Sep 15, 2012 Trying not to be so die-y. I'm not an amazing PvPer, but I have been trying to get better. Part of that has been trying not to die as much. So far, my best record has been 21 KBs to 0 deaths(alternatively, 35 KBs to 1 death), but I still usually seem to die 1-3 times in every BG. Mostly, I've been making an effort to avoid situations that will put me in too much danger, and running away when I know the odds of survival are low. Do you high level PvPers have any tips for surviving better in PvP?Siebrennen13 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Sheldon plays a mage! I knew it...I had a hunch he was a rogue though.Bôrra12 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Mage counter? What classes beat you consistently?Twistedfury32 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Teleport: Theramore After the Theramore event, what is going to happen to our Theramore ports? And if they are removed, what will we get in their place, since Horde mages will still have Stonard? Also, at the end of Season 7 of The Office, why didn't they just make Jim the new manager?Aevex4 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 mage stat priorities what %s of stats should i aim for? any help would be awesome ty.Nagaseatkfc2 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 NEED HELP! Frost PvP I am prepared to get trolled for this, but I have ALWAYS been fire PvP, and I love it. But frost mages as of right now seem to be OP as hell, with insane burst damage (even better than fire's burst). I have one problem. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when I play frost. I know the object is to freeze targets and get IL and keep FB up as much as possible, but it seems like there is something I am just not doing. Can anyone maybe post a link to some sort of 5.0.4 frost mage guide for PvP? Or maybe just give me any tips that'll help. Thanks! StudliestStudliest1 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Fire mage and alysrazor Hello my fellow pyromaniacs,just wanted to know is it still possible for a fire mage to solo alysrazor as of prepatch. I know that the scorch trick will not work,since the mechanic of ignite has been changed. If there are other ways please tell :D want that mount so bad >.<Raienryuu18 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 pve frost can i remove deep freeze and.. for pve frost mage are fireblast (without glyph) and deep freeze useless?Sixis9 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Water Elemental Glyph Dear Blizzard, Could we please get a Water Elemental Glyph to place in our Minor glyph slot that reduces the size by about half? That would be great. Thanks!Mylkyudders4 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Aimed Shot. I understand it takes 3 seconds to cast. However, it hurts really bad. And besides, no interrupt will stop it, no damage will postpone it. And 40yard range is very very long.Aou3 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 How to beat rogues in a 1v1 or duels. I just want to make this because i play my mage in pvp only. I dont raid or anything like that so i sit in goldshire dueling. I have no problem with any classes and i have a nice understanding on how to beat them. But as for rogues its the exact same. (this is not to complain.) the only solution i have to this is a few tips that have gotten me close to beating them. I have won some buy just straight up blowing all my cooldowns and praying to beat them but other than that i try these things. Rogues: on start blink out of first kidney shot Cone of cold if he hasn't shadow stepped and place living bomb When he gets close frost nova and while running use scorch Now after they vanish i have no clue how to get past it. my dots are gone and he re opens. I try to repeat tactic and if it works then i try my basic rotation. I believe the listed above is trying to maintain till the second phase where vanish is on cooldown. but usually i find myself dead as soon as he vanishs and reopens on me. I would like to see any other tips on how to catch it because the only tips i can find is an outdated WoW wiki.Hakumen5 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 shatterplay question hello my fellow pvp mage enthusiast i wanted to know how shatter play would do with a restro druid instead of a shaman in coming up season and is there any tips and tricks i should know about that is not actually strait forward i do understand that's its my job to control the field and set up kill opportunities while my shadow priest keeps pressure up. my next question is now that shatter is in fire tree can fire work for this comp or do i need to be frost?Mounì7 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Frost Suggestion (Mage PoV) I am not saying that Frost is underpowered or that PvP wise needs a buff in any way shape or form. I am fully aware of my capabilities as Frost currently in a PvP setting and aware that it is ridiculous and needs to be nerfed/changed. If you are going to post on this thread please read it entirely so as to not make a complete fool of yourself. I get the feeling that Blizzard is trying to make Frost viable for PvE without overpowering it for PvP, and without completely changing how Frost spec play style is for PvP entirely. They have succeeded in making it slightly more viable than it used to be for PvE but in turn making it crazy overpowered for PvP, and still trailing behind Fire and Arcane for a PvE setting. I feel that Blizzard is going about this the wrong way. Perhaps this has been suggested before, perhaps it's just simply not possible, but I have an idea for buffing it for PvE without nerfing/completely changing it for PvP. (yes I know they need a nerf currently, I mean once they balance it out for PvP) Prepatch Deep Freeze used to do massive damage to targets permanently immune to stuns, bosses for example. They removed that, and I'm not entirely sure why. Here's a suggestion, why not make Frostbolt, Frostfirebolt, Ice lance, and Frost Bomb do X% increased damage to targets permanently immune to snare effects, such as bosses? And also make your pet's Freeze ability always grant 2 charges of FoF if it hits a target permanently immune to root/snare effects, even if it only hits 1 target? It would be essentially the same idea as prepatch boss DF damage, and would have no effect on PvP whatsoever. Another thought would be a glyph that replaces your Water Elemental with a different pet, that does significantly increased damage but no longer has a freeze ability and has significantly less health and an increased cooldown to summon one. Just food for thought.Magics11 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Crit rates drop? I was at 13-15% a few days ago and now much lower. Is this due to change in gear or deaths? What should I do to get my crit rate up again? Lol thanks in advance.Shaleh3 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Momentum Glyph Do you like it ? I absolutely do. I just love the fact that you can now decide where you really want to blink. Side backpedal blink is one of my favorite. People are so used to see us blink up front that when you blink in a different direction, sometimes the "WTF!?" reaction procs. It's a nice little plus for us imo. What do you guys think about that new feature ? Cheers!Vilebrequin11 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 PVP Power and Resil Greetings! I was wondering if any of you have experience with using pvp power and pvp resil gems? Is it worth it to take off my intellect and haste (reckless) gems and replace them with the power and resil gems? I seem to get bursted down very fast, and seems like my own burst and dps could be better in pvp. Thanks!Drashtan1 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 15, 2012 Lightning Rod off of Hagara? Anyone seen it drop? It's not listed in the dungeon journal but It's listed as a drop from her on wowhead.Mylune38 Sep 15, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Flamestrike Spell Just wanted others opinion on the Flamestrike spell, as a dedicated fire mage in PvE I have found with the recent changes that the usefulness of Flamestrike has been reduced greatly. Given the cast time, cooldown, loss of slow, and change in applying DoT's and getting procs, I just don't see alot of use for it right now unless I am missing something. The only time I have used it since 5.0.4 has literally been to give the healer some breathing room in Stonecore in a few JP runs when small trash mobs were pestering them. The spell is almost an afterthought, am I alone in this? Again if there is a change in usage or application that might be viable particularly in PvE I would definitely like to know.Ashfireburn28 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 If then statement macro Is it possible to make a macro that functions like this? Ex. If Deep Freeze is on cooldown then cast Cold SnapFruto5 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 my IL 371 ruth mage is 3 hitting people yes its broken and op I should not be 3 shotting 390 cata geared peopleMicheljföx4 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Arcane Mage Dps Hey I'm pretty sure my gear is fine but in dungeons but my dps is sort of failing compared to other players. I know I'm low level and this shouldn't matter but could you guys help me with my rotation and see if you can fix any errors in it? Rotation I do: Do Arcane Blast 2 to 4 times and use Arcane Missles if it's ready to get rid of stack. If not ready use Arcane Barrage. Repeat this until 25% mana and then use Evocation to gain mana back. Is this a fine rotation or am I doing something wrong? And also is it just my level or is there a certain level that mages start to do better dps? Should I even be worrying about my dps right now because it's sort of making me feel like I suck. :P Thanks -LesixLesix8 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Mana Gems, whhhhaaaaaat???? So I have recently heard of Mages use Mana Gems. What I would like answered is what do they do? Are they important to a Mage's gameplay? Should I get an Addon for them(Mage Nuggets)? Thanks in advance.Dethkoke9 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Mage leveling Just curious as to which spec my fellow mages think is optimal for leveling. I think frost for questing, but what about dungeons? Since dungeons is mainly where I level, is fire or arcane better? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!Inspire3 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Pom/Rof bug so i was in the battlegrounds this morning and was noticing that when i presence of mind/ ring of frost there's a bug. my presence of mind is spent, the outline of rof is there but as if you stopped it midcast and is still usable. Also a couple times it seemed to work but the rof wouldn't materialize for the approximate cast time it has. I'm aware that it's a channeled spell, however the ring should be still there for x seconds if i'm stunned for say, y seconds. i'm usually at 80world/home and have full sheeped after they run through it. maybe ther's a known bug or u can see something i'm missing? I know it's sometimes easy to miss getting cc'd in a group of people in a horrify/stun etc, but in that case the rof should be on cooldown but is not it's usable and the pom is on cd. is the combination too good and was changed to just not work sometimes nerf mages? ps thx for pomapRoflately1 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Stealth Changes? I keep seeing a few people mentioning we had stealth buffs/nerfs recently. Is there any merit to these claims, or is it just people being people?Lynox6 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Stealth nerf? Any other fire mages seeing different numbers this morning than even 18 hours ago?Deplane4 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Temporal Shield? Ice Barrier? Blazing Speed? (Patch 5.0.4) I have a feeling things aren't entirely leveled in the choice between a Mage's defensive talents. I would like to collect the opinions/theories/experiences on fellow Wizards who also have tried using the other two, but ultimately feel obligated to choose Ice Barrier as their talent, whether you're PvP or PvE. I tried using Blazing speed, only to be confined by its duration and CD. I understand how easy it is for this talent to become OP, but either slightly increasing its duration or reducing it's CD would surely cause many to reconsider it. The effect of Temporal shield is creative and exciting! However its duration makes it hardly useful! Apart from this fire Mage I also have an Arcane Mage who also had to switch to Ice Barrier from Temporal Shield after realizing its just all around better. Preventive Damage is better than any type of survival mechanic. Period. Just ask Disc Priests. Thoughts?Mooblue42 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Hunters How annoyed do you get when they completely ignore flag carriers, healers, and other objectives just to kill you?Lethos8 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Ultimate Mage Spec Hey guys, I just made a short video showing an awesome spec for BGs this patch and all the damage you can do with it. Check it out. Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Pyroblast proc question I decided to play this mage again and I'm wondering how to properly deal with pyroblast procs. Let's say I cast scorch, for instance, and it procs the 1st 'Heating Up', and I have an inferno blast ready to guarantee a pyroblast proc, well, most of the time, the 1st proc doesn't appear until I'm 3/4 through the cast of my next scorch spell, and if that's not a critical strike, then I have to restart all over. I was thinking about a stopcasting macro, but I don't realize that I even have the 1st proc until it's too late and my next scorch has already been cast. So, how do you deal with this issue, or am I missing something?Lexicus11 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Help! My castrandom broke! I used a /castrandom macro for polymorph so it would cast a random poly spell (cat, pig, turtle, etc.) with each cast. Now that the 5.0 patch is out, the macro seems to have broken and it'll only cast one spell in the random list. Not sure how to fix it. Anyone with advice?Sennel1 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Looking for a specific Mage PVP video @ lv60 I forgot his name, but he's a gnome mage in arcane spec that used to do a lot of world PVP and blow up Horde. In one of his vids he had an epic duel with a shadow priest in BRD. Would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out, im looking on warcraftmovies atm but having no luck.Nevaer3 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 OKay, so lemme know if I'm doing it right Alright, I haven't been on since 4.3 and I was usually hitting higher than most people (75%) of the time on the DPS charts. I decided to return and wow I"m not doing !@#$, lol. I hit maybe 6% of the total DPS in the group. xD I read up a lil bit on icy veins and noxxic try to get the new rotations and new talent system down, but for some reason I"m just not hitting high like I used to? I know it's widely debated, but has fire been toned down since 4.3? Here is what I do: Fireball until Heating Up procs Then hit Inferno Blast Use Pyroblast Continue with fireball Once I get 75 I'll keep up Living Bomb at all times. I have a feeling it's just because of my gear, but I'm not sure. Also, I use my cooldowns and other conditional spells when the need arises. Here is my gear: Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Just a simple question Why cant Frost DK's walk on water and not Frost Mages... any other mages ever felt this way?Aquaphina3 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Glyph of deep freeze lag Is it just me or is there a delay between when you nova the target to when you can actually deep when using this glyph? works fine off the gcd when you don't try to nova > deep right after, as in if you do it off the gcd with a finger proc. Seems that the game takes at least 1gcd worth of time to register the target has just become frozen. again only having problems when I try to deep right after a nova, there is a delay and it doesn't deep til the nova gcd is over. Just want to know if anyone else experiences this or if it is just lag on my end.Almace4 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Fatboss Mage Preview: Thoughts? Here's the video: Personally, while this guide was not bad, I felt that the mage they got to explain talents was a little biased. He implies several times that Ice Ward, Cold Snap, and Shatter are still things that seem exclusive to Frost, and as I'm sure a great deal of us know, that is untrue. The reviewer also seems to deem Nether Tempest the premier bomb, which it also untrue and biased against specs such as Frost and for pvpers. There's some other issues I have with the video too.Lynox7 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 Mage Update ! Skills Alter Time: New. Alter the fabric of time, causing the caster to return to their current location, health, mana, and conditions after 4 sec. Effect negated if the caster dies within the 4 sec before the effect occurs or moves too far away. Costs 1% of base mana, 3 min cooldown, Instant cast. Ancient Portal: Dalaran: New (Used in previously mentioned minor glyph that teleports you to Dalaran Crater instead of Dalaran City) Ancient Teleport: Dalaran: New (Used in previously mentioned minor glyph that makes a portal to Dalaran Crater instead of Dalaran City) Arcane Brilliance: Now grants 10% spell power and 5% criticial strike chance, in place of mana and spell power. Now costs 4% of base mana, down from 26%. Arcane Explosion: Now costs 3% of base mana, down from 15%. Blink: Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 12%. Blizzard: Now slows enemies by 50%. Now costs 5% of base mana, down from 74%. Burning Soul: Now a passive skill for all specs. Cone of Cold: Now slows enemies for 6 sec, down from 8 sec. Now costs 4% of base mana, down from 25%. Conjure Mana Gem: Now costs 18% of base mana, down from 75%. Conjure Refreshment: Now costs 3% of base mana, down from 40%. Counterspell: Now silences an enemy for 6 sec, down from 7 sec. Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 9%. Deep Freeze: No longer deals damage to targets that are permanently immune to stuns. Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 9%. Evocation: Now has a 2 min cooldown, down from 4 min. Wording change from "mana" to "total mana". Fire Blast: Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 21%. Flamestrike: Now has a 12 sec cooldown. Now costs 6% of base mana, down from 30%. Frost Armor: Now grants 5% spell haste. No longer grants physical damage reduction or slowing of enemies. Now has a 3 sec cast time and costs 3% of base mana. Armor spells no longer have a limited duration. Frost Bomb Cooldown Reduction: New. Haste reduces the cooldown of Frost Bomb. Frost Nova: Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 7%. Frostfire Bolt: Cast time increased to 2.75 sec, up from 2.5 sec. Wording change to remove "This spell will be checked against the lower of the target's Frost and Fire resists.". Now costs 4% of base mana, down from 9%. Ice Lance: Range increased to 40 yds, up from 35. Damage against frozen targets now tripled, up from doubled. Now costs 1% of base mana, down from 6%. Improved Counterspell: Now a passive skill for all specs. Invisibility: Now you are untargettable by enemies while invisible. Cooldown increased to 5 min, up from 3 min. Now costs 3% of base mana, down from 16%. Mage Armor: Now grants 5 Mastery. No longer grants increased magic resistance or extra mana regeneration. Now has a 3 sec cast time and costs 3% of base mana. Armor spells no longer have a limited duration. Mirror Image: Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 10%. Molten Armor: Now grants a 25% reduction of harmful physical effects used against you, as well as 5% increased spell critical strike chance, up from 3%. No longer does damage when you are attacked or a reduced chance to be critically hit. Now has a 3 sec cast time and costs 3% of base mana. Armor spells no longer have a limited duration. Nether Attunement: New. Your spell haste also increases your mana regeneration, and the effect of mana restores from Mage spells. Polymorph: All polymorph spells now cost 2% of base mana, down from 7%. Portal: All portal spells now cost 4% of base mana, down from 18%. Remove Curse: Now has an 8 sec cooldown and removes all curses from the target, up from 1. Now costs 2% of base mana, down from 8%. Ritual of Refreshment: Now has a 1 min cooldown, down from 5 min. Now costs 5% of base mana, down from 27%. Shatter: Now grants double chance for critical strike against frozen targets (was triple) plus an additional 40%. Now a passive skill for all specs. Slow Fall: Now costs 1% of base mana, down from 6%. Spellsteal: Now costs 7% of base mana, down from 40%. Teleport: All teleport spells now cost 3% of base mana, down from 8%. Time Warp: Now costs 4% of base mana, down from 26%.Vexeen7 Sep 14, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 New Power Aura's I'm having a hard time with the new Power Auras. Can anyone help me setup: (1) Living Bomb time remaining on target countdown timer (2) icon pop up when Inferno Blast is off CD?Arkennstone11 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Macros for Mages? I need some macros for combat. A lot of my macros broke when Cata came out. Can someone post some of their macros? I'm focused on Arcane until I improve my gear, thus Fire and Frost macros are welcome also. One thing that I want is to figure out how to link Presence of Mind with Polymorph. (If it could also mark the target with a moon or something that would be awesome!) Burn Phase macros are also needed, for more than one spec. =o) If someone can post them, cool! If someone can give me an appropriate link, great! Thanks! (Yes, I'm still gearing and enchanting and gemming. Don't laugh at my stuff too hard.) Adrian18 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Thoughts after switch from fire to frost PvE First time playing a mage, started as fire now i'm switching to frost to try it out. So far it seems frost is easier/requires less skill to play. it feels like less spells i have to worry about. I feel like fire is much stronger because they have some good DoTs and high crits with pyroblast. And a seemingly equal amount of control spells. Also fireball felt stronger than frostbolt I have yet to see any advantage frost has besides the pets freeze which is kind of nice. Edit:IM COMLETELY IN LOVE WITH FROST<3Virison3 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Fire or Frost for PVE? I really enjoy frost but there is alot more to focus on, i've noticed i can match it with fire, and depending on if its a boss i can beat it in DPS. I realize that frost is stronger then fire in aoe (atleast it seems that way to me). Just looking for some advice :)Maehix5 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 The Fire Mage Rotation Is this the fire "rotation" ComBustion Living bomb Fireball Inferno Blast Pyroblast only when I get a proc Question: Is Inferno Blast only used for AOE? Or do I hit that on cooldown? Question: I hear Scorch is better than fireball because it helps me get the proc sooner. So, should I do scorch or fireball? What about these spells? Do I ever need to use them as a fire mage. I mean other than being goofy... is there any real use for these as a fire mage? Ice Lance Frost Armor Frostfire Bolt Arcane Explosioin Blizzard Flamestrike Mage armor Cone of Cold How do you keep track of when Living Bomb is going to fall off? The little living bomb symbol is so small on the target... i have to strain my eyes to try to watch it tick.Sempronius4 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 mage PVE 5.0 I've been told Fire, correct or no/ Scorch or Presence of MindLycantrophyx9 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 What should my DPS be? I've been playing WOW for a really long time and it hasn't been until recently that I've wanted to really push for a spot in a hardcore raiding guild. I feel that whenever I am in raid I am on the lower end of the DPS meters, sometimes last or 2nd to last of the DPS. I read a lot of forum postings and guides and I really can't figure out why I under-perform. First could anyone point me to theorycrafting apps / sites where I can see what my theoretical output in my current gear should be? It'd be a great help if anyone could take a look at my gear and give me some idea of what I should be outputting.Gravitation8 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Fire Mage PvP So, what you guys think is better for fire mages in pvp now? Int > 6% hit > crit > mastery > haste I was thinking in that sequence, it's corret/better for fire? Thanks in advance!Zoing15 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Combustion\Ignite Hi, I'm three days into my conversion to a Fire Mage (played Arcane prior) and have been trying to get a good handle on when I should combust. There is a strong arguement to combust when your ignite is at a minimum level - say 13K. A counter arguement can be made that if you combust early on a boss fight - you will likely be able to combust again (I have the combustion glyph). Having said this - my question is: Can someone explain what the total damage of combustion (single target) is if my ignite is 10K vs 13K? I think this will help me decide how to handle combustion. Thank YouTrekie4 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Best PvP spec for leveling Hello mage community, I have decided to start leveling my 6th 85 and want it to be a mage. I use to understand mage talents pretty well, but then the patch came out :P I just got my mage to level 10, and can't decide which spec has the best damage in PvP at lower levels. For leveling my mage I mainly want to PvP with him. I will eventually switch to frost, but that won't be until I have access to all of the necessary spells for a proper rotation. I could be wrong though. Any advice is appreciated. (''\<(^_^)>/'') bear hugs all roundTeamfourstar6 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Mage help. Frostfire. I just wanted to know. If I wanted to go frostfire(I like the spell, leave me alone). What specalization benefits it most? Fire or Frost? Mage is only 67 atm and havent played her in almost a year.Hycista11 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 Combustion 5.0.5 hotfix ... Sorry for my ignorance in game mechanics, but is this a buff to combustion?Alesteir3 Sep 13, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 How to beat feral as fire after patch Hey , other great mages out there. How do u beat feral Druids as fire?? With their mobility n powerful hybrid heals, they never seem to diePearlblack8 Sep 13, 2012