High school to the woman I am now.WoW, like any other game, had its ups and downs, the usual mood swings and the not so pleasant community.I still remember my heart almost popping out when I FINALLY got my Warglaives Of Azzinoth on my rogue.Those were the glorious BC/Vanilla days, with the blood pumping story line and the awesome Dungeons/Raids. Then came along WOTLK, another award to Blizzard's already overflowing shelf.Resplendent,Icy Northrend with it's own rustic beauty.A treasure trove of Raids and Dungeons to down and myriad stories to share with Guildies. The Legacy of Arthas almost melted the icy terrain(according to me at least.) Cataclysm came along with much grandeur, but proved to be a massive disappointment for some in the end.I personally had no gripe with Cata, but the lack of an enthralling story made me cancel my subscription for around 6 to 7 months.Then came the updates with DS, etc.Resubbing for a few months, I kinda thrashed good 'ol Deathwing till he looked like that strip of Bacon I had for breakfast.With no new content after that, I soon began to feel the lapse.........and realized that I was burning out. One month later, I heard of MoP.Being a former Warcraft player, the aspect of playing Pandaren excited me.However, after learning that the talent system was going to be revamped with a few nerfs here and there, I began to grow suspicious,wondering if it was worth it to continue. The proud owner of eleven level 85s, I was about to add two more months of game time on the 28th of August, the moment the two hour extension finished when I then realized what had happened to the game after patch 5.0.4. Yeah, I almost had a heart attack. The talents/spec/rotation I had gotten so used to that I knew it by heart, I had to learn again. The thousands of hours spent on farming mounts on each of my alts were now account wide.Kind of beat the purpose of leveling an alt to learn that I would be farming bosses only for gear....the thrill of obtaining a mount again going "poof". Hunters, Hunters, Hunters.Really, It would be more justifiable to call them "Archers" after this patch. Taking Auras away from poor Pally :( Mana Cap.Really??.Kind of takes the uniqueness of casters and it was fun to poke fun at a person who had lower Mana than you.( hAhaz u no haev hi mana!) Though I would like to rant more to vent my frustration, I would like to thank Blizzard, my Guild, and the community for making this game enjoyable for me for 9 years :).I wish you the best of luck on your "Pnanda" ventures( No sarcasm :)) I know this is the wrong forum to post this on, but as of this minute my account has expired(Before I could post on it :() and I would just like to Shout out to all my guildies at <Forever Veterans> and Whittle and the great community on Silverhand, Baelgun and Wrymrest accord.Thank you all for a great time.My finances and the burn out :/ don't make me feel like continuing but you never know.......Good luck WoW and keep growing! /I /Will /miss/you/guys/so/much. /love /hug/sniffle.Pheonixe5 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Rogue, Mage, or Priest? I am getting straight back into wow. I am looking to roll either a mage, rogue, or a priest. I will not fill out the survey either since I know what classes I might wish to roll. Please list Pros/Cons, Fun things each can do. :) PWEASERyh3 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 booty bay what lvl 1 race is the best choice to at booty bay faster?Skullbriar3 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Heirlooms for a pally or dk So I just got back into wow after about a year. I want to level a pally or dk maybe both. Which heirloom gear would be best to get so I only have to do it once for both toons: polished valor or burnished might? I have enough for two armor pieces. Should I do one of each? Also should I wait for mop pr will prices go up? Thanks Edit: sorry about the sp and grammar im on my phone at workKommon6 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 cant get on wow i cant get on wow the only way i can get on wow is if i have a Mist of Pandaria Disc cus it says "please insert disc number 1" i have no disc!Holybleu1 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 is MOP out? so is it? Mist of Pandaria is it out?Holybleu1 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Paladin mastery I've been googling for over an hour. Does Mastery still only kick in at 80+? I saw the stat guide says mastery is the top stat for a protection paladin, but I'm assuming they mean for 80+ chars. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!Brycery1 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Move info When I go to click on a move on my action bars only the name of it shows up. Is there a way to make it also say what it does so I don't have to remember em all?Baddies3 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Ideas on how to play with disability? I have a disability where it is hard for me to use the number/wasd keys and the mouse. For me when I play I have to manually click on the spells that I want. For PvE this isn't bad, but for PvP, RAIDS/Instances etc. obviously this makes me much worse. I was curious if anyone has any thoughts on how it could make it easier for me to play effectively while still being able to use all my spells and attacks. It's not that I physically can't press them, but it's very uncomfortable for me to.Galphrett24 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Somewhat silly question I guess.... So I am currently playing on a starter edition account, meaning that lovely level 20 XP cap.... now I had an account prior to this one that was compromised and am planning on restarting my WoW experience. Now, for my question: If a character hits the Level 20 Cap and keeps turning in say, quests - will that XP rollover upon upgrading to the full Wow? or is it just lost in space somewere never to be found again??Lahvee3 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Stupid question about the achievements screen What does the blue banner mean? Does that mean it's account wide?Steelius2 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Do your dailies? So now that im 85 im trying to find out how to make a decent amount of gold outside of my professions. Everyone always tells me to do dailies but is there a list of the best ones to do or a specific zone that is good for doing them for gold?Mizzbor5 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Random New Questions So im starting over, and im fairly new, i havent played in awhile. Im starting on a Ret Pal, Wanting to hit 85 before i touch anything else and im RAF'D with a friend so i should be there pretty quick. But my really old account has a 80 Rogue, should i transfer it to this account to just have a back up toon to play on besides the pal? Ill have to Transfer and switch faction also.Pulls3 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 Patch 5.0.4. Omg i cant wait till that new patch to come out i wanna be a worgan & and a goblin so fraking bad ... thumbs up for wowTalagan16 Aug 29, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Silly question about 5.0 Hey guys! (Told you I'd be back with more questions! :p) Alright, so this is probably a silly question and I feel really stupid asking it and that's why Im here and not in any of the other forums. So, the patch is today. And something has been on the background downloader for a week or two. I've been told that the background download was 5.0. If I've already finished that background download last week, do I have any patching downloads to do today (besides the 'downloading updated tools' download)? Also, I've heard there are a lot of things the launcher has to do before it's available to play. What else would it have to do? Thanks for bearing with me! <3Sandse8 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 MoP and Glyphs So, with MoP and the new patch hitting Tuesday (right?) Glyphs will be changing. Are they worth getting at this point? I have the ability to get a glyph for my warlock but still being new to the game I'm a little confused at the upcoming changes. Are the glyphs changing drastically to not improve game-play/spell casting by the next patch?Lothieriel5 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Need Help Picking a Class for MOP Hey guys I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask what class I should pick next. I'm going to most likely reroll with some new college friends and I want some advice on what class would be enjoyable to play in MOP. Thanks :) •What have you played before? How far did you level it? Druid(All specs): Lvl 85 Pally(Holy): Lvl 85 Priest(All specs): Lvl 70 Hunter(All specs):Lvl 85 Death Knight(Blood/Frost): Lvl 85 Shaman(Enchance): Lvl 22 •Describe what you liked and disliked about those classes. Be detailed! Druid: I loved everything about my druid. My issue was that I always kept switching between specs instead of just sticking with one spec. I mainly played feral kitty dps. Pally: I could not tank or dps on my pally to save my life but I enjoyed playing and healing with her. Priest: Wish I kept leveling this guy I really enjoyed the healing style of the priest. Wasn't too great at shadow dps. Hunter: I really enjoyed collecting pets and felt like hunter dps was almost too easy compared to feral druid dps. Death Knight: I got really bored of my death knight and didn't enjoy playing him after I got him to lvl 85. It just felt too easy and overpowered. Shaman: I enjoyed playing my shaman. I don't know if they get boring at higher levels or not. •With a friend or alone? What's your friend going to be leveling? Most likely a combination of both. Leveling with my new friends and also solo leveling. I know one of my friends is rolling a priest. Not sure what the others are rolling. •Are you leveling via PvE or PvP? Chain-running dungeons? I will most likely be chain running dungeons and only doing PvP for a break inbetween. I will also quest at lvl 80-85 because questing is the fastest way to level. •Will you be doing primarily raids/dungeons at level cap (PvE) or knocking the opposing faction in the balls over a flag (PvP)? I love to do both PvP and PvE so I will most likely be doing a combination of both. •Will you be multiboxing or just playing a single character? Single Character •Race preference? Either for looks or the actual racials (or lore!). Horde: Troll, Goblin, Tauren, Undead, and Blood Elf Alliance: Human, Night Elf, & Worgen •Heals/tank/DPS? What's your style for DPS - melee or ranged? I enjoy playing all the rolls. I'm fine with up close and personal and far away. I do prefer healing or tanking for more control. •Any favorite game mechanics? (DoTs, HoTs, stealth, mana, etc) I like the ability to stealth but it's not neccessary. •Hybrid or pure? Does it matter? Doesn't matter. •Pet or temporary pet or none at all? Does it matter? Doesn't matter. •Throw in any extra details here: Just looking for a fun class to try out and play in Mists of Pandaria. :)Healingbeef0 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Server choice Hi so I can only post here since I'm inactive atm not really new but coming back and I need to find a good server. I've always thought that the RP servers had a good community with them and was thinking about going to one of them, I have a couple of friends that are ok with pvp so its not an issue. We're also looking for a large server, I've heard Moongaurd is great outside Goldshire but not much else. Anyone have any opinions on the best large RP(pvp or not) server? Thanks ^.^Maugris3 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Lore for New Players: The Horde Hello there guys, so I've been searching around the Internet trying to find a wiki or a video about the Horde and its background, So I stumbled upon a video on YouTube that explains the lore for Horde from point A to B. I thought the video was so great I decided to share it with you guys. Here is the link: ( Sorry for the spelling mistakes English is not my native language) Also the video is 1 hour longDinuster0 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 First Toon at 85..... and using DF to get points for gear. But right now I'm just baffled at how many people leave on a dime, are extremely rude, or are super silent, yet kick me for the most trivial things I can't possible do. As a fresh 85 with low-level gear doing heroics, I can't prevent deaths and wipes if the tank thinks I can handle bosses with half mana. Is this the norm? I've used DF for quite a while, but this is an entirely new world for me..... How do I cope? How do others cope? Edit: Yes, I know I'm missing slots on my profile, I logged out without them. I wear everything in dungeons though. Edit 2: Just spent about 3000 gold for some fairly nice gear. Hope its worth it.Vespereva9 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Couple things and questions.(+Help on 0% bug) For those who stuck on 0%, Just try to do: *Restart the internet *Start Wow as administrator *Start Wow, leave it for 10min, after that close, open again, and after 15min+- it should work *Disable Firewall *Disable Anti-virus *Go into Safe-Mode with internet and open Wow *Talk to God or for the nerds blablabla... "Blizzard" *Good luck =) ______________________________________________________________________ Btw Blizzard, you sucked with: 1.Add more power to mages... 2.40% more dmg reduce in Pvp for healers, tankers... 3.Same Graphic's engine ______________________________________________________________________ 1.When can we play already? 2.Can I buy 20 days, not 30? Thanks = )Ãssassin5 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 How do i see when i get forum response? How do i quickly see when i get a forum response or somone replies in a thread? atm i just have different threads bookmarked and have to refresh also is there a way to have responses sent via cell phone?Vikaelz6 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 HP/JP on an unused champ. Now that this paladin's close to lvl 85 I've started to realize that I don't want to make it my main 85. Instead I want to run a shaman or druid. The main problem is that I now have about 5k total hp/jp on this toon and don't know what to do with it. Is there any other way to use it to benefit other characters other than getting heirlooms? URGENT: When are points getting reset?Lagerfeldta3 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Scroll of Resurrection Coming back to the game, in need of a Rez. please reply or send to my characterFlyk3 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Monthly Sub Ok so I am finally downloading the games right now. I did not realize that I was going to have to sign up for a monthly subscription if I bought the full games ... What I want to know is what happens if I cant pay for the next month? Is my game play restricted or limited somehow? Thank YouLogandourden15 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Maintenance for a week! ok so im confused and mad why is WoW been in maintenance for 1 week! i need answers fast!Holybleu7 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 Argent Turni Dailies don't show up! Help! I have been trying to get my achievement for 150 pets and I need the argent turni pets to do so. I have been told that I can still access the dailies but when I do fly over the grounds the dailies don't show up. Is there a special quest line that I need to do? Do I need to finish all the quests in Icecrown first? Could someone please help me out with this. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank youSeendra3 Aug 28, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 Where can I send a thank you to blizz? I’m not trying to suck up to Blizz or anything, so I hope people don’t get that idea from this post, lol – but I really wanted to send a nice feedback/thank you email or ticket or something to Blizz, if that’s possible? I recently had a few tickets lodged on my account and I was really thankful for what Blizz did. They’ve always been so awesome in the past, too… Is there an email or something I can forward a nice email or something to? Thanks !Quigg3 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 LF RaF partner ( I recruit you, Thrall PvE) Vengeful2 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 High-level Equips Not to sound like a COMPLETE noob. But where do people get full sets of purple equips? Is it by running heroics? Buying them? Or some other way that I don't know about yet? I'm boggled at the amount of purples on people I see randomly around Stormwind that are -80 and sometimes even -70Lagerfeldta18 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 Help with Kiting Hello there! So on my mage, Im questing in Uldum, and I've run into a little bit of a problem. Im doing the quest "The Pit of Scales" and Im kinda stuck. According to Wowhead comments, I need to kite the guy around the pool and into the croc eggs, but, see, here's the problem. I dont know how to kite. At all. Im kinda sucky like that. Anyway, does anyone have any tips on how to learn to kite? (Also, while Im here, mind taking a quick look at my mage to see how Im doing? Are there any problems (besides the trinket. I know, it's bad. The old one was from very early BC content though and I needed SOMETHING to replace it. I have bad RNG on dungeon drops, so I had to go with that)? Anyway, here's my mage! ) Thank you guys! <3 Edit: /facepalm Forgot to switch back to my posting toon after getting the link to Litria. Anyways, it's Sandse! :)Litria19 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 How to make all my toons keybindings... on my main I checked 'Character Specific Key Bindings' so it only affects my main character. I would like these keybinds on all my characters is there a way to reverse this without redoing my whole key binds?Sixis3 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 Question about recruit a friend. Does the friend have to buy the game including all of the expansions to receive the benefits from recruiting? I want to recruit my girlfriend but I don't think she'll ever actually make it past lvl 70 so i recommended that she just buy the battle chest which is currently only 5 dollars. It says a "full version" does that mean a non starter edition or all of the expansions?Battlefire4 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 how can i avoid lvl 85 ganks while questing? It never particularly was a problem until i hit lvl 60 and went to the hellfire !@#$%ula, now it seems like lvl 85s exclusively from the opposite faction camp there religiously. Is there anyways to avoid this? besides avoiding the area all together?Deathbanè3 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 Time Zone Troubles I live in Ontario and go by EST time tone. I recently rerolled a toon on Korgath and it seems the time on that server does not line up with my local time, even though the server is listed as EST server. My toon on Bleeding Hollow is in sync with my local time and it being listed as a EST server. So why is Korgath 1 hour behind, while BH is the same, even though both being listed as EST?Naquada7 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 active servers? Hey all, just getting ready to come back to WoW for the... 10th time lol. Logged onto my old server on a trial accoutn and its DEAD! lookin for a good active pvp server. Preffer ballanced dont like one sided servers, need some server activity. ThanksSarzill2 Aug 27, 2012
Aug 27, 2012 Trying to Choose a Class. I started out with the philosophy of trying every class and seeing what I liked, but not having a clear idea of what I wanted to do in this game or what indicates that I like a class (being they all seem good so far), I thought it may be better to look into the classes and start out trying one that would be good for me. Thus far, I haven't been able to narrow down my options though reading guides and such, so I wanted to look to the community to see if I could get some help as to somewhere to start. I found the thread ( in this forum giving instructions on how to ask this question, so I thought I'd give it a shot. - Having a pet doesn't matter all too much to me, though it would be neat, I've had "Pet Classes" in other games, and usually prefer just to have to worry about myself, and not having to be super dependent on an NPC. - I can go with Lighter or Heavier Armour, as I've found most classes can make up for the lack in it, but I do feel heavier armour is nicer for how aggressive and impatient I tend to be =) - In other games I've played supportive classes and ranged classes (more so the latter than the former). I feel though I liked the ability to hang back and not get hit, and though I like being helpful in groups, I also enjoy taking damage roles as well. - If I had to choose between Ranged and Melee, I'd go with ranged for the ability to pull mobs from groups - however I don't mind so much if I can take all the hits. I don't do too well in squishier melee positions. - For aggressive vs. sneakier, I'm definitely more on the aggressive side when it comes to attacking. - On an additional note, I tend to like to fill harder-to-fill roles. - Race isn't too much of a problem, there are only a couple I probably won't play. I hope it all made sense, thanks very much for any feedback!Arthalion6 Aug 27, 2012