Death Knight

Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011
Frost DKs - explain to me... Why normal souldrinker is better than normal morchok's. Would you take it over a shield tank in your guild run? (LFR have at it...) From what I've seen on simulationcraft compared to Maintankadin, the numbers blow my mind that someone would consider this for dps. I want this to be a PSA to every frost DK out there with eyes on this prize. My Gm (who happens to be a frost DK awarded this item to a Dps over a tank) which I vehemently opposed, yet lost the argument (you can't fight city hall). First off, while some consider this your best in slot, you have another weapon in this tier. Souldrinker is a shield tanks ONLY in slot. Morchok's axe is a direct downgrade from the new 5 man weapons in terms of survivability, and a significant downgrade from heroic FL weapons (damage to us is gravy, not end of story). Second, simulationcraft ranks TWO souldrinkers as a 391 dps upgrade over morchok's axes. Basically, you have to take the only weapon a tank would want from both of your tanks. That is basically 196 dps per weapon (though MH I'm sure is probably slightly higher, and OH slightly lower due to white swings). http://simulationcraft.org/430/DK_DW_Weapon_Comparison.html Maintankadin (Theck - the guy blizzard named a ring after) is showing souldrinker on a hit capped tank to be at about ~23,500 dps. Compared to heroic obsidian cleaver/mandible at ~22,750. Not hit capped (which most tanks are not except for special cases like alysrazor), The difference is less dramatic - heroic obsodium cleaver being about equal in damage, and about a 200 dps difference from heroic mandible/normal cleaver. The difference is, Theck did NOT model the proc damage into his weapon rankings, so the damage will actually be higher. http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29317&f=6 Third, proc damage. The proc does not work like the 2h axe which scales on attack power - one of your primary stats. It scales with hit points. You dont stack stam as a primary stat, tanks already are, or will be depending on their gear. While I understand that the weapon damage will boost your oblits, FS, and white hits, it's 6 Ilvl over morchok's - and you lose the mastery and red gem slot for a ~15% chance on hit to do 2.6k damage (though the wol I've seen the DK that won it, it seems to be more in the 10-12% proc range). Tanks have significantly more hp than you in this tier, and it will only outpace you faster as CTC capped tanks push into stam stacking post cap. By tiers end, tanks will probably be in the 240k raid buffed range. Yes, we swing slower and hit less often, but the proc damage on our meter will be about 6% of our damage while yours will be about .5-1%. Basically, each hit from us is about 1.5x what yours will hit for. Simulationcraft even shows that souldrinker scales worse than morchok's as your gear improves. So while for you, this weapon does less comparable damage throughout the tier, for tanks, it will scale up in damage and healing. Fourth, the heal. While on you, a 4-5k heal that most of the time is overhealing is pretty trivial. On a tank, who's baseline proc will always be higher than yours, has talents that buffs the healing done by this proc. It averages 8k on most tanks, and on fights like madness, this can proc for 20k+ because it triple dips on the damage, health, and healing aspect buff. That's downright godly for a tank - especially on a fight like that where both tanks take pretty consistent damage. So please, enlighten me why you want this weapon. Bulimía64
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011
Need help improving dps I'm sure I'm going to get flamed or regret asking this but here goes nothing... I need some help knowing if I'm on the right track with reforging/gemming/enchanting and everything else. I do primarily PVP through BGs, no arena teams. I read about reforging and whatnot but I'm more confused than ever. I'm looking for some feedback on my current gear/stats and where I can improve. I read that for DK's the reforging should be mastery - hit - expertise I'm working on getting season 11 honor gear and conquest gear as I get the points. I "think" I reached the hit cap with reforging, but I'm not sure I'm reading the stats right. I "think" I'm close to the expertise cap, but again, I'm not 100% sure. Mastery has no cap, right? So what do you do? Just balance mastery w/hit and expertise? Before my reforging, my hit was around 5% but my crit was over 10%. I'm concerned that reducing Crit will reduce my DPS, but then I'm thinking that more hits = more consistent DPS and more chances to crit rather than the chance that I would hit a lower percentage and "hope" that hit was a crit. Am I right on that thinking or did I screw myself lowering crit? Before reforging, with this gear, I was doing about 10-12k DPS on average, sometimes hitting 13-15k. To me, that sounds incredibly low for my gear. I haven't tried DPS metering yet since reforging. What "should" my DPS be for my gear? Is it a gear issue or rotation/skill issue? My rotation (or priority) is outbreak, festering strike, rune strike, death strike, then sometimes boil blood, heart strike and necrotic strike. I keep bones and horn up all the time. The other problem I seem to be having is never enough rune power to use rune strike when I really want/need to use it. Any help or constructive feedback on how I can improve my DPS is appreciated. Please, I know it may be hard but try not to tell me to read the stickies or FAQ's or anything else, I've already done that until my eyes bleed and it just made me more confused. I am looking for specific points and answers to my questions on how I can improve not a simple L2P - if I want that, I'll go do random dungeons. Thanks! Faitaccompli2
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011