Mage

Jan 31, 2012 Meeting SimC dps? Hello mage community, I have raided for a few years now and have done both hardcore and casual. Currently I'm in a casual guild and so far it's been great, low stress, awesome people and the "as long as what we're doing is downing bosses, no worries" attitude. Now we're doing logs, SimC, and theorycrafting; this is going beyond casual in my eyes and I'm wearily reminded of Ulduar and all the "homework" that went into hardcore raiding. What I ask of you magi is this: If you are 80-90% of your simulated maximum dps (from SimulationCraft; Ultraxion fight), is this good or bad? How important, or better yet, possible, is it to actually go beyond the low 90% to 96-100%? I'm a full-time student on my last semester and I don't have time for this, so any help would be appreciated! :DAesera11 Jan 31, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Fire Mage/ Affliction Lock arena Strats? Hey guys I'm planning to arena 2v2 with my affliccation lock friend as a fire mage once i get to 85. Was wondering if you guys had any strats, videos, tips, advice. Anything. Lemme know thanks!Arwing20 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Arcane or Fire PvE with patch? SO like the title says, is fire or arcane now the "better spec" for raiding with the fire nerf?Mathrion3 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Frostfire orb I've been noticing that recently as of 4.3 my Frostfire orb as been going through people and not hitting them. Is this just me or a known bug and if it is a bug is there a way to fix it.Frostmaswta2 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 mage pvp question when you use invisible does it work like a rogues stealth or is it just a pve move?Ahdayum7 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Haste Cap for Arcane With my items with 2pc Tier 13 and Insignia of the Corrupted Mind, what is the haste cap? I think I read 1268, but idk if that's right.Bloodmonster1 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Race/profession advice Hi, I created this new mage a few months ago. I am thinking at 85 I would prefer the looks of Draenei. Any advantage/disadvanges to this race change? I am mining/engineering right now, also considering going tailoring/enchanting, but thats gonna be a pain to start over I think. Thoughts on that? Thanks!Twinkie3 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Offhand? I'm about to hit 85 on my arcane mage. I plan on getting the 365 crafted dagger (Masterwork Elementium Spellblade) and the off-hand from halfus( Book of Binding Will), But I looked through Atlasloot and didn't see any off-hands. So, I'm just wondering: Is the only off-hand that is not from Halfus the 346 JP one? NOTE: I know Halfus isn't hard. I just need an off-hand before going in on my mage. For reference: My mage is named Remember and is on Ravencrest-US.Theappfan9 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Heroic Warmaster Blackhorn Anybody able to give tips that has killed this as a fire mage? Looking for any tips. With the large amount of movement needed, it's difficult to build stacks of the two set. Combustions have been kind of week and/or drakes die before you can get one off or spread it. I seriously don't want to have to go arcane but I'm already expecting to be arcane for Heroic Spine. The group make-up we use includes a shadow priest. So, the two of us are soaking with CDs.Slatra1 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 How To Fire 4.3 Just for people who want to go fire who r still arcane (HINT HINT). I dont claim to know the spec inside and out or pull the dps i should but i do understand the concepts of the spec so heres just a few noobs guidlines. First off is gear Gear- Your first VP purchase should b the cape or neck no matter what since they are BiS. Anything with mastery you want to generally stay away from but if it has intel boost get it since intel is ftw. Stat Priorities (shoulda put this first :P)- Intel>>>>>> 17%hit > 2205 haste without the t13 2pc or 1550 haste with the t13 2 peice. (correct me if im wrong. trying to jog the numbers from memory)>crit. after you get your hit cap and haste cap go crit. crit is what fire is fueled from. Gemming- I am kinda hazy at this myself but Red gems should b the +40 intel brilliant inferno rubys or the new epic intel gem. Yellow sockets should be getting the reckless gem. Rotation- Hardcast a pyro, put LB up, continue onto fireball spamming until you get a HS proc or your LB has exploded off your target. (Never refresh your LB bfore it explodes off your target, Never stop in the middle of a fireball cast just to catch a HS proc Itll be there when you finish casting.) You should only combust after a huge pyro crit. Anything less is just a waste of your combustion. Tell me if i missed anything or im just plain wrong in some aspects. Happy Critting :)Xmagic6 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Frostfire Bolt Glyph... First things first, the 15% damage increase is great and the removal of the chill effect makes it balanced. However, the DoT that it leaves is incredibly pathetic. If you get a 3 stack it only ticks for 423 on a target dummy (for me, and I have decent gear, stacking mastery (more DoT damage)). Is this working as intended? It seems incredibly low. Why not just remove the DoT effect honestly? The DoT's only use is dispel fodder in PvP.Entropy2 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Mastery seems to be more beneficial than we thought. So, I went to the training dummies and as FIRE spec, I reforged FROM: 2200 haste -> 1500 haste 29 % crit -> 24.5 % crit 33 % fire dots damage bonus from mastery (795) -> 50 % fire dots damage bonus from mastery (1795) My dps went up by 7 k just from that reforge. I was at 27 k dps on the training dummies from before I reforged... and after, I went to 34 k dps. All three training dummies were constantly being refreshed with living bomb. Hot streak procs were once every 15 seconds. Fireball was my main nuke. Critical mass was refreshed on each of the dummies. I spread hot streak out on each of the three dummies. combustion went on the dummy that had an ignite above 12 k and a hot streak crit of 45 k. Corinne59 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Water Elementals Need Names Please! I recently started playing a mage again, and I came to notice one huge issue that I have with playing them. As a frost mage, you get an awesome minion named <Water Elemental>! However, they are stuck with the boring name of <Water Elemental>. If I understand correctly, warlocks have the same exact types of minions (the fight for us, we summon them, and they do not go away until dismissed or killed) that get random names. Why then do mages, with the same type of minion, get a boring <Water Elemental> when the warlocks get sweet names? Could you imagine if a warlock's minion would be named exactly what it is, like <Big Demon with Axe>? At least let us get a name to begin with! What would be better though, is to have the ability to choose a name! What is so wrong with being able to customize our characters? I've always thought that <Listerine> would be a great name for my minion (honestly, that stuff hurts!), and party member's would get a heck of a laugh from it too. If the elemental was considered a 'Pet' I would say, look at hunters! They get to name their pets. But the elemental we get is considered a minion, so I am saying, 'Look at the warlocks! They get named minions!' Don't you think that is a little unfair? To have one class, able to summon minions, to get a named minion while the another very similar class, also able to summon a minion, does not?! Are mages less important than warlocks? I would think not! What hunter wants a pet name to be 'Cat?' What warlock desires their minions to be called 'Demon?' What mage enjoys being forced to have their minion named 'Water Elemental?' Please, give our Water Elementals names! Random names, player chosen names... it doesn't matter! Sincerely, A Concerned PlayerLumasul2 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Loving my Mage I'm a longtime player, played since '05. One of the only toons I never rolled to any real level was a Mage. I finally buckled down and did it just recently, and I just want to say that I don't think I've had more fun playing than I am right now on this guy. I know the game changes at 85 and all that, but its awesome right now. I can't believe what I've been missing out, and I have discovered that I really enjoy ranged dps. *mage fistbump* Lookin forward to being a part of the mage flock.Grisly7 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Trinket help Please comment on Foul Gift of the Demon Lord (+1149 Mastery proc, +383 Int) versus Insignia of the Corrupted Mind (+2904 haste proc, +458 Int) for an arcane mage in a Raid I have done the test many times on a target dummy and Insignia always comes out ahead. BUT, this question pertains to raiding (e.g. Madness) where I generally get raid hastes buff(s). With those buffs does it make sense to also proc 2904 haste? Am I not capping out and the extra haste goes to waste. Whereas, I would not cap out on the Mastery proc. As far as the int goes, the Insignia int gives me about 80-90 spell power. But, assuming the Foul Gift procs+cooldown is once every 2 mins, gives me 1149/6 = 200 * 1.5% = 300 - 80 ( from less int) = approx 200 'spell power'/damage from mana adept. While the Mastery is better I don't know what the haste is doing for me from the Insignia.Castrix1 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 As arcane, use entire mana pools to no avail. What am I doing wrong when I find a class that can take an entire mana pools worth of ABs and still be standing? Several times I come up against melee classes engaged in a fight with someone else and I will literally empty an entire mana pool on them and they will still be living? Absorb absorb immunity imminuty...etc. Im thinking..."wtf would /could I ever do against a class like that if it was just me vs him??" If you can free cast upwards to 18-22 ABs and they dont die? WTF? bottomline: Arcane is NOT pvp.... I use 390 gear when pvping..its not the gear...I use ABs when im left alone to cast...its not the player...ITS THE GAME. Its not balanced...never has been. I wish arcane (or anything but FROST ) was playable in Arenas/Random BGs....(I hear RBGs they are good...no idea, im sure any spec would do well under strat/cord RBG style of play)Meatballzz24 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 MoP Warlock talents Anyone else think the MoP Warlock talents seem badass? I know I'm already thinking of leveling my Warlock all the way up and going petless destro. What do you think Warlocks will be like in MoP?Entropy1 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Cunning vs Mastery trinkets I pvp occasionally and i use to use MWC + Theralions and i fell in love. as ive pvpd more though ive found on demand burst vastly superior to random procs. that being said ive been using Cunning in arena recently, its won me some matches suprisingly (cc'd. frostfire tics and sends a 35k cunning bolt and bam! i win lol) but what im wondering, and preferably from a high ranked mage or someone who knows what there talking about to tell whether id be better off continuing to use Cunning or a trinket like Theralions mirror?Zulzan4 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Huge combs. Right, so our surv hunter can't make raid nights as of next week and our unholy DK is bringing in his mainspec BM so we'll already have the 3% damage buff taken care of, thus I'm going fire. I know I should be hitting it during a big ignite proc, but just how big? I want to be hitting 20k+ combs but the highest I was ever able to manage was 19k and even then most only hit for 8-10k so I must be doing it at the wrong time. My dps doesn't look horrible but if I was able to hit big combustions it would be through the roof, which is what I want lmao. Anyone care to shed some light?Angel7 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 New to a mage please help!!! Ok so I am new to playing a mage, I have never leveled one before... I have one at about 60 now and i was wondering what kind of stats i should be chasing after.... Any tips or rotation help? I am frost but i like to go fire sometimes Please help if you can!!!Venatrïx2 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Fire mage needs help!dps/haste problems OK, so i play a fire mage and i have the rotation down , but i feel off and my dps suffers and i have no idea why! is my haste too high to where i do not benefit from it ? i tried Mr robot and one build they have me all haste , then they have a tier 13 + build and it has me all crit =? I'm really frustrated so if someone could look at my gear n reforges or inform me so i can get out of this funk that be GREAT =] please and thanksSyvernus18 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 ive been thinking i think wrath of the lich king had the right philosophy when it came to pvp stats haste was a 100% more balance and easier stat people cry that mages do too much damage in a shatter but back when wrath of the lich king our damage sucked and there were decent amounts of inturrupts, but no mage complained i guess what im saying is its quantatiy of quality and the amount of spells we could cast in a short period of time made up for all the instant damage we have in cataclysm so in hopes that haste makes a return to mage pvp i ask the devs WHY DID YOU HAVE TO CHANGE SHATTER DAM ITMithbem0 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 Arcane Mage Raiding Question Hi, I have 2 quick arcane mage gearish questions. 1) I recently got Isgina of corrupted mind. I'm at the haste soft cap so with TW my AB is 1 sec(4stacks). However if this trinkit happens to proc durring TW which is very likely. Then I'm having a ton of wasted haste. and I'm going to be getting my teir 13 2p soon. With all this haste. Does this devalue haste rating? Should I be reforging haste to hit and mastery etc instead of crit so I'm not global capped. and if anything changes there. Thx 2) Also. I know I'm not to close yet. But when I get my teir 13 4p. Reduced AP time. What is the whole plan on using this? Mini burn phases? Could someone tell me how to use this. If it's really that short of a CD I might not be able to have 10 stacks each time. Thanks in advance.Pyromatkiz8 Jan 30, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Need Advice from a t13 4 set fire mage Ive recently gotten into the fire spec and i was wondering if waiting for stolen time to get to 10 stacks before using combustion was worth it. Thank you for your timeVaeldis6 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Frost Mage Battleground tactics..? I am coming back to pvp yet again, though have never really been serious about it. Despite the fact that I seem to top the scoreboards in pug bg's as arcane, I am trying to force myself to learn frost. It seems like frost, although I may get less HK's and output damage, would contribute more to team wins with the slows, snares and shared mage freezes I'll be able to do. I'm wondering what kind of tactics to use when on the battlefield. Depending on the situation, I start any encounter in a bg by first polymorphing a target, usually a ranged dps. Then, I'll get to work on a healer...I'll cast frostbolt, then start using frost nova, cone of cold and my pet's nova -- using ice lance when they are frozen, and keeping them slowed with frostbolt. Then I'll switch to melee and do the same thing. I try to keep frostfire orb and ice barrier up also. Does anyone have any tips on how I can better myself, I seem to have trouble actually killing many targets. Does anyone know any guides out there on pvp frost magery ? Thank you.Blackworm6 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Water Elemental Just started leveling a mage and I went frost spec and got the water elemental!!! But what I don't like about it is the annoying noise when having it out. Is there a way of turning it off?Chibimonster5 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Pigboy 1 PvP Frost Mage (feat. Abni) Movie I just released today featuring R1 mage Abni and all the bg clips were fraps'd within a three day span. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZ4nCn09QA&context=C3bbd9d8ADOEgsToPDskLbAMrp_fJeBk19NK7Xmm01Iroknee0 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 NAO Tournament! Who else is watching this?!!?!?!?!?!?!?Jimraynor11 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Mage only guilds Does anyone know of any? RP or not, Horde or Alliance. Mostly just curious to see if any exist.Alkali4 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 what's wrong with my specs Hi, Can someone check my spec (gear, talents etc.) and explain to me what have i done wrong, because it seems i'm a poor DPS'r, even thou i followed all fire mage guide. will appreciate your help with this. tnxPhorix1 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Arcane NEEDs just a couple things... Ice Block...3 minute (2.5 be better ) Mana Shield absorbs 20k (sorry but 8k absorbs just dont get it...pets do that in 3 gcds) Before anyone says "but omg Arc is seriously op if given more survival"...not really. You only cast instants when trained. NO DPS THAT WAY. You can not free yourself up of slows...gg. The knockback from our shields does not even work. First you are slowed already and if you arent posistioned right you dont get the knockback at all. NOT AT ALL. Arc needs some help in pvp.Meatballzz61 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Critique my gear and where to go next? I just recently came back to wow and focused on getting my PvP set..bored with pvp now and thinking about getting more dungeons completed but wondering if i should reforge my gear till hit cap or stay with crit. I dont think ill ever be doing arenas or rated bgs anytime soon to get the cata gear..im just lost on what i could be doing to progress further i guess. Ive never done any heroics before..always lvl a char to 85 then get bored with it. trying to keep a drive with this char but just seems like soo many options to chose from..im not even sure if im geared right for heroics or not..any input is appreciated.Hotfiya2 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Counterspell macro question Is it possible to write a CS macro to follow the order of mouseover to focus target to current target all on one keybind. If anyone has one or one similar with a modifier it would be appreciated.Amixx1 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Trinkets for Arcane Which 2 trinkets from DS should I be using? I feel like insignia of the corrupted mind is not exactly a trinket that arcane would find useful, but I took it for the int. Thanks.Bloodmonster3 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Bad Arcane Mage Seeks Help I did a quick search of the forums. It seems there's no just Arcane Mage pvp stuff. Does anyone have a link to something? Specifically, I'm looking for stat weights for gemming/reforging. Any help would be great.Antujin3 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 VP trinket Is it worth getting for me?Rhadamar1 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 hot key assistance needed how do you hotkey spells that are not located on your primary action bar? i see special action bar options but they do not seem to do anything. also i dont like to use addons if i dont have to so if someone culd please give me this info without refering me to an addon that would be greatAhdayum5 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Combustion Confusion So I've been playing as Fire since 4.3 came out (and to be quite honest, it's my favorite spec). However, the way Combustion works confuses me. The tooltip says: Combines your damaging periodic Fire effects on an enemy target but does not consume them, instantly dealing x to y Fire damage and creating a new periodic effect that lasts 10 sec and deals damage per time equal to the sum of the combined effects. Now, for me, I always thought it was supposed to be used when you had all three Fire DoTs on your target: Living Bomb, Pyroblast, and Ignite. However, my conundrum is that Combustion doesn't do much damage even when all three are up (usually I get 6-8k, but rarely do I ever get anything beyond 10k). Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is it just an odd kink in the mechanics of the Fire DoT + Combustion combo?Makoraias14 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 29, 2012 Are mages (ice) really good for pvp? I made this character hoping to do some pvp ownage in the future. Are ice mages really good at pvp during end game? And also, can someone please post a complete talent tree focused on pvp? I still don't know where to put pointsDazningô6 Jan 29, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Help me help a mage! (arcane) One of the people in my raid group (a mage) is having trouble with his dps and I just can't figure out what the problem is. I asked another mage guildie to help him out. So here's the situation... The troubled mage, we'll call him Tom, has an ilevel of 393. The helping guildie, we'll call him Jerry, has an ilevel of 383 (a full 10 points less). Jerry sat down with Tom, and worked on his spec, reforges, and rotation so they were identical to what Jerry was using. Jerry could find only a few small things wrong with what Tom was doing. Yet Jerry was out dpsing Tom? Jerry went as far as to bring him to the dummies and tell him what to cast over vent...like spell by spell. And Jerry watched Tom's castbar, and Tom was doing everything right. Yet and still, Jerry out dpsed Tom. Tom is frustrated, Jerry is frustrated and confused, and me...I just want to know what could possibly be happening here. Any ideas?Saryah10 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 How do I deal with Frost Dks? I don't mean to sound cocky but I do pretty well against more class/specs. But a Frost Dk I can never beat or I have a really tough time beating frost death knights in general. So I was wondering any one have any tips?Pepitøs12 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 New mage Hey all I'm making a mage to do learn the class a bit more and to figure out how to be more affective against them also I never rolled a caster and healing isn't my thing haha. Just some questions. I want to level through BG's and was told arcane is the way to go is that true? Any other tips for BG's that I may need to know about? Thanks Mage Community you made me stay here warm and pleasant. 5 stars!Okin10 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Ice Lance Visual Update Idea This is just something I came up with in my spare time. Currently, the ice lance of the present looks like a blast of icy cold piercing into an enemy. How about making it instead into an large icicle trailing frosty blue sparkles, that flies from the caster's hands and stabs the opponent, possibly shattering on impact? I think it would be a really cool visual change to this ability!Lastren0 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Help my DPS Okay first thing first, I have looked at other forums and tried to use their ideas about dps, however I just cant seem to get my dps up so I am looking for some personal opinions and help. I know I do not have enchants and the one gem in my helm I am missing I have but have not put it in yet because I recieved the helm last night. So I am a fire mage and in raids and dungeon bosses(except well of eternity) I just cant seem to get my dps up past 18-20k. I start out my fight by using scorch, living bomb, then mirror image. I will then use fireball until it procs my pyroblast and reapply living bomb then use combustion. I will also use fireblast if adds are around when I can apply impact, and I just keep using fireball as my filler spell. I never ever have a problem with mana and I hear fire mages complaining all the time about mana, so I think I might be doing something wrong. I would love criticism and help. Thank you.Fròsty0 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Just Wondering... Hey guys, Me and my friend are lvling together and will be focusing on pvp at the end game mostly. I was wondering if a mage/warlock combo for 2’s would work. My other friend may also start to play and in that case we would have a mage/warlock/shaman. Are these acceptable combos for arenas? Any advice/tips greatly appreciated! Krenn5 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Raiding Arcane mage looking for help Ok all.. so I belong to a Raiding guild and my group does NOT have the 5% spell haste buff in it :( I know.. Hurts pretty bad but with the make up we are running it's what we're dealing with and making the best of it. So my question is... Do Arcane mages really need to get to that soft haste cap? Without that 5% spell haste buff, it makes it pretty damn hard to reach the soft haste cap with my current gear. I can do it, but it drops my Mastery down a LOT in order to reach it. I've done several solo dummy dps trials and when I reforge into the Haste soft cap version I seem to drop about 1k dps compared to what I am in right now which I'd like to call Mastery>haste>crit priority. Trying to stack as much Mastery as possible while still maintaining Hit cap. I just find myself banging my head against the wall trying to find out what the perfect combination is in order to boost my dps #'s up a bit. So any and all advice on what to try to aim for stats wise with this current set up would be greatly appreciated!Crixius10 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Ask Mr. Robot Vs. Rawr Lately I've been seen a lot of discrepancies between the two programs. Rawr is up to date. Anyone else notice anything similar? What is truly the preferred platform for Mage optimization?Trife14 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Fire dps. Hey guys. Now I realise I'm not 85, but I wanna ask... Does fire get any better? I'm only able to do about 2k on a 70 target dummy. I was feeling good about it, until I popped out arcane, and did 3.8k. Does fire scale it's damage with the more gear you get, or the more haste etc you get?Displayname2 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Shatter What do you do inside a shatter? a frostbolt and two icelances?Zaand8 Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 Your opinion on Kirin Tor Mage T8? Just seeing what people's opinions are on it, as I never see anybody with it. Just too annoying to get? Too ugly? I have the 25m Helm and Chest piece now, doing 25m Ulduar tonight in hopes to grab the rest of the set, always been my favorite set for whatever reason. Going to try and grab the staff Intensity as well, favorite staff in the game :) http://www.wowhead.com/item=45171/intensity#screenshots:id=128406 Anyway your opinions and such?Eraedis15 Jan 28, 2012